Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

In various charity shops in Edinburgh and the Borders Region...

Mozart. Violin concertos 2 & 4. Anne-Sophie Mutter. Philharmonic Orchestra/ Muti.

Richard Strauss. Eine Alpinesinfonia / Rosenkavelier Suite. Vienna Philharmonic conducted by Christian Thielemann.

Beethoven. Middle period string quartets. Emerson Quartet.

Mozart. Piano concertos 20 & 25. Martha Argerich. Orchestra Mozart conducted by Claudio Abbado.

Britten. 'Cello suites 1&2 and 'cello Sonatas. Rostropovich with the composer.

Bartok . The three piano concertos. Géza Anda. Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Ferenc Fricsay.

Homage to Scotland. Mendelssohn 'Scottish' Symphony, Berlioz, 'Rob Roy' overture. Niels Gade, 'Echoes of Ossian and Debussy's 'Marche écossaise sur un thème populaire'. The BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jerzy Maksymiuk. (I was particularly pleased to get this one since my local Oxfam wanted £9.99 for it! Needless to say, I passed! This one was 50p).

Comment

• visualnickmos
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      In various charity shops in Edinburgh and the Borders Region...

Britten. 'Cello suites 1&2 and 'cello Sonatas. Rostropovich with the composer.

Bartok . The three piano concertos. Géza Anda. Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Ferenc Fricsay.
      Star bargains, if ever there were any - you've done well

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
        Star bargains, if ever there were any - you've done well
        Thanks. Mind you, I've just checked Amazon and the Bartok cd is available for 9p!

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

A local dog charity's shop in Redruth yielded this for 90p, bought on the off-chance https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEnfant-Pro...ebussy+maderna

On return home, extremely gratifying to find that the 2 s/h Marketplace copies were priced at £398 and £1013 Was just booking my Mediterranean cruise when a little more Googling suggested recent prices in the UK of 36 quid max Ah well, the music, conductor and soloists still look interesting!
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
            A local dog charity's shop in Redruth yielded this for 90p, bought on the off-chance https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEnfant-Pro...ebussy+maderna

On return home, extremely gratifying to find that the 2 s/h Marketplace copies were priced at £398 and £1013 Was just booking my Mediterranean cruise when a little more Googling suggested recent prices in the UK of 36 quid max Ah well, the music, conductor and soloists still look interesting!
            I have taken a chance on this being the same pair of discs.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
              Thanks. Mind you, I've just checked Amazon and the Bartok cd is available for 9p!
              But with an extra £2.78 P&P, so, if you paid less than £2.87, you've still saved money - and Helped the Aged (or whichever worthy cause).

(A shop that charges £2.78 for an item that costs about 70p to post isn't a worthy cause in my book!)
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Parry1912
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                A shop that charges £2.78 for an item that costs about 70p to post isn't a worthy cause in my book!
                70p! What century are you living in?
                Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                  Blimey!!! Not this one, evidently ... I've just checked!

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                    £1.22, ferney! They just increase the pp to make something on the deal. Amazon are the only real winners in these deals!

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Marazion this morning - Mozart PCs 9CD set Uchida/ECO/Tate £2 and very few duplicates.

Comment

• Conchis
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2014

In Leamington Spa today, I picked up the Hickox Chandos recording of Troilus and Cressida. £4.99. Pricey but it rarely turns up in these places and I can recall turning it down for a tenner before Christmas.

Also picked up the Dorati Phase 4 recording of Peter and the Wolf, etc, mainly because I was curious about Sean Connery as the Narrator. He gives the most violent account of the text I’ve ever heard.
                        Last edited by Conchis; 01-02-18, 21:27.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Every now and again a Charity shop purchase at 50p is a 'well why not even though I know nothing about the recording' and so it was today in Hayle I bought a Capriccio CD by the Budapest Strings of Tchaikovsky's music. The main work is Souvenir de Florenceplus some shorter pieces witH Cello or Violin solo parts inc Valse Scherzo and Pezzo Capriccioso. Beautiful playing and sound!

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Bought this morning:
                            Borodin: Symphonies 1-3, String Quartet No, 2, Prince Igor highlights, In The Steppes of Central Asia,For the Shores of your Far-off Land.
                            Ghaiurovs/Borodin Quartet/LSO/RPO/OSR/Ansermet/Ashkenazy/Downes/Martinon/Solti
                            'Double Decca' 455 632-2
                            50 p

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                              Bought this morning:
                              Borodin: Symphonies 1-3, String Quartet No, 2, Prince Igor highlights, In The Steppes of Central Asia,For the Shores of your Far-off Land.
                              Ghaiurovs/Borodin Quartet/LSO/RPO/OSR/Ansermet/Ashkenazy/Downes/Martinon/Solti
                              'Double Decca' 455 632-2
                              50 p
                              Excellent performances, decent recordings: a covetable bargain!

Comment

• Alison
                                • Nov 2010

Why don't I listen to Borodin symphonies? I love 'em all.

Comment

Working...
                                X