X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Superfluous CDs

I've probably asked this question before but here goes.

What am I to do with the pile of unwanted CDs that are duplicates (or even triplicates) of those I've since bought in big boxes? Neither Amazon nor E-bay seem to offer cost effective solutions and both appear to be too time consuming anyway. Does Music Magpie still exist? Has anyone tried it if it does? Last time I looked several years ago the prices offered were laughable and hardly worth the effort.

So is it to be the charity shop then? There are about half a dozen of them in town so plenty of choice. Something has to be done as the pile in my bedroom is threatening to topple over and bring the house down with it.

What do other forumites do with theirs?
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Charity Shops - spread the joy in the name of a good cause (and enable Forumistas to add to the "Charity Shop Trawl" Thread )
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Charity Shops - spread the joy in the name of a good cause (and enable Forumistas to add to the "Charity Shop Trawl" Thread )
      It does seem the only viable alternative doesn't it? Unless, that is, someone comes up with another idea.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Anna

Firstly: Ask friends and classical loving neighbours if there's anything they would like (no money changes hands but if they take a few they'll probably give you a bottle of wine, box of chox, bunch of flowers when they next see you)
        Then charity shops. If I have anything a bit out of the ordinary or 'niche' (in either cds or books) then I give those to Oxfam as they sell online, remainder are distributed evenly around other charity shops but if the local Church fete is coming up I donate for their book/cd stall.
        Last time I looked at Music Magpie it seemed to had to send quite a lot for not a lot of return (well at least I didn't seem to own anything of great rarity - you may well do)

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Jump on a train Pet.
          Take a trip to Stockport.
          Donate to the various charity shops there.
          Let me know when you've done it.
          I'll then go and have a look.

I've never found any decent classical cds in them.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
            Jump on a train Pet.
            Take a trip to Stockport.
            Donate to the various charity shops there.
            Let me know when you've done it.
            I'll then go and have a look.

I've never found any decent classical cds in them.

Thanks in advance.

There's been nothing decent (music-wise!) in Stockport since the 78 Record Exchange closed about ten years ago. Do you know Sifters on Fog Lane in Didsbury? They often have quite a decent selection.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I'm lucky enough to have a son who is a classical music fanatic, like me. His collection grows rapidly, with him having to spend a penny.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
                There's been nothing decent (music-wise!) in Stockport since the 78 Record Exchange closed about ten years ago. Do you know Sifters on Fog Lane in Didsbury? They often have quite a decent selection.
                Yes thanks Ros,not been there for years,must revisit soon.

That's the shop that gets a mention in an Oasis song I think.

Comment

• soileduk
                  • Nov 2010

It's a shame you, and those in a similar position, can't list them somewhere on this website. It would be more of a public service than the present BBC is.

…is there, perhaps, a management friendly way of using the 'swaps' thread. If we can kind of, sort of ask for donations or something like that? Maybe.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by soileduk View Post
                    It's a shame you, and those in a similar position, can't list them somewhere on this website. It would be more of a public service than the present BBC is.
                    This was tried a couple of years ago - I think the response from Forumistas didn't match the effort of typing the list and details of the items on offer.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      I'm lucky enough to have a son who is a classical music fanatic, like me. His collection grows rapidly, with him having to spend a penny.
                      He gets that excited?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        This was tried a couple of years ago - I think the response from Forumistas didn't match the effort of typing the list and details of the items on offer.
                        This board was established, but not much used: http://www.for3.org/forums/forumdisp...84-CD-Exchange
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          This board was established, but not much used: http://www.for3.org/forums/forumdisp...84-CD-Exchange
                          Yes - the "logistics" seem a little daunting: first of all you have to type out the details of what you have to offer (which "Karajan Eroica"? The 1984 original or the 1990s remastering?) then there's no response to 70% of what you offer, but seven Forumistas want one particular disc - so six are going to have their gruntles dissed - and then you have to send out PMs to get a delivery address, then find envelopes (darn - eight discs to send and only five envelopes that fit; I'll have to go out and get some more) then post them - ah! the Post Office is shut for lunch - I'll come back first thing tomorrow morning - when all the local Pensioners are getting their money .....

If you haven't got a handy CD shop that buys and sells second-hand disc, just give them to the Charity Shops!

Comment

• umslopogaas
                            • Nov 2010

If the CDs are old and no longer available new, or of obscure repertory and likely to have been issued in small numbers, and particularly if both descriptions apply, it would be worth checking on their collectible status before giving them to the charity shop. I dont collect CDs myself (I simply accumulate them, which is not quite the same thing) but I believe some are now quite valuable, because collectors are prepared to pay significant money for them.

I have the same problem, of buying big bargain boxes containing CDs I've already got. For example, I have several Callas opera recordings on the original LPs, then on the CD reissue at full price, now again in the huge bargain "Callas remastered" CD box. Having got them all for a bargain price in the remastered box the earlier full price CDs are superfluous, but having paid a lot for them I'm reluctant to give them away.

A bit off topic, but I do collect classical LPs and it used to be possible to get bargains in Oxfam shops (though I never found one). However, Oxfam got wise to the fact that they were selling LPs off cheap and employed someone to price them. He (its pretty well bound to be a he) then proceeded to grossly overprice them, charging for worn out rubbish what a collector would expect to pay for a pristine item. I gave up looking in Oxfam years ago.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                              If the CDs are old and no longer available new, or of obscure repertory and likely to have been issued in small numbers, and particularly if both descriptions apply, it would be worth checking on their collectible status before giving them to the charity shop. I dont collect CDs myself (I simply accumulate them, which is not quite the same thing) but I believe some are now quite valuable, because collectors are prepared to pay significant money for them.

I have the same problem, of buying big bargain boxes containing CDs I've already got. For example, I have several Callas opera recordings on the original LPs, then on the CD reissue at full price, now again in the huge bargain "Callas remastered" CD box. Having got them all for a bargain price in the remastered box the earlier full price CDs are superfluous, but having paid a lot for them I'm reluctant to give them away.

A bit off topic, but I do collect classical LPs and it used to be possible to get bargains in Oxfam shops (though I never found one). However, Oxfam got wise to the fact that they were selling LPs off cheap and employed someone to price them. He (its pretty well bound to be a he) then proceeded to grossly overprice them, charging for worn out rubbish what a collector would expect to pay for a pristine item. I gave up looking in Oxfam years ago.
                              Yes. One of our local Oxfam shops is like that with CDs. There are stupid stickers on the boxes saying how much a given disc would cost to buy on Amazon!

Comment

Working...
                              X