Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

The greatest conductors of orchestral music by the Strauss family, Lehar et al

A frivolous topic no doubt - but my favourites are rather obvious ones - Carlos Kleiber's sensational pair of New Year Concerts from 1989 and 1991 - VPO/Boskovsky and Barbirolli's Viennese Night recordings on Pye HMV and live on BBC Legends - nobody could conduct Gold and Silver like him .
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    A frivolous topic no doubt - but my favourites are rather obvious ones - Carlos Kleiber's sensational pair of New Year Concerts from 1989 and 1991 - VPO/Boskovsky and Barbirolli's Viennese Night recordings on Pye HMV and live on BBC Legends - nobody could conduct Gold and Silver like him .
    Hiya Barbirollians,

I agree Boskovsky and Klieber are top drawer with Strauss in the New Year Concerts. For me the least suited to the annual event at the Golden Hall is Franz Welser-Möst; although he is Austrian. I also think that Manfred Honeck an Austrian too is excellent in the music of the Strauss family. I thought the great Mariss Jansons looked a bit off colour this year in the New Year Concert. It will be fasinating to see if Dudamel will liven up the proceedings next year.
    Last edited by Stanfordian; 28-01-16, 18:32.

Comment

• mathias broucek
      • Nov 2010

I would make the case for **Erich** Kleiber as an even greater Straussian than Carlos

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Sir John liked a bit of schmaltz and could rely on Martin Milner to add a bit. Loughran continued the Halle tradition well at the Proms and Bryden Thomson recorded some with the Halle.
        I'd add Dorati and Bohm to those mentioned by others.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
          • Jul 2011

Anyone remember an old HMV Concert Classics LP conducted by Henry Krips? That was pretty good although I think it was an ad hoc band with a 'recording' name.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
            Anyone remember an old HMV Concert Classics LP conducted by Henry Krips? That was pretty good although I think it was an ad hoc band with a 'recording' name.
            Was he related to Joseph Krips ? Never heard of Henry .

Where can Erich K's Strauss family recordings be found . Agree about FWM - far too stiff for my liking .

Comment

• Roslynmuse
              • Jul 2011

Was he related to Joseph Krips ? Never heard of Henry .

Where can Erich K's Strauss family recordings be found . Agree about FWM - far too stiff for my liking .
              Henry was Josef's brother, I think.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Just looked him up - so he was and was the conductor of the Adelaide symphony orchestra for an age .

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Where can Erich K's Strauss family recordings be found?
                  Not currently readily available, but:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mikealdren
                    • Nov 2010

A great topic. I find that Boskovsky can be rather variable, his big EMI box is useful for completeness but not always the most lively performances. The Vanguard lollipops/bonbons etc. with a small group are really excellent as are the similar (but much more recent) Waltz Kings from Ensemble Wien.

Mike

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

Don't know when, or if, I'll ever listen to this rep again, but I loved these back in the day (acoustic vividly present - Wilkinson/Vienna) ....

Comment

• mahlerei
                        • Jun 2015

Listening to the Honeck as I type and while the performances are fair to middling it sounds like it was recorded in a cave. I have a soft spot for the 1979 New Year's Day Concert with Boskovsky, one of Decca's very first digital releases.
                        Last edited by mahlerei; 28-01-16, 21:11.

Comment

• slarty

Originally posted by mahlerei View Post
                          Listening to the Honeck as I type and while the performances are fair to middling it sounds like it was recorded in a cave. I have a soft spot for the 1979 New Year's Day Concert with Boskovsky, one of Decca's very first digital releases.
                          Which was unfortunately, Boskovsky's last. Then we had a period of seven long years of Maazel which was finally broken by one of the greatest New Year's concerts of my experience, Herbert von Karajan, followed by Abbado in 1988 and the great 1989 concert with Kleiber. Boskovsky, Karajan and Kleiber, great men for this repertoire. No one has come close since then except Carlos in 1992.

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

Pretre is my favourite among more recent New Year conductors. Mehta was good in 2007 but disappointing in 2015. I am most certainly with Stanners in regarding Welser-Most as a big big disappointment.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

I listened to, and watched, the Boskovsky New Year concerts from 1972 and he was the very essence of Viennese gemütlichkeit and stands head and shoulders above all interpreters of this music, in my opinion. I bought his annual Decca recordings as they came out and love them still. If anyone wants to savour the exuberance of a Boskovsky New Year's concert there is a DVD available on DG. I saw Boskovsky twice, most memorably at the RFH in London when my parents took me as a 21st birthday present for a concert with the BBC Concert Orchestra on June 14 1975.

Karajan, like Boskovsky, had this music in his blood and as Slarty says, the 1987 New Year's concert was undoubtedly the finest of all. Moreover, he recorded Strauss throughout his career and in preparing for the 1987 concert Karajan went back to his VPO recordings for EMI from 1948/9 on which to model his interpretations.

By the way, Boskovsky was due to conduct a 1980 concert I attended but, alas he was ill by then and his place was taken by ... Henry Krips!

One shouldn't forget Clemens Krauss either, the first NYC conductor. Enthusiasts should check out a CD of the 1954 New Year's concert (complete with Austrian Radio announcements) which is a joy and in pretty decent sound too.

Of those since Karajan, only Carlos Kleiber has come anywhere near to achieving the magic of both Boskovsky and Karajan.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                              X