Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

After a difficult day it is back to that 1950s Bruno Walter NYPO Mahler 2 - it is extraordinarily right . If you know what i mean .

Comment

• akiralx
      • Oct 2011

Among more recents M2s I like Boulez on DG and P Jarvi on Virgin.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Which Solti, Chicago or London?
        I may do both, come to think of it! I always liked his London series though
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

This morning I received a call informing me that a chum had died suddenly very early this morning. I'd only spoken to him yesterday evening, and followed up this morning with an (now, to be forever unanswered) email.

In my sadness and disbelief I listened to Solti's LSO Mahler second. How utterly appropriate and moving it was...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Terrible news, visnick. All best wishes to you and all his friends and family.

(Good choice of Music, too.)
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• verismissimo
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
              This morning I received a call informing me that a chum had died suddenly very early this morning. I'd only spoken to him yesterday evening, and followed up this morning with an (now, to be forever unanswered) email.

In my sadness and disbelief I listened to Solti's LSO Mahler second. How utterly appropriate and moving it was...

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

How very sad and how illustrative of the fact we must never take those we care about for granted . Deepest sympathies .

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Very sorry to hear your sad news. It just so happened that I attended a Prom performance of Mahler 4 (LSO/Haitink) just a few days before my mother passed away and I think of her every time I hear the third movement of that symphony, something that I will probably always now do.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nimrod
                    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    The Solti LSO Mahler 1 and 2 are available for only £5.99 on a double decca from Amazon and I bought them after the Mahler 1 thread - hope to get to listen to them this weekend .

I have never heard Mahler 2 in concert - I must remedy that .
                    Just noticed your astonishing comment about never having heard a live Mahler 2, Barbirollians. Have you now put that one to bed? I've heard Barbirolli, Rattle, Kempe, Haitink and Klemperer.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                      Just noticed your astonishing comment about never having heard a live Mahler 2, Barbirollians. Have you now put that one to bed? I've heard Barbirolli, Rattle, Kempe, Haitink and Klemperer.
                      Sadly not - I am very envious of your list .

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

What did you make of the LSO/Solti Barbs?

An excellent recording IMHO.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          What did you make of the LSO/Solti Barbs?

An excellent recording IMHO.
                          I am mortified to admit that I have not listened to it yet but am prompted to put it to the top of the pile .

Comment

Working...
                          X