Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

I've been listening to a marvellous performance on a cd I bought some time ago. It must have been second hand since its been signed by the soloist!

This recording is from Philippe Quint with the Sofia Philharmonic Orchestra under Martin Panteleev on an sacd on the Avanticlassic label. It's coupled with the Arensky Quartet for violin, viola and 2 'cellos. A work worth hearing.

For me, everything about the solo playing is superb. Technically it's extremely good and it's exciting without being over the top. Quint makes a marvellous sound from his 1708 'Ruby' Stradivarius instrument and the recording appears to catch his sound well. (Alas, I've not yet heard him live).

For me, this is 9/10, losing one mark for conducting that, whilst, very good, isn't quite in the Andris Nelsons league. However, what is very interesting about Quint's recording is that he has recorded the last movement twice! The original Tchaikovsky version and the '... controversially condensed version by Leopold Auer'. (As the notes tell us). So, anyone wanting to compare the two renditions could do much worse than obtain this cd.

The original 3rd movement is first up which means that should one wish to hear the concerto in Auer's version, a certain amount of playing with the running order is necessary. (My Quad machine takes a second to go from track 2 to 4).

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Many thanks to whoever sent me in the direction of the Ralph Holmes' recording. It arrived today and will be added to the pile!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Reading the article, with its reference to Steinbacher using "Tchaikovsky’s original version, without cuts, in the David Oistrakh edition", it does suggest that these "cuts" are just the traditional "stutters" in the Finale.
        Having now followed the Steinbacher performance with the score, I can confirm this is indeed the case - it's the traditional score as published by Eulenburg edited by Gerald Abraham (Eulenbuerg Edition No 708).
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

I have ordered the Holmes - his unicorn recording of the Delius Concerto, Suite and Legende I have loved for over 30 years.

Apart from all of Ida H's recordings - I love the Chung/ Previn recording , oistrakh/Ormandy, Milstin/Abbado, mutter/Previn,Francescatti, Frang and Ferras/Silvestri accounts .

The live Menuhin is special in that it has great seriousness especially in the Canzonetta .

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

I have enjoyed the Holmes a great deal . A really light on its feet dancing account . The fill ups are very unremarkable and who decided to fillet out only the Love Theme from Bpult's recording of Romeo and Juliet .

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              I have enjoyed the Holmes a great deal . A really light on its feet dancing account . The fill ups are very unremarkable and who decided to fillet out only the Love Theme from Bpult's recording of Romeo and Juliet .
              I've listened to the Holmes recording in the car a couple of times and I've really enjoyed it. I must listen to it on the big hi-fi. Yes, the 'Love Theme' idea is quite bizarre as well as the tracks being incorrectly ordered. Mind you, for a £ I suppose we can hardly complain.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

As a supplement to my other Igor Oistrakh recordings, I've been listening to another version I discovered. This is a live recording with the Sofia Philharmonic Orchestra under Sasha Popov. Although Oistrakh's playing is predictably terrific and the Orchestra and conductor give him sterling support, the cd itself is appallingly low on production values.

The recording is live and the first movement is slightly marred by persistent coughing and a door that seems to slam every so often. The end of the first and last movements are faded before the last chord has died away as if the producers didn't want to admit to the recording being live. It's on the 'Armada' label and appears to be unavailable at the moment.

Despite its flaws, I still love this recording due to Oistrakh's wonderful playing which strikes me as being more overtly emotional than his studio recordings. Playing to a live audience was obviously a big inspiration to him. The conductor really whips the orchestra up to a frenzy during the first movement Tuttis and there's some lovely playing from the wind in the slow movement.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                  • Nov 2010

Odd compilation, this - had it for years, but it really is only the violin concerto that I'm bothered about. It's well-recorded and played beautifully. But - oh, the fillers! What the thinking was behind them is a mystery! A little chunk of R&J! I will have to spin the 1812 again - can't remember if I liked it or not!
                  Nutcracker 'bits' - no thank you.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                    Odd compilation, this - had it for years, but it really is only the violin concerto that I'm bothered about. It's well-recorded and played beautifully. But - oh, the fillers! What the thinking was behind them is a mystery! A little chunk of R&J! I will have to spin the 1812 again - can't remember if I liked it or not!
                    Nutcracker 'bits' - no thank you.
                    Yes fillers are a waste of listening time .

Reading the notes to the Audite release of the Menuhin/Fricsay account it says that the Auer version cuts 16 bars at the beginning of the development section in the first movement but chopped 254 bars out of the finale.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

- I haven't listened to them since.

Reading the notes to the Audite release of the Menuhin/Fricsay account it says that the Auer version cuts 16 bars at the beginning of the development section in the first movement
                      In which the soloist doesn't play!

but chopped 254 bars out of the finale.
                      - out of 639 bars that's quite an amputation! (2/5 of the movement.)

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

- I haven't listened to them since.

In which the soloist doesn't play!

- out of 639 bars that's quite an amputation! (2/5 of the movement.)
                        Yes - the Auer version is rather grim Heifetz used to play it as well but I imagine perhaps in his later recordings he didn"t ?

Comment

• visualnickmos
                          • Nov 2010

Reading the notes to the Audite release of the Menuhin/Fricsay account it says that the Auer version cuts 16 bars at the beginning of the development section in the first movement but chopped 254 bars out of the finale.
                          Was there any finale left?
                          I really don't like it when conductors see fit to chop bits out of works. Szell completely b*****s up Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra by doing so. If it wasn't for that it would be a fabulous recording....

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                            Was there any finale left?
                            3/5 of it!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                              • Nov 2010

3/5 of it!
                              Basically decimated!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

I listened to Salvatore Accardo's recording on Philips this morning. His interpretation is very urbane and civilised but still containing much character. A lovely sound and, of course, fabulous technique which is always at the service of the music and never simply as a show off device.

The BBC Symphony are conducted by the much missed Sir Colin Davis who brings out details in the orchestration I've not noticed before. There's a lovely, firm bass line!

Very highly recommended!

Comment

Working...
                                X