X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • otterhouse
    • Dec 2010

The unknown Beethoven

Here is a playlist with (what I assume) are lesser known works by Ludwig van Beethoven.

classical playlist spotify . A blog about classical music playlists on Spotify . Beethoven Mozart Vivaldi Max Bruch . Orchestra violin piano cello

Justly forgotten?
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

I have all of those folksongs by Beethoven in a boxed set issued by DG as part of its complete edition released some years ago. The works and performances are delightful and personally I would say that many of them certainly do not deserve to be forgotten.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

IIRC Roehre posted a few pointers towards off the beaten track LvB a while back.
      There is a marvelous Naxos CD of the Op 29 String Quintet (Fine Arts Quartet + Gil Sharon),it's a super piece IMO.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

String quintet of " An Equal Music " fame .

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

No mention of the Piano Quartet Op16 - an arrangement of the Piano &Wind Quintet - a very pleasant work.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by otterhouse View Post
            Here is a playlist with (what I assume) are lesser known works by Ludwig van Beethoven.

classical playlist spotify . A blog about classical music playlists on Spotify . Beethoven Mozart Vivaldi Max Bruch . Orchestra violin piano cello

Justly forgotten?
            The Sonata for Pianoforte and Horn Op 17 is certainly not 'forgotten', and I have now posted on that website, refuting their nonsensical assertion about the work.

Comment

• AlanE
              • May 2015

The reference to Beethoven's folk song settings reminds me that I had an LP in the 1980s of Robert White singing a selection (with YoYo Ma on cello!) One of the arrangements - The British Light Dragoons - with words by Walter Scott to an Irish folk tune had a line about the dragoons with 'their swords of Sheffield steel'. Having been brought up in that city I was thrilled by the idea that Beethoven had been made aware of my hometown and its metallic renown! I also discovered that Beethoven had complained to his publisher George Thompson that the lyrics were not usually supplied with the requests for arrangements for piano trio. In the case of Scott's poem, I'm sure Beethoven had access to the words; the 'slash, slash, slash' of the swords is so evocotively conveyed in the arrangement. I don't know much about Robert White's career but he is beguiling in these songs. BBC4 have recently been repeating editions of The Good Old Days (from the 1970s) and he was in one of the programmes, gamely joining in with the ethos of the show...

Comment

Working...
              X