X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Aaron Copland recordings

I have an Everest (supposedly) recording of Copland conducting Billy the Kid and the Third symphony.

Mine looks like this - https://www.amazon.com/Copland-Billy.../dp/B001885BYS

This post is/was hopelessly incomplete. Something seemed to hang up on the site. There was at least one more paragraph ....

Oh well .... So .... going forwards .... horrible expression .....

Looking at the review from that site there is a suggestion that Copland also recorded it again with the LSO - (on Columbia) but I'm not sure that is correct. Did he record it twice with the LSO? Possibly not.

There is also this collection ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aaron-Copla...and+Collection which suggests that he also recorded it with the Philharmonia - but is that just yet another mistake by recording companies?

There was also a Philips issue which I think was just the Everest recording under a different label, as the front cover mentions recorded on 35 mm, which was the kind of technology Everest were using for a while.
    Last edited by Dave2002; 06-07-16, 12:42.
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    There is also this collection ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aaron-Copla...and+Collection which suggests that he also recorded it with the Philharmonia - but is that just yet another mistake by recording companies?
    What makes you think the Philharmonia is involved, Dave?
    The New Philharmonia is credited for El Salon Mexico, but the LSO for other items, as far as I can see.

Assuming that 'it' refers to Billy the Kid suite, the CBS Masterworks CD (MK 42431) recording is with the LSO, with recording venue and date given as Walthamstow, London, 1969.
    The same performance appears in the Sony 3CD set The Copland Collection (Orchestral and ballet works 1936—1948; SM3K 46559), with more precise recording dates: November 28 and 29, 1969.
    And it appears again, digitally remastered, in the 2CD set A Copland Celebration Volume 1 (Famous orchestral and chamber works; SM2K 89323), though with an additional recording date of 2 December 1969!
    Given that I have all three, and also the 2CD set of piano works, I do not have the recent 5CD set that you have provided the link to, but it must surely be the same performance.
    Whether or not this is the same as the Everest one, I do not know.
    Are there any dates given on it?
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 06-07-16, 15:35. Reason: Spelling/typo corrected.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
      • Dec 2010

I also am confused by that 'it'.
      Symphony 3 was recorded for Everest with the LSO, and it appeared on a WRC label. He later recorded it with the Philharmonia for CBS, which performance is in that set.
      I have the LPs of both. Neither convince me that the symphony is worth listening to more than twice.

Discogs suggests a recording of Billy The Kid for Everest, plus a later CBS recording, also LSO. I have the same opinion of Billy as I do of the symphony.
      Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 06-07-16, 15:38. Reason: correction.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Ah! Probably my misunderstanding hasn't helped.
        It's the symphony recording that's attributed to the Philharmonia in the 5CD set that must be being questioned.
        The only Copland-conducted version I have is in The Copland Collection, Orchestral and ballet works 1936—1948 (the same 3CD set as mentioned previously).
        Though the back of the CD case and the back of the insert credit the New Philharmonia, the liner notes themselves say Philharmonia Orchestra, and give the recording venue and dates as EMI Studios, London, October 22 & 24, 1976.

Sad to learn that it doesn't appeal to you, Alain.
        Last edited by Pulcinella; 06-07-16, 15:56. Reason: Another typo correction!

Comment

• umslopogaas
          • Nov 2010

On LP, discs of Copland conducting his own work include:

Symphony 3 with the LSO on Everest SDBR 3018
          Appalachian Spring and The Tender Land, on RCA SB 2104
          Preamble, Symphonic Ode, Orchestral Variations on CBS 73116
          Clarinet Concerto with Columbia Symphony Strings and Old American Songs with Columbia SO on CBS 72218

Those are all in my collection, but I dont know what else he might have conducted: there is probably more, given that he seems keen on conducting his own work.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Copland did indeed conduct his Billy the Kid twice - the Everest in 1959, and the CBS in 1970 both with the LSO. He also recorded the Third Symphony twice - with the LSO (Everest) in 1959, and the New Philharmonia in 1977.

(He went into the studio to record Appalachian Spring three times, twice in the abridged version for full ochestra, and once the full ballet in the original chamber version. IIRC, there's also a Live recording as well.)
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

It looks like we have a bit of the same confusion over the name of the orchestra at the time (New or not?) as evinced on the BBC Northern Orchestra thread!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                It looks like we have a bit of the same confusion over the name of the orchestra at the time (New or not?) as evinced on the BBC Northern Orchestra thread!
                Philharmonia, 1945 - 64
                New Philharmonia, 1964 - 77
                Philharmonia 1977 +

As the Copland recording was made in 1976, it was strictly made with the New Philharmonia; the release date of 1977 might have coincided with the jettisoning of the "New".
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  As the Copland recording was made in 1976, it was strictly made with the New Philharmonia; the release date of 1977 might have coincided with the jettisoning of the "New".
                  My thoughts exactly!

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                    • Dec 2010

LP cover has "Philharmonia Orchestra", but presumably it matters little unless the orchestra's personnel changed at the same time as the names. I still cannot be persuaded to play it again - sorry, Pulcinella.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                      LP cover has "Philharmonia Orchestra", but presumably it matters little unless the orchestra's personnel changed at the same time as the names. I still cannot be persuaded to play it again - sorry, Pulcinella.
                      Don't worry: different strokes for different folks! Life would be very dull if we all liked only the same things.

I saw Copland conduct his clarinet concerto at Tanglewood many years ago; it is a very special piece for me and my partner, but much (most) of the rest of his music appeals too.

Comment

Working...
                      X