Open reel tape. Does anyone here still use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Open reel tape. Does anyone here still use it?

Back in the day when cd first appeared I was one of its earliest devotees, mainly thanks to a tax rebate from HMRC! The argument for cd vs. vinyl has been well documented both here and in the press with both having their supporters and detractors but no one ever seems to pay much attention to the open reel tape.

My first encounter with this carrier was as a small child since my father had a Grundig machine which he took round the world with him as an officer in the navy. As I got older, I realised how much he must have liked music since this machine and it's tapes were very heavy! As I got older, so he would let me play with it and I was fascinated by the mechanics although I never did master the record button since I knew if I accidentally rubbed anything out it would merit a clout round the ear!

As I got older, I longed for one of my own but open reel had pretty much been superseded by the cassette tape. (I remember my father bringing the first SONY one home from Japan). Often, I would find one in a school cupboard only to be told it didn't work anymore and should probably go in the bin.

However, about 3 years ago Mrs. PG and I were in Peebles in the Scottish Borders and having parked the car noticed a SONY machine in a charity shop complete with a box of tapes. Price, £10. It was in the boot of the car faster than the human eye could see! The woman in the shop said it had been put in the window 10 minutes before so it was obviously meant to be.

It was in beautiful condition and, judging by the material on the tapes, had been used in conjunction with a slide projector. A year later, I took it to a little shop in Blackpool where a semi-retired guy serviced it and replaced the belts. It now sits on top of my hi-fi stack in pride of place and, although I don't use it often, it always sounds superb as well as pleasing the little boy in me that loves watching the reels go round.

We're off to the Queen's Hall just now to hear the Mozart and Brahms Clarinet Quintets so, upon my return, I'm going to transfer the iplayer relay onto mini-disc and open reel to see which one sounds best!

Open reel tapes are available on eBay and other sources although the rarer titles do go for high prices. The one title I play often is the Igor Oistrakh Tchaikovsky violin concerto which has never come out on cd despite anguished letters to the Gramophone.

Must go!
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

I did make recordings with some others many years ago, but I think that was using a machine running at 15 ips - might just have been 7.5. An early experience was with a borrowed 3.75ips machine, but as far as I could tell, these were very inferior to the machines which ran at higher speeds. I think quite a number of LP recordings might have been reorded originally on machines running at 15 ips.

I never actually owned an open reel machine, and I'm probably not about to start now. Some of the 15ips machines were brutally solid and heavy. The size of these things probably also means that thay need to be relegated to man sheds!

PS: Have you archived your Tchaikovsky recording to a digital format, just in case ....?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Well, I absolutely love open reel tape, though my Tandberg now spends most of its time in the loft. It's interesting to compare FM broadcast quality from the 1970s & 80s with BBC FM of today.

Cassettes more or less passed me by, though I did use them for teaching purposes in school.

My one regret was that I never had a 15 ips machine. I did have fun in the early days, cramming all the available recorded works by Elgar on to a triple play 7.5" reel, at 1 7/8 ips, in mono.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Well, I absolutely love open reel tape, though my Tandberg now spends most of its time in the loft. It's interesting to compare FM broadcast quality from the 1970s & 80s with BBC FM of today.

Cassettes more or less passed me by, though I did use them for teaching purposes in school.

My one regret was that I never had a 15 ips machine. I did have fun in the early days, cramming all the available recorded works by Elgar on to a triple play 7.5" reel, at 1 7/8 ips, in mono.
        Do you know of a decent source of Tandberg parts? Mine needs a new pinch wheel, clutch plates and belts.

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

The Revox is in storage but I came across some Ampex reels yesterday that contain some recordings off air from the sixties eg Havergal Brian 'Gothic' from the Proms. Probably easier to get the tapes transferred to computer sound files and/or CDs. The one performance I really miss is an open reel recording of Brnstein/LSO at the Edinburgh Festival in Sibelius 5, still my all time favourite as I've never heard any other performance that equals the exquisite tension from the strings at the start of the Coda to the superb balance at the conclusion with that extraordinary and overwhelming brass writing - easy to get it wrong as many performances show.

Comment

• mikealdren
            • Nov 2010

Hi PG, which version of the Oistrakh Tchaikovsky is it that you are looking for?

Comment

• Lordgeous
              • Dec 2012

Having owned a recording studio for many years a number of reel to reel machines have passed through my hands: Ampex, Studer, Otari, Fostex... and domestically many more: Tandberg, Revox, Telefunken, Ferrograph.... (as a kid, Elizabethan, Grundig...) too many to remember! I still own a Studer B62 which is being refurbished prior to sale, and a 3 speed Revox A700 which I keep for transferring tape recordings for myself and others. My main mastering machine for a number of years was a Mitsubishi (A80?) Digital reel to reel which enabled splice editing, as with analogue tape. Wonderful machines (I had two) still in use in some studios in the USA I believe). For me there is still a magic about tape, as with vinyl, and of course analogue has had a huge resurgence professionally in multitrack recording and stereo mastering. I don't miss the maintenance of theses wonderful machines but I do go all gooey eyed remembering the sound (say of a half-inch valve Studer or half-inch Ampex). Even cassettes could sound good. I remember, when mixing Peter Gabriel's 4th solo album (Security), we mixed onto half-inch Ampex tape, the latest all-the-rage Sony digital machine, quarter inch tape, and just for a laugh, a Technics cassette deck (using metal tape). In blind listening tests many chose the cassette over the others!!!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

I used to own the reel-to-reel version of the Mahler #8/Bernstein - magnificent sound from the school Grundig (?IIRC?) player: used to soundflood the Music room

(Incidentally, pg - the Peebles Charity shop: the one across the road from the splendid little whisky emporium, by any chance?)
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                  Hi PG, which version of the Oistrakh Tchaikovsky is it that you are looking for?
                  Hi Mike.

It's the recording he made with his father conducting circa 1969. It's on the HMV Melodyia label. The disc itself was very solid and survived 100's of playings but, even it gave up the ghost. My father bought the Lp in Canada on one of his trips there.

The Orchestra is the Moscow Radio Symphony. Igor Oistrakh did record it a few times but that Oistrakh/Oistrakh version is my favourite.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

(Incidentally, pg - the Peebles Charity shop: the one across the road from the splendid little whisky emporium, by any chance?)
                    I think it's 'Sense Scotland'. The one next to the County Inn. I nearly bought a 16mm projector there but the motor was missing!)

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                      Hi Mike.

It's the recording he made with his father conducting circa 1969. It's on the HMV Melodyia label. The disc itself was very solid and survived 100's of playings but, even it gave up the ghost. My father bought the Lp in Canada on one of his trips there.

The Orchestra is the Moscow Radio Symphony. Igor Oistrakh did record it a few times but that Oistrakh/Oistrakh version is my favourite.
                      I guess this one - but perhaps wait until one crops up from a UK or European vendor - http://www.ebay.com/itm/classical-LP...-/301654815789
                      Last edited by Dave2002; 16-08-16, 17:47.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Do you know of a decent source of Tandberg parts? Mine needs a new pinch wheel, clutch plates and belts.
                        I don't, I'm afraid.

Which model you you have?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

I have a boxful of 7" reel-to-reels consisting mostly of 2-track recordings made at 3 and 3/4 speed of Radio 3 broadcasts of music by 20th century composers in the late 1960s. Mono, obviously. The last time I heard them they were mostly still in pretty good nick, and, as I havent the heart to throw them out, in need of a decent player and a loving home.

Unfortunately I no longer have the means of transport to take them anywhere, or the physical strength to transport them via Tube, etc., but if anyone who might like to have them is in this district (see top rh corner) they're welcomed to them, and there's a cuppa tea waiting.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            The main problem with r to r - they tend to be high maintenance.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              I gues this one - but perhaps wait until one crops up from a UK or European vendor - http://www.ebay.com/itm/classical-LP...-/301654815789
                              That's the one, Mike. I do have it on reel to reel now and it sounds pretty fantastic however I do wish it would appear on cd. I got very excited a couple of years ago when Melodyia started releasing Igor Oistrakh stuff but alas that Tchaikovsky wasn't amongst it.

Maybe one day...

Comment

Working...
                              X