• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Britten: A Midsummer Night's Dream: Testament label

Plans for my afternoon schedule instantly scuppered by the arrival of a remastered copy of the original production of MND at the Jubilee Hall, Aldeburgh, 11 June 1960,; a two CD set on the Testament label. Original sound recording by the BBC with the digital remastering undertaken by Paul Baly at Re-Sound in 2016. A splendid job with several delightful changes of cast. Peter Pears was originally cast as Lysander but was too busy for rehearsals in the 1960 premiere and undertook the role of Flute/Thisby but recorded Lysander for Decca six years later. George Malcolm conducted the early performances wrote that during Thisby's lament he could 'hardly keep my place in the score for laughing'. Alfred Deller felt insecure as Oberon but was reassured by the composer that he performed what he intended. Also warmed to hear this performance, conducted by Benjamin Britten at the Jubilee Hall in the intimacy of a 300 hundred seater and fell in love with Jennifer Vyvyan/Tytania and to hear Leonid Massine's mellifluous Puck. Production directed by John Cranko. An enticing sleeve cover with BB at the fore and Jennifer Vyvyan addressing her fairies indicates the treat in store. I gather that this recording will be reviewed on Record Review, tomorrow, 17 Sept. My dream would have been fulfilled if the Jubilee Hall production had also been filmed at the time.
  • Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

i must get this from Testament. It doesn't seem to be widely available. A film would have been wonderful! It's not mentioned in the Radio Times summary of Record Review, but Music Matters has reviews of two newish books, one about Britten and Russia - which costs £55, so I haven't read it - and the complete Britten/Pears letters.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
      i must get this from Testament. It doesn't seem to be widely available. A film would have been wonderful! It's not mentioned in the Radio Times summary of Record Review, but Music Matters has reviews of two newish books, one about Britten and Russia - which costs £55, so I haven't read it - and the complete Britten/Pears letters.
      Greetings, Mary. I ordered a set from the river people, £22ish, on Wednesday evening and it was delivered this morning, a liaison between Classic Recordings and Amazon. Only half-heard Andrew McGregor talking about tomorrow's Record Review but paid attention when the MND recording was mentioned.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post

Try requesting your local library buy it in, Mary. I often email my library asking if they can acquire esoteric stuff like this and it's amazing how often they will buy it in.

Comment

• mikealdren
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          Try requesting your local library buy it in, Mary. I often email my library asking if they can acquire esoteric stuff like this and it's amazing how often they will buy it in.
          Lucky you, Croydon is stopping its CD service altogether, they have also stopped most magazines (inc Gramophone) and have far fewer books than they used to. They only seem to provide PCs with Internet access nowadays!

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
            Greetings, Mary. I ordered a set from the river people, £22ish, on Wednesday evening and it was delivered this morning, a liaison between Classic Recordings and Amazon. Only half-heard Andrew McGregor talking about tomorrow's Record Review but paid attention when the MND recording was mentioned.
            Many thanks, Stanley. This looks like a set worth buying. I see that Presto have it for £21.75. (I never use the other shop you mentioned.)

Comment

• underthecountertenor
              • Apr 2011

The substantial excerpt played at the end of RR today was very enticing.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Does anyone have either of the other CD versions and would care to comment on them: Hickox (originally Virgin) and Jurowski (live recording of the 2006 Glyndebourne production)?

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=VodkaDilc;579642]Many thanks, Stanley. This looks like a set worth buying. I see that Presto have it for £21.75. (I never use the other shop you mentioned.)[/QUOTE

] Thanks, VD - point taken! Glad to hear this delightful set discussed and selected as 'disc of the week' on Record Review. One caveat. Interesting liner notes but no libretto although admirers of the play will already know chunks of it it by heart. Often, during domestic chores, I break into recitations, "I know a bank whereon the wild thyme blows..."as I practice rib-reserve during hoovering!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                    • Apr 2011

I have the Hickox, which I bought for Bowman and for sound quality. Bowman is charismatic, of course, but not ethereal like Deller. A fine Tytania and Bottom from Lillian Watson and Donald Maxwell. But the lovers are no match for the Britten recording.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
                      Glad to hear this delightful set discussed and selected as 'disc of the week' on Record Review. One caveat. Interesting liner notes but no libretto although admirers of the play will already know chunks of it it by heart. Often, during domestic chores, I break into recitations, "I know a bank whereon the wild thyme blows..."as I practice rib-reserve during hoovering!
                      Now that I have listened to the extract from Saturday's programme, I definitely want the CD. I love the 1950s feel about the production (I know it's from 1960, but it seems from an earlier time). The sound and diction of the fairies was wonderful - people just don't sound like that today. I really did not want the extract to end.

A shame about the cost-cutting lack of libretto; I followed the booklet from the well-known Britten recording. It confirmed my view that this is one of Britten's most distinctive operas - even if I really don't feel his music for the four lovers is on the same level as the rest of the score.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                        • Jul 2011

My copy arrived today - looking forward to hearing it!

Comment

Working...
                        X