X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Argerich early recordings on DG

I have finally got round to listening to this 2 CD set . It includes not only performances of works for which she is renowned namely Sonatine and Gaspard de la Nuit and Prokofiev's Seventh Sonata but also K 576 and Beethoven Op 10 no 3 and the Third Prokofiev Sonata .

The K 576 recorded when she was 19 in 1960 is absolutely outstanding no prettified Mozart here extraordinary fresh playing with tempi to cheer a HIPPite . I think together with Lipatti's Mozart sonata recording it is the best solo Mozart I have ever heard .

The Op 10 no 3 is of a similar exalted class the pianissimo playing in the Largo in particular takes one's breath away and the Prokofiev playing makes your hair stand on end !

Wonderful if you do not have it put it on your Christmas stocking list .
    Last edited by Barbirollians; 30-11-16, 10:59.
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I have finally got round to listening to this 2 CD set . It includes not only performances of works for which she is renowned namely Sonatine and Gaspard de la Nuit and Prokofiev's Seventh Sonata but also K 576 and Beethoven Op 10 no 3 and the Third Prokofiev Sonata .

The K 576 recorded when she was 19 in 1960 is absolutely outstanding no prettified Mozart here extraordinary fresh playing with tempi to cheer a HIPPite . I think together with Lipatti's Mozart sonata recording it is the best solo Mozart I have ever heard .

The Op 10 no 3 is of a similar exalted class the pianissimo playing in the Largo in particular takes one's breath away and the Prokofiev playing makes your hair stand on end !

Wonderful if you do not have it put it on your Chrustmas stocking list .
    I have a discof her playing Chopin that wasn't previously released and then appeared on MHS over here some years ago.
    On the cover is a shot from the sessions and her teenage self looks adorable in a polka dot dress

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

One of my favourite artists. I think I may have these already!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
        I consider her as the finest pianist playing today! To see her live is quite an event.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Another favourite of mine is Murray Perahia. I see he has moved over to DG now, after 40 years with Sony. Now what I think is rather silly, is when you have an artist like this, changing companies, etc, and Sony like others, release a complete set of his Sony output!! Now like a lot of people who have bought his recordings over the years, so would you buy this set or not, as the case maybe?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Came out in the summer of this year BBM .

Perahia is indeed also a great if very different pianist . His Mozart piano concerto LPs were the first series of anything I collected .

Comment

Working...
            X