Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical album of the year 2016

Please name just one new or re-release as your No.1, then as many other highlights as you like; and optionally your recorded music discovery of 2016 - the music or label or recordings that meant the most to you…

My album of the year really did pick itself -

Mendelssohn Symphonies 1 and 4.
    LSO/John Eliot Gardiner. LSO Live.
    (24/192 download, Qobuz).

I’d kept away from LSO Barbican recordings for some time, disenchanted with the rather dark confined soundstage and colourless timbres. But trialling Qobuz HiFi’s lossless streaming (via Audirvana+) it was worth a revisit and as a 16/44.1 FLAC stream, I found this Mendelssohn pairing fresh, vital, precise and expressive. I felt compelled to buy the hi-res version and - well! The tangibility, warmth, presence and individuality of the orchestral character and the solos were exceptional, as fine an orchestral sound (and a Mendelssohn interpretation) as I’ve heard in many years. The Barbican acoustic was much more present than before, in fact an enjoyably atmospheric “backing” to the music itself.

I just spun the files through JRiver’s shuffle play again and up came the con fuoco from No.1 - I stayed to the end, entranced yet again.
    Musically and sonically compelling in all respects! A great achievement.

Other highlights for me (all purchased as downloads from Qobuz, eclassical or Da Capo) were: ​Beethoven Symphonies 4&5, Missa Solemnis, CMW/Harnoncourt (Sony 24/96, his last recordings); Ravel Orchestral Works from the Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra/Lionel Bringuier (as good as any earlier legends, DG 24/96); Per Norgard Symphonies 4&5, 2&6 from Oslo PO/John Storgards (ahead of the Chandos/Segerstam/Dausgaard cycle on points, but lovely to have both; 24/88.2 Da Capo).
    Sibelius Symphonies 3,6,7 from the Minnesota Orchestra/Osmo Vanska (24/96 Bis), Colin Matthews Orchestral Works (including the spectacular Cortège, various, 24/44.1 NMC); more Haydn Symphonies, 4, 42, 64, from Il Giardino Armonico and Giovanni Antonini (24/96, Alpha) and Mozart Piano Concertos 11-13 from the Freiburg Barockester and Kristian Bezuidenhout (24/96 HM).
    Last, latest treats were MTT's Debussy anthology , Images, Jeux etc., with the SFSO (24/192. SFSO) and the Ligeti Concertos set from ​Baldur Brönniman and the Bit20 Ensemble, stunningly recorded in 24/96 by Bis, a wonderfully fresh musical presentation.

2016 was the year Martinu became one of the deepest objects of my affection. I went beyond the familiar names to hear symphony cycles from Vladimir Valek and Arthur Fagen, and came to love them even more; but entirely new to me were the Piano Concertos (Koukl, Kolinsky, Firkusny, Leichner) and the String Quartets (Panocha, Kocian/Zemlinsky). So Martinu joins those other mid-20th Century symphonists - Roussel, Honegger, Dutilleux, Gerhard, Enescu, Skalkottas…) in whose worlds I spend so much of my musical time.
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 03-12-16, 05:23.

No.1 Bruckner: Symphony No.3. Deutsche Symphonie Orchester, Berlin, Riccardo Chailly.

Bax: 4 Orchestra Pieces; Phantasy in D minor for Viola & Orchestra8; Overture, Elegy & Rondo. BBC PO, A Davis.

Bliss: Morning Heroes. Andrew Davis and BBC forces.

Steven Osborne and Steven Isserlis: Viola da Gamba Sonatas.

Ed Gardner's recording of Schoenberg's Gurre-Lieder.

British Violin Concertos. Tasmin Little, BBC PO, Andrew Davis.

Scriabin: Symphonies. LSO etc, Gergiev.

Just a small sample of highlights for me.

It seems that the majoirty of my purchases have been from Chandos - again!!
    Last edited by BBMmk2; 02-12-16, 22:21.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Looking at my purchase history so many are reissues . The new release that stood out and in doing so was hardly original was the Britten and Korngold coupling with Vilde Frang.

Comment

Toss up between Dante's Stanford String Quartets 5 & 8 and Manze's RVW 2 & 8,just ahead of Arnold Cooke 4 & 5 on Lyrita

Comment

Morton Feldman: Music for Piano and Strings, Volume 3 (John Tilbury and members of the Smith Quartet as comprised 2006).

Comment

Classical Album Of The Year

I have 3 favorites. One is the Nelsons/Boston 'Under Stalin Shadow' releases ( this year is 5,8,9, but 10 was re released as a High Resolution download). Andrew Litton and the Bergen Orchestra finally made me appreciate Rachmaninov Second Symphony, and Rachel Podger in Biber's Rosary Sonatas.

Comment

I think there is another thread on this topic somewhere. Perhaps a kindly host could perform the necessary manoeuvre?

My nomination would be Barenboim's recording of the Elgar Symphony No 1 with the Staatskapelle Berlin. A great disc.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Yes, I did one here.....

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  I think there is another thread on this topic somewhere. Perhaps a kindly host could perform the necessary manoeuvre?

My nomination would be Barenboim's recording of the Elgar Symphony No 1 with the Staatskapelle Berlin. A great disc.
                  By all means. I was responding to the Jazz thread.
                  The Elgar got some mixed reviews, from near ecstatic to skepticism about a German Orchestra in this repertoire. Did DB previously record the Elgar Symphonies? I think that was my first exposure to The piece, decades ago

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    Done - hope everyone's happy, let me know if not!

I'm torn between Rachel Podger and Brecon Baroque's Art of Fugue, and Angela Hewitt's new Goldberg. And her Scarlatti. Have seen both artistes perform this year.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      Please name just one new or re-release as your No.1, then as many other highlights as you like; and optionally your recorded music discovery of 2016 - the music or label or recordings that meant the most to you…

My album of the year really did pick itself -

Mendelssohn Symphonies 1 and 4.
                      LSO/John Eliot Gardiner. LSO Live.
                      (24/192 download, Qobuz).

I’d kept away from LSO Barbican recordings for some time, disenchanted with the rather dark confined soundstage and colourless timbres. But trialling Qobuz HiFi’s lossless streaming (via Audirvana+) it was worth a revisit and as a 16/44.1 FLAC stream, I found this Mendelssohn pairing fresh, vital, precise and expressive. I felt compelled to buy the hi-res version and - well! The tangibility, warmth, presence and individuality of the orchestral character and the solos were exceptional, as fine an orchestral sound (and a Mendelssohn interpretation) as I’ve heard in many years. The Barbican acoustic was much more present than before, in fact an enjoyably atmospheric “backing” to the music itself.

I just spun the files through JRiver’s shuffle play again and up came the con fuoco from No.1 - I stayed to the end, entranced yet again.
                      Musically and sonically compelling in all respects! A great achievement.

Other highlights for me (all purchased as downloads from Qobuz, eclassical or Da Capo) were: ​Beethoven Symphonies 4&5, Missa Solemnis, CMW/Harnoncourt (Sony 24/96, his last recordings); Ravel Orchestral Works from the Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra/Lionel Bringuier (as good as any earlier legends, DG 24/96); Per Norgard Symphonies 4&5, 2&6 from Oslo PO/John Storgards (ahead of the Chandos/Segerstam/Dausgaard cycle on points, but lovely to have both; 24/88.2 Da Capo).
                      Sibelius Symphonies 3,6,7 from the Minnesota Orchestra/Osmo Vanska (24/96 Bis), Colin Matthews Orchestral Works (including the spectacular Cortège, various, 24/44.1 NMC); more Haydn Symphonies, 4, 42, 64, from Il Giardino Armonico and Giovanni Antonini (24/96, Alpha) and Mozart Piano Concertos 11-13 from the Freiburg Barockester and Kristian Bezuidenhout (24/96 HM).
                      Last, latest treats were MTT's Debussy anthology , Images, Jeux etc., with the SFSO (24/192. SFSO) and the Ligeti Concertos set from ​Baldur Brönniman and the Bit20 Ensemble, stunningly recorded in 24/96 by Bis, a wonderfully fresh musical presentation.

2016 was the year Martinu became one of the deepest objects of my affection. I went beyond the familiar names to hear symphony cycles from Vladimir Valek and Arthur Fagen, and came to love them even more; but entirely new to me were the Piano Concertos (Koukl, Kolinsky, Firkusny, Leichner) and the String Quartets (Panocha, Kocian/Zemlinsky). So Martinu joins those other mid-20th Century symphonists - Roussel, Honegger, Dutilleux, Gerhard, Enescu, Skalkottas…) in whose worlds I spend so much of my musical time.
                      I listened to Gardiner on ClassicsOnline Online, right before they dumped the non Naxos labels and I was impressed. Of your other selections the only one that I know is the Vanska Minnesota disc, which I downloaded and purchased in SACD to make comparisons (on my player, the Oppo 105, the download wins easily, either via the DAC in the player or my external DAC). As a performance I prefer the Vanska / Lahti, but it's good to see Vanska and the MO recording again

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        Done - hope everyone's happy, let me know if not!

I'm torn between Rachel Podger and Brecon Baroque's Art of Fugue, and Angela Hewitt's new Goldberg. And her Scarlatti. Have seen both artistes perform this year.
                        I am properly envious.

Comment

I tend not to buy CDs in the same year that they come out - the prices drop ridiculously when they've been available for some time - unless it's something absolutely unmissable. So, for me:

Barrett: life-form, nacht und traume, Blattwerke; Arne Deforce/the Composer/Yutaka Oya

... still explodes from the speakers these many months after getting; a reminder if how good Blattwerke is (fourteen years after I'd last heard it); confirming how good nacht und traume is after a less-than-representative performance ten years ago; and just marvellous to hear life-form.

Bliss it is to be alive when such Music-making is occurring - to be middle-aged is a bit annoying ....
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                            So have I!
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              Looking at my purchase history so many are reissues .
                              Likewise on reissues. I seem to have bought only one classical CD actually issued in 2016. A very good Schubert song recital from Roderick Williams, "Der Wanderer" on Delphian.

(PS. Latest CD purchase just arrived was Stones' "Blue & Lonesome" which nicely bookends my only previous Stones album purchase - their first album and my first ever LP, aged 15 in 1964. Still exists in the garage - sleeve threadbare, dog-eared, disc warped, scratched and nearly unplayable, but something of a memento.)

Comment

Working...
                              X