Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haitink - New Live Mahler 3 from BR Klassik

I was surprised that I could not find a thread on this in the light of the Prom last summer and that it was Disc of the Week on Record REview the other week .

My copy has just arrived - anyone heard it yet ? I liked the extract I heard at the end of RR .

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I was surprised that I could not find a thread on this in the light of the Prom last summer and that it was Disc of the Week on Record REview the other week .

My copy has just arrived - anyone heard it yet ? I liked the extract I heard at the end of RR .
    Hiya Barbirollians,

What a magnificent work! I'm highly delighted with the performance under Haitink from live concerts at the Philharmonie.

Comment

I've not played my recently arrived copy. From what I heard on Record Review the approach is very similar to the LSO Prom which took place only a few weeks later.

Comment

I ordered it, on Stan's suggestion, from Presto, but it will probably be a couple of weeks before I receive it

Comment

Anyone fancying an immediate Haitink fix might like to try this performance of Daphnis and Chloe.

Fascinating mix of the wise old man and the students youthful enthusiasm

Comment

My copy finally arrived last Friday and I played it the following evening. It is indeed very much like the Proms performance given a few weeks later with the LSO. I have every recording Haitink has made of this titanic symphony including his 1983 Christmas Day concert with the Concertgebouw but also, in addition, a 1970 performance with the Netherlands Radio PO gleaned off the Dutch Radio 4 website. He has been conducting Mahler 3 for nearly 60 years, an early one can be noted in the Concertgebouw concert archive from March 1958.

This latest recording from Munich is in utterly superb sound of quite exceptional clarity and power, comments which apply to the music-making too. Not surprisingly, Haitink understands this piece like no-one else and once again there is the tremendous build up to that great overwhelming climax in the last movement towards which everything else has led. One must expect that this will be Haitink's last word on this symphony.

Many thanks to BR Klassik and Bavarian Radio for making this available.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
            X