Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't overlook Grigory Sokolov playing Prokofiev nos 7 and 8 on Melodia (Мелодия). Among my favourites.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
      I think it was 6. I've got it (paired with Gaspard de la Nuit) and yes, it's pretty marvellous.
      I have that too

I have Barry Douglas playing 2 and 7, with fond memories of hearing him play 7 in Belfast in the mid 1980s - a blistering performance, taking perhaps a few more chances than on the recorded version.

Comment

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
        I recently acquired the Raekallio set of sonatas and other pieces. So far, the only sonata I have sampled is No.7. It's brilliantly played, though he does take the finale at a helluva lick, perhaps simply because he can? Pollini's less manic account of this movement has more impact, on me at any rate.
        When looking for a set a couple of years ago, I decided Raekallio was the one to get and have not been disappointed.

Comment

John Lill recorded the complete set for ASV, which are still available via Amazon UK. I have Nos. 1-3 and they are very good indeed, comparing well with the complete sets by Glemser, Bronfman, McLachlan, Ovchinikov, and Richter's performances of Nos. 4, 6-9, which I have.

Comment

Bronfman is my overall favourite, but Boris Berman is also pretty good. I also like Anne-Marie McDermott, who uses a greater variety of touch and plays a bit slower than most pianists, but is still quite effective. Frederic Chiu and Matti Raekallio both play very harshly to my ears, which does suit Prokofiev but I think is overdone in their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by kea View Post
              Bronfman is my overall favourite, but Boris Berman is also pretty good. I also like Anne-Marie McDermott, who uses a greater variety of touch and plays a bit slower than most pianists, but is still quite effective. Frederic Chiu and Matti Raekallio both play very harshly to my ears, which does suit Prokofiev but I think is overdone in their hands.
              I'm reacting against harsh and rebarbative playing at the moment, so I'm encouraged by what you say about Bronfman's set, which I should be hearing later this week.

Comment

Working...
              X