Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Met Inaugural Season from 1966

A tempting selection on this morning's Record Review for the 22CD boxset marking the 50th anniversary of the NY Metropolitan at the Lincoln Centre, despite the reviewer, Flora Willson's excessive use the the 'fantastic' cliche throughout!

The sound quality is variable but quickly discounted by the aural riches; Scotto, Gobbi. Caballe - was it her who floated the exquisite note at the closing of Desdemona's Willow Song? even the instant applauders were 'shushed' by the audience -Berganza, Nilsson, Vickers, Sutherland, Freni,
    Rysanek and Ludwig in Die Frau ohne Schatten with Bohm, 'a must' and I'm also eager to hear Evelyn Lear and Marie Collier of blessed memory in Mourning Becomes Electra - quite new to me as an opera.

A bargain price of £100 was quoted but, checking with the river people, £87 76 is the current quote but this can rise without notice as we know. I have a cunning plan...

I heard this as well and although I'm not really an opera fan , (despite having played in an opera orchestra), I enjoyed the selections played. 'Turandot' was marvellous and reminds me I must dig out the Mehta recording again soon.

Comment

Working...
    X