Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes - a few appearances of the Walton rather than the Elgar in concert would be a step forward. Perhaps Radio3 could have Walton as composer of the week soon .

Comment

He was CotW as recently as February 2010, so I guess we'll have to wait a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        Listening to the Tortelier recording this evening it strikes me that this is a very underrated piece . What do other forumites think ?
        No one seems to disagree, but nonetheless I have to eighteenth that: terrific piece, as are the violin and viola concertos. You remind me to give the Cello concerto a whirl
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Here's Piatigorsky with Munch/Boston SO giving it an early outing - I think it still sounds a wonderful performance:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I believe that the important pieces of Walton (Concerti and Symphonies) are disgracefully neglected and are very fine. On the other hand I feel that much of his "Occasional" music (the marches and overtures) is rambling stuff written to make a penny or two but sadly that is all we ever hear these days. If I ever hear Crown Imperial or Portmouth Point again I shall scream: Elgar and Ireland were the successes in that sort of thing because they undertook it with as much care as they did their best stuff.

Comment

I have been doing my bit this morning - Daniel's Naxos disc of Walton 2 and the Viola Concerto followed by Heifetz in the Violin Concerto . Wonderful performance almost as good as Ida Haendel

Comment

Chris Newman

It was alleged that Gerard Hoffnung could whistle Portsmouth Point from memory, no mean feat rhythmically!

Comment

Ah, Ferretfancy,

But a genius like Hoffnung could probably get through it on solo tuba. I think if Walton had snipped out a third of the thing it could have been as much fun as Bernstein's Candide or Reznicek's Donna Diana.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                    If I ever hear Crown Imperial or Portmouth Point again I shall scream.
                    Oh, but the Crown Imperial... one of two works that makes me want to surrender my American passport immediately and become a subject of E.R. I was watching the Royal Wedding much against my will, being my usual snarky and anti-monarchical self, and sure enough on comes the Crown Imperial and my snark is subdued. Okay, Windsors, point taken. YOU WIN.

To the original subject of this thread.... I'm afraid as much as I love Walton the only time I've heard the cello concerto in concert, I came away struck that Walton had borrowed even more heavily than usual from Prokofiev, most specifically from his Violin Concerto No. 1. But then again, I am "prokkyshosty" and I would think that. Does anyone agree, or am I hearing what I want to hear?

Comment

According to my lists I have Paul Watkins playing the Walton Cello Concerto. Is this one any good, can't find the CD at the moment?

Comment

I'm very happy with Tim Hugh on Naxos.

Comment

Working...
                        X