X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterthekeys
    • Aug 2014

Suk and Bělohlávek

Just been listening to the extract from Bělohlávek's recording of Suk's "Ripening" on today's programme: I thought it was superb, and I'll be buying that disc ASAP.

Whilst grateful to Stephen Johnson for featuring this recording, I found some of his preliminary comments grated. He said that the piece often sounded "over-ripe" and needed a conductor like Bělohlávek to highlight where it was going. Obviously, I thought the performance was excellent - but I've never had the feeling that anything by Suk sounded "over-ripe" or directionless: on the contrary, I find that he's one of the composers (like Martinu and Kodaly) of whom I just know I'm going to like whatever I hear (or at least that there's a very good chance of it.)

I do find it irksome when R3 commentators, when talking about neglected composers, seem to imply that there's a fundamental flaw in the composer's work, which goes at least some way to justify the neglect (maybe a self-defence mechanism?)
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Ah, but this is Stephen Johnson - someone who has always included a decent-sized scattering of asinine comments amongst several intensely perceptive ones. I think he thinks it's something to do with "balance".
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Radio 3's Essential Classics, a couple of days ago had Behlohlavek conducting, was it
      Suk or Novak? I think the latter, in a work called Praga. Very good work I thought. worth investigating.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• peterthekeys
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
        Radio 3's Essential Classics, a couple of days ago had Behlohlavek conducting, was it
        Suk or Novak? I think the latter, in a work called Praga. Very good work I thought. worth investigating.
        Last Wednesday - Suk rather than Novak: I missed that. Don't know Praga - will definitely have a listen.

Novak's a very interesting composer, although I find him a bit uneven. His tone-poem "The Eternal Longing" ("Von ewiger Sehnsucht") is one of my all-time favourite works.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
          Novak's a very interesting composer, although I find him a bit uneven. His tone-poem "The Eternal Longing" ("Von ewiger Sehnsucht") is one of my all-time favourite works.
          Broadcast the previous Friday (14th July) at the start of Afternoon on 3 - the BBCSO conducted by Belohlavek:

BBC SO in Novak and Vaughan Williams. Plus BBC Singers: Eric Whitacre and John Mackey.

... made much more of a positive impression on me than did Praga last Wednesday.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Broadcast the previous Friday (14th July) at the start of Afternoon on 3 - the BBCSO conducted by Belohlavek:

BBC SO in Novak and Vaughan Williams. Plus BBC Singers: Eric Whitacre and John Mackey.

... made much more of a positive impression on me than did Praga last Wednesday.
            Yes great work this. Especially under Jiri Behlohlavek.
            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• edashtav
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              I do admire your patience, BBM. There are lovely episodes in Praga but more byways than those travelled by Catullus en route to his brother's grave.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                I do admire your patience, BBM. There are lovely episodes in Praga but more byways than those travelled by Catullus en route to his brother's grave.
                Tell us more!
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                X