James Levine and the Vienna Phil's Mozart symphony series...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

James Levine and the Vienna Phil's Mozart symphony series...

It was widely reported that the Vienna Phil themselves chose Levine to conduct a series of Mozart symphonies with them to mark the 200th anniversary of his death. I remember buying the 25th symphony (as in impecuneous student) and really enjoyed it. However, others were not so sure.

Does anyone have opinions about this set? I'd enjoy hearing them.

Thanks.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

I have a very strong opinion on this set: it is unavailable and I very much want to buy it. As one might expect, it was derided my many critic because it didn't fit in with current fashion of performing classical works.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

I remember one critic talking about 'the gun metal grey that Levine seems to insist the strings produce'. Yes, (IMHO) it's a very 'direct' sound the strings produce but not unpleasant. It's also worth hearing the same people playing the violin concertos with Itzhak Perlman. Super performances.

Comment

• mathias broucek
        • Nov 2010

I have the Haffner as part of a Levine sampler 4CD box I picked-up v cheaply a few years ago.

Didn't really do it for me. Well played and recorded and musical but for me at least lacks the geniality of Boehm's late recordings with the same orchestra (NOT his heavier BPO set) or the energy of Mackerras with the Prague CO.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          I remember one critic talking about 'the gun metal grey that Levine seems to insist the strings produce'. Yes, (IMHO) it's a very 'direct' sound the strings produce but not unpleasant.
          This seems to suggest that DGG's over-close miking could be prevalent - a characteristic of this company in the early digital era. I've voiced elsewhere my dislike of the sound in Karajan's Alpine Symphony, but there are many others with uncomfortably close string sound. However, I await the opportunity to hear one of these Mozart symphony recordings for myself.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Thanks to the generous assistance of pastoralguy, I've listened to the 40th symphony twice. As expected, there is wonderful stylish playing from the VPO, but Levine's view is not entirely to my liking, but that is probably because no-one can ever live up to Furtwangler in this - one of my 2 or 3 favourite works.
            Incidentally, the Levine recording includes every repeat - a mixed blessing. I do like the use of Mozart's revised version with clarinets.

Comment

Working...
            X