Host
      • Nov 2010

The VPO/Maazel Tchaikovsky symphonies.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        The VPO/Maazel Tchaikovsky symphonies.
        I hunted high and low on the internet thingy for these only to discover I had them already...

Comment

• silvestrione
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Don't worry it's only 9 discs at around £35 or less from Amazon. Can't do link on this phone but should be easy to find.

The Mozart 40 & 41 in this set are a revelation.
          I've gone for a twenty quid second hand copy! Looking forward to those Mozart symphonies....

Comment

• Maclintick
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
            I'm exploring my Karajan '1960's' DG box set and I have to say that I'm really enjoying them. I believe they were re-mastered to expunge some of the Maestro's 'knob twiddling' and I find the balance to be infinitely better.
            I may be wrong but I believe HvKs "knob-twiddling" phase occurred in the mid-to-late seventies when rudimentary multitrack technology appeared on the classical music scene, affording hitherto unavailable opportunities for tweaking orchestral recordings. HvK's legendary 60s Beethoven, Tchaikovsky & Sibelius sets were taped directly to stereo by the non-pareil of DG tonmeisters Günter Hermanns, & the contemporaneous vinyl LPs weren't subjected to later conductorial re-jigging for the simple reason that this wasn't technically possible.

Comment

• Conchis
              Banned
              • Jun 2014

Currently listening to the Decca recording of Adriana Lecouvreur with Tebaldi and Del Monaco, conducted by Capuana. It's amazingly good - and I didn't even think I was that keen on the opera.

Comment

• Conchis
                Banned
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
                I may be wrong but I believe HvKs "knob-twiddling" phase occurred in the mid-to-late seventies when rudimentary multitrack technology appeared on the classical music scene, affording hitherto unavailable opportunities for tweaking orchestral recordings. HvK's legendary 60s Beethoven, Tchaikovsky & Sibelius sets were taped directly to stereo by the non-pareil of DG tonmeisters Günter Hermanns, & the contemporaneous vinyl LPs weren't subjected to later conductorial re-jigging for the simple reason that this wasn't technically possible.
                Michel Glotz gets the blame for the strange balances on Karajan's 70s recordings - though the balances were noticeably more eccentric when von K was recording for EMI. Glotz described himself as 'the extension of his (von K's) will in the control room.' DG and Decca had a policy of barring Karajan from the mixing desk by various means but I think EMI were just desperate to have him.

Comment

• hmvman
                  • Mar 2007

Steinberg's Planets on DG and Loughran's Brahms symphonies on CfP.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                    Michel Glotz gets the blame for the strange balances on Karajan's 70s recordings - though the balances were noticeably more eccentric when von K was recording for EMI. Glotz described himself as 'the extension of his (von K's) will in the control room.' DG and Decca had a policy of barring Karajan from the mixing desk by various means but I think EMI were just desperate to have him.

That's very interesting. I know I much prefer these new issues in the 1960's, 70's & 80's boxes. Much less String heavy.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                      Steinberg's Planets on DG and Loughran's Brahms symphonies on CfP.
                      Those Loughran recordings still stand up well in comparison to some more glamorous names.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Come to think of it - almost every Decca recording from the 1960s.

Comment

Working...
                        X