X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alain Maréchal
    • Dec 2010

The Digital Gramophone Company

I have discovered on Qobuz several recordings by this company which I would like to purchase. Could any forum member advise me of the quality of their transcriptions? The same recordings are available less costly from BNF, but those are usually copied, not always well, from LPs. Is the additional cost likely to be worthwhile?
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

I’m feeling cheeky today - no comments please.

I liked the razor so much I bought the company. Date: 1979. Advertiser: Remington. Presenter: Victor KiamThe president of Remington shavers in 1978: "When my...

Peter Wheeler: In 1981 Mr Wheeler was a chemical engineer who owned a TVR, an exclusive high-powered British sports car. That year he became the struggling company's saviour when he bought it. His instincts have been successful and the company is in profit. Sales this year will be 2,000, compared with 170 the year he took over.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
      • Dec 2010

I regret to say, Dave, that the meaning of your post is lost on me. Would you care to clarify?

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Sorry Alain - I’m not trying to be rude, merely playful. Your first sentence is ambiguous. I think you might want to purchase. recordings, but an alternative interpretation is that you want to purchase the company which makes them, hence the YouTube advert - which we here certainly used to see back in the day, and it is based on historical facts.

I could have more fun with “Is the additional cost likely to be worthwhile?” - depends on how profitable the business turns out to be.

Best wishes, Dave

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
          • Dec 2010

Ah, the celebrated Anglo-Saxon humour (possibly). What is the connection to the links?

Please tell me how it should be configured. I would like to know how to avoid the ambiguity: would a comma after "company" help? Perhaps a denizen of Pedant's Corner could advise. Jean is helpful and reliable.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

The links are to an advert for Remington shavers - you ought to watch - and to a bit more background to Mr Kiam’s activities.

Also see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Kiam

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
              • Dec 2010

I now know a little about an electric razor company (I have never used one - neither an electric razor, nor an electric razor company) but nothing about The Digital Recording Company's products.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                I have discovered on Qobuz several recordings by this company which I would like to purchase. Could any forum member advise me of the quality of their transcriptions? The same recordings are available less costly from BNF, but those are usually copied, not always well, from LPs. Is the additional cost likely to be worthwhile?
                What sort of subscription do you have with QOBUZ? If the HiFi option or above you can surely sample the recordings via streaming? Even the 320kbps mp3 stream should give you some idea of the relative quality of the transfers.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                  • Dec 2010

I do not have a subscription. I buy flac downloads of recordings that interest me (in this particular case, Edouard Commette playing Bach) and play them on my music server. I could only hear the samples on my pc's speakers, which is so unsatisfactory a method that it is pointless to do it.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                    I do not have a subscription. I buy flac downloads of recordings that interest me (in this particular case, Edouard Commette playing Bach) and play them on my music server. I could only hear the samples on my pc's speakers, which is so unsatisfactory a method that it is pointless to do it.
                    Look out for a PM from me in about 30 minutes.

However.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                      • Dec 2010

I am grateful to Bryn who has made a sample available. If anybody is interested, the results were excellent. Whatever the status of the company, Qobuz lists 95 recordings in many musical genres.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

How did you do the search on Qobuz? I can see some "tracks" - but nowhere like 95 different complete "albums". Merry Widow - Sadlers Wells, Little Red Riding Hood, Treasure Island, Elgar Starlight Express, plus a few more.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                          • Dec 2010

If you search for "Commette" you will see a list of Albums.
                          Select one from Digital Gramophone e.g. Bach Organ Recital vol. 4
                          At the base of the page you will see "Label: Digital Gramophone" highlighted.
                          Click on this and all their offerings will appear.

I have just checked the UK as well as the France site: it works in both.

Can you resist "Carmen Miranda and Friends?"

Comment

Working...
                          X