• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Complete Debussy CD sets

Already available is the Sony survey. Coming so, very soon, is the DG collection. Best price I can find for the latter at the moment is at amazon.de. Anyone know better?
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Already available is the Sony survey. Coming so, very soon, is the DG collection. Best price I can find for the latter at the moment is at amazon.de. Anyone know better?
    Are these actually COMPLETE, unlike the boxes that were released a few years back?

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

The DG box claims to have the complete published works. As to posthumously published works, who knows? I have not found a full listing as yet.

In what suggests it is a fill listing, here, there is no mention of ether version of Chansons de Bilitis, neither the 3 Songs nor the piece for reciter and small ensemble.
      Last edited by Bryn; 10-02-18, 13:06.

Comment

• Parry1912
        • Nov 2010

I note that the Warner set runs to 33 discs as opposed to the 24 discs of the DG/Decca set . I guess it depends how you define complete.
        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

I think the Warner has a good few alternative recordings of some works. I also note that while DG have available a recording of the recited Chasons de Bilitis with Catherine Deneuve and Ensemble Wien-Berlin. Neither seems to be mentioned among the performers represented.

Comment

• Conchis
            Banned
            • Jun 2014

It looks like the Warners (EMI!) set is the real deal, with everything included, as well as multiple versions of some works.

The presentation of the DG box is much better, though, and includes Abbaddo's Pelleas against the Armin Jordan set for Warners (good, but not as good as Abbado).

The omission of Chansons de Bilitis from the DG set is serious, though, as that work needs to be better-known.

Comment

• AmpH
              • Feb 2012

Info / Performers listing here :-

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                Thanks. I think I will cancel my order for the DG set which seems pretty clearly to be limited to the works published during the composer's lifetime.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

I bought the Warners box from FNAC when it was released on 4 January. Without checking against a catalogue of every known piece by Debussy, I'd say that it was pretty much complete, including, as it does, early works and the complete spoken and sung, "Le Martyre de saint-Sébastien". It says in the notes that,

"This complete edition brings together all Debussy's known works. The one work that is not currently available is the orchestral version of an Intermezzo composed in June 1882. However, it is possible to form an idea of how this might have sounded thanks to Debussy's own transcription of the piece for piano duet."

They've "borrowed" recordings from other record companies where they didn't have a recording in their cupboard, as it were. I've got many of the recordings in the DG box already whereas I have far fewer of those in the Warners box so it was an easy decision to choose it.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                    I bought the Warners box from FNAC when it was released on 4 January. Without checking against a catalogue of every known piece by Debussy, I'd say that it was pretty much complete, including, as it does, early works and the complete spoken and sung, "Le Martyre de saint-Sébastien". It says in the notes that,

"This complete edition brings together all Debussy's known works. The one work that is not currently available is the orchestral version of an Intermezzo composed in June 1882. However, it is possible to form an idea of how this might have sounded thanks to Debussy's own transcription of the piece for piano duet."

They've "borrowed" recordings from other record companies where they didn't have a recording in their cupboard, as it were. I've got many of the recordings in the DG box already whereas I have far fewer of those in the Warners box so it was an easy decision to choose it.
                    The listing I have seen is not entirely clear re. the Chansons de Bilitis for reciter and small ensemble. It it there or not? If so, who is the reciter, please.? Only the accompaniment part appears to be listed.

[No worries. It is included. Found it via the QOBUZ listing.]
                    Last edited by Bryn; 10-02-18, 14:27. Reason: Update.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

I don’t know what the attraction is, or why there should be an obsession with, owning a recording of everything that Debussy ever composed. A lot of his early music is worth hearing once, if at all. This is one area where streaming is useful. If I haven an irresistible urge to hear the Debussy Piano Trio (not likely), Apple Music saves a lot of shelf space

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        The listing I have seen is not entirely clear re. the Chansons de Bilitis for reciter and small ensemble. It it there or not? If so, who is the reciter, please.? Only the accompaniment part appears to be listed.

[No worries. It is included. Found it via the QOBUZ listing.]
                        Yes, it's the Delphine Seyrig/Nash Ensemble recording which appeared on Virgin.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                          I don’t know what the attraction is, or why there should be an obsession with, owning a recording of everything that Debussy ever composed. A lot of his early music is worth hearing once, if at all. This is one area where streaming is useful. If I haven an irresistible urge to hear the Debussy Piano Trio (not likely), Apple Music saves a lot of shelf space
                          I really like Debussy and I can see both sets competing for the lack of space on my shelves!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                            Completism is why!

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              I really like Debussy and I can see both sets competing for the lack of space on my shelves!
                              He is one of my favorite Composers, but not for his juvenilia

Comment

Working...
                              X