• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Universal DECCA Blu-Ray/CD Editions

Universal is releasing some classing Decca (and other acquired labels) opera recordings in new editions, featuring the operas spread across the conventional 2CDs and then on one Blu-Ray.

Has anyone picked any of these up? If so, what are they like?
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

So in order to buy the Blu-ray, you have to buy the CDs you probably already have?

No way, Jose.

If Decca were to sell the Blu-ray discs separately, I would be interested.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      So in order to buy the Blu-ray, you have to buy the CDs you probably already have?

No way, Jose.

Shop classical & jazz new releases on CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, vinyl, and more, featuring today's top labels & artists!

Agreed. It is annoying that in many cases one only has the option of buying both Blu-ray and CD versions in a single package.

Comment

• Conchis
        Banned
        • Jun 2014

No way, Jose.

Apparently, you get 'improved' packaging to sweeten the deal.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          https://www.arkivmusic.com/classical...&page_size=100

Agreed. It is annoying that in many cases one only has the option of buying both Blu-ray and CD versions in a single package.
          As I've not yet moved on from cds and dvds yet a question I ask - do Blu-ray Audio discs play on a Blu-ray Video player or is a Blu-ray Audio player required? And is Blu-ray sound infinitely better than CD?

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
            Apparently, you get 'improved' packaging to sweeten the deal.
            Yes but you can't play the packaging!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              As I've not yet moved on from cds and dvds yet a question I ask - do Blu-ray Audio discs play on a Blu-ray Video player or is a Blu-ray Audio player required? And is Blu-ray sound infinitely better than CD?
              I too haven't "moved on" to paying for permission to use up some memory on the hard drive I've already paid for.

But to answer the question, Blu-ray audio isn't infinitely better, but there does appear to be some improvement. The Decca analogue recordings being discussed here are limited by what could be achieved 50 years ago, so don't expect miracles. A standard Blu-ray player will suffice.

On Blu-ray video discs, the advantage over DVD is more noticeable in the improvement of the cinema sound than in the improvement of picture quality (which is still significantly better).

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Simple answer: blu-ray players will play both blu-ray video and audio discs. As in:

which will play pretty much anything (DVD/BluRay/SACD/CD etc).

The quality of reproduction is better with BluRay Audio IMV (sometimes astonishingly so) but it will not disguise any shortcomings in the original recording. I have the Takacs's Beethoven/Kertesz's Dvorak but also the Bernstein Fidelio - which comes with full texts/translations

Comment

• Conchis
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2014

I've read people raving about the Solti Ring Blu-Ray but I've never heard it.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                    I've read people raving about the Solti Ring Blu-Ray but I've never heard it.
                    I have the big box (CDs plus BluRay) and it was what I was thinking of when I used "astonishingly" to qualify my description of the sound on the BluRay disc (one disc with 19 CDs worth on it), remastered from what always were good recordings. I see that it has been issued as a single BluRay with libretti. Some of Karajan's Strauss also sounds very fine indeed.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      https://www.arkivmusic.com/classical...&page_size=100

Have you ordered any of the XTC CD/ BluRay reissue packages ? They look very tempting but I don’t have a bluray player, ( although I guess at some point I will) so I haven’t bothered yet.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Have you ordered any of the XTC CD/ BluRay reissue packages ? They look very tempting but I don’t have a bluray player, ( although I guess at some point I will) so I haven’t bothered yet.
                        But woeful news about 'English Settlement' as, from what I've read on the XTC obsessives forum, Virgin have, err, "mislaid" the original tapes so no 5.1 mix etc - and therefore little point in BluRay. So we'll all have to make do with Birgit Nilsson's 'Elektra' .....

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          But woeful news about 'English Settlement' as, from what I've read on the XTC obsessives forum, Virgin have, err, "mislaid" the original tapes so no 5.1 mix etc - and therefore little point in BluRay. So we'll all have to make do with Birgit Nilsson's 'Elektra' .....
                          I think the same issue affects Mummer, which is, if anything even worse news. And I suspect that the same may be true of Big Express.

Perhaps Lordgeous can enlighten us on this if he pops by.......

( I'm currently exiled from Twitter so can't check up on APs page to check.)

Are you a fan then HD?
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post

...which will play pretty much anything (DVD/BluRay/SACD/CD etc).
                            I had no idea that Blu-ray players could play SACDs. I have quite a few of these and have often considered splashing out on a player, rather than just relying on the CD layer.

So I tried it, and the display confirmed the disc was an SACD, and played it faultlessly.

It's all rather exciting.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                              • Nov 2010

I had no idea that Blu-ray players could play SACDs. I have quite a few of these and have often considered splashing out on a player, rather than just relying on the CD layer.

So I tried it, and the display confirmed the disc was an SACD, and played it faultlessly.

It's all rather exciting.
                              Yay! All those Alpensinfonien available on SACD ...... I don't think that all BluRay players will necessarily play the SACD layer on either a Hybrid or SACD only disc but excellent if your machine does so

Comment

Working...
                              X