Bartok Viola Concerto (completed by Serly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy2112
    • Nov 2016

Bartok Viola Concerto (completed by Serly)

A new work to me, which I was fortunate enough to hear and enjoy very much at a concert by my local Symphony Orchestra this weekend. Would welcome any recommendations of recordings, CD only. Thanks in advance.
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Andy

Congratulations! You've tempted me back onto the forum, albeit only for an instant, to recommend this:

Bartók: Viola Concerto. Naxos: 8554183. Buy CD or download online. Hong-Mei Xiao (viola) Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra, Janos Kovacs

You get two versions of the viola concerto: the 1949 completion and orchestration by Tibor Serly and the 1995 version revised and edited by Peter Bartók (the composer's son) and Paul Neubauer.
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 01-04-18, 09:24. Reason: Forum, not thread! (But quoted already, so too late!)

Comment

• Bergonzi
      Banned
      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Andy

Congratulations! You've tempted me back onto the thread, albeit only for an instant, to recommend this:

Bartók: Viola Concerto. Naxos: 8554183. Buy CD or download online. Hong-Mei Xiao (viola) Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra, Janos Kovacs

You get two versions of the viola concerto: the 1949 completion and orchestration by Tibor Serly and the 1995 version revised and edited by Peter Bartók (the composer's son) and Paul Neubauer.
      I listened to the excerpts on line and this does sound like a good recording. Wonderful concerto.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        Andy
        Congratulations! You've tempted me back onto the forum, albeit only for an instant, to recommend this:

- the very version I would've recommended.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Other recordings worth considering are those with James Ehnes (Chandos) and, using an alto violin (a large viola played in a similar way to a cello), Yo-Yo Ma (Sony). There is also a single recording of a version for cello and orchestra played by Raphael Wallfisch (Nimbus).

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Other recordings worth considering are those with James Ehnes (Chandos) and, using an alto violin (a large viola played in a similar way to a cello), Yo-Yo Ma (Sony). There is also a single recording of a version for cello and orchestra played by Raphael Wallfisch (Nimbus).
            Lawrence Power on Hyperion , Kim Kashkashisn on ECM and whilst slightly less technically secure Menuhin on EMI for me.In fact Menuhin and Dorati would be my favourite available still on a 2CD Gemini set with the violin concertos, Rhapsodies and duos.
            Last edited by Barbirollians; 01-04-18, 12:35.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Shop classical & jazz new releases on CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, vinyl, and more, featuring today's top labels & artists!

Comment

• Andy2112
                • Nov 2016

Thank you Pulcinella et al. The Budapest/Naxos is ordered.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

This is one work I don't know very well at all.

Pulcie, great to see yo on here. Hoping it will be more of an instant soon!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                  X