X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Beethoven Symphonies VPO/Schmidt-Isserstedt

I only knew the quite lauded Ninth from this cycle which I enjoyed but did not find earth shattering .

I picked up a Decca Headline reissue of the coupling of 4 and 5 in a charity shop last week for £2 . Although the Scherzo seems rather slow I really enjoyed the Fifth especially the transition to the Finale and the finale itself - what terrific late 1960s Decca recording too . The Fourth is also charming and how beautifully the VPO play throughout .

I gather these were rather stalwart Beethoven accounts in the 1960s and 1970s - I note they have come up in other threads but I wondered what forumites think of them nowadays.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

One of my favourite cycles, though one can find better individual versions of the various symphonies.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

At the time it was probably overshadowed by the massive selling Karajan 60s set, but I also thought it an excellent set with superb Decca recording quality of the period. No9 was always marred by the mid 3rd movement side-break on LP.
      They were also the first LPs to be reissued on the Decca Jubilee label.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        At the time it was probably overshadowed by the massive selling Karajan 60s set, but I also thought it an excellent set with superb Decca recording quality of the period. No9 was always marred by the mid 3rd movement side-break on LP.
        That side break is still a moot point. There’s a badly edited gap even on CD versions. It’s same with the Ansermet 9th - probably done by the same transfer engineer.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

I think I had the lp of the Pastoral about a hundred years ago. It may have been my introduction to the work and one of my first classical records. It soon became supplanted by the Bruno Walter stereo recording and then the various Pastorals from the cycles that I collected then, Szell and Solti.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
            I think I had the lp of the Pastoral about a hundred years ago. It may have been my introduction to the work and one of my first classical records. It soon became supplanted by the Bruno Walter stereo recording and then the various Pastorals from the cycles that I collected then, Szell and Solti.
            I have now got on to a coupling of No 2 & 7 . The second symphony is a bit slow for my taste but plenty of charm and gorgeous playing.

The Seventh ,however, is an absolute belter thrilling from first note to last but not over driven and the VPO are just wonderful throughout . I have felt a bit jaded with this piece but not here in fact I have played it every day this week.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              I have now got on to a coupling of No 2 & 7 . The second symphony is a bit slow for my taste but plenty of charm and gorgeous playing.

The Seventh ,however, is an absolute belter thrilling from first note to last but not over driven and the VPO are just wonderful throughout . I have felt a bit jaded with this piece but not here in fact I have played it every day this week.
              I don’t like No2 rushed, particularly the lovely larghetto! And no Hippites don’t remind me about Beethoven’s metronome markings - I know what suits me!

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

I don’t like No2 rushed, particularly the lovely larghetto! And no Hippites don’t remind me about Beethoven’s metronome markings - I know what suits me!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Then you probably love this record already .

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    Then you probably love this record already .

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      That side break is still a moot point. There’s a badly edited gap even on CD versions.
                      Happily put right on Tower Records Japan's fairly recent issue of the set, remastered as hybrid SACDs. I bought it last year but had only dipped into it until prompted by this thread. Lovely playing by the VPO (which I remember from the LPs), OK remastering (very clear but it has sort of "dried out" the sound) and the performances are, well, OK but as a generality pale somewhat in the face of other cycles (I much agree with Barbs about the 7th, though - and I like the 4th a lot).

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                        Happily put right on Tower Records Japan's fairly recent issue of the set, remastered as hybrid SACDs. I bought it last year but had only dipped into it until prompted by this thread. Lovely playing by the VPO (which I remember from the LPs), OK remastering (very clear but it has sort of "dried out" the sound) and the performances are, well, OK but as a generality pale somewhat in the face of other cycles (I much agree with Barbs about the 7th, though - and I like the 4th a lot).
                        The set also includes a good Consecration of the House Ov.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          I have now acquired another Decca Headline second hand CD of this cycle containing the Sixth and Eighth Symphonies. I have not yet listened to the latter but I have greatly enjoyed the former . superb 1960s recording and such beautiful playing from the VPO . A very central reading but never at all boring and I don’t get the slight lack of warmth that TH mentions in Gramophone at the time of release.

It is a performance that sums up EA’s point about it being a great cycle although one might prefer performances of individual symphonies - for me Bohm ,Boult,Karajan 1953 for example - it is a lovely record on its own terms.

Comment

Working...
                          X