Shostakovich Symphonies (Tatarstan National Symphony Orchestra; Alexander Sladkovsky)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Shostakovich Symphonies (Tatarstan National Symphony Orchestra; Alexander Sladkovsky)

Anyone here knows these recordings? I intend to check them out via QOBUZ (which strangely, with the exception of Symphonies 2, 3 and 13, has the performers down as "Masters of Choral Singing").

• Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Anyone here knows these recordings? I intend to check them out via QOBUZ (which strangely, with the exception of Symphonies 2, 3 and 13, has the performers down as "Masters of Choral Singing").

http://www.musicweb-international.co...LCD1002470.htm
    Please don't ignore the 2nd and 3rd works that are all part of the composer's development and a window on the political environment of the time. According to Vasily Petrenko these two are "experimental and abstract in the way that visual art in the 1920s was. - The 2nd and 3rd are very difficult to perform properly and it took me a long time to work out how to make them feel logical."

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      Please don't ignore the 2nd and 3rd that all part of the composer's development and a window on political environment of the time. According to Vasily Petrenko these two are "are very difficult to perform properly and it took me long time to work out how to make them feel logical."
      The QOBUZ credits for the 2nd, 3rd and 13th cite only the Tatarstan National Symphony Orchestra. No mention of conductor or vocal contributors. The other symphonies have only the Masters of Choral Singing credited, no orchestra or conductor.

I got to know the 2nd and 3rd via their first recordings, with the RPO and Chorus under Morton Gould:

Comment

• HighlandDougie
        • Nov 2010

On the principle that one can never have too many DSCH symphony cycles (in reality, of course, one can - this one might be number 10, way too many), this set has just been delivered (considerably cheaper in France than the UK, including delivery to Scoterland). It might be the best-recorded, eclipsing Michael Sanderling, which is pretty good, and with some excellent orchestral playing. I was inclined to be a bit sceptical, based on the MusicWeb review, which seemed to be a bit too starry-eyed, but am so far much taken with it.

I'm not at all sure that it's worth the more-than-considerable price, in comparison with Janssons/Haitink/Kitaenko/et al, but, if you want a modern cycle, played by a Russian orchestra in excellent sound, this is the only show in town at the moment (Theodore Currentzis seemingly being unlikely to record the complete cycle in Russia, as opposed to Stuttgart).

Anyway, what does Bryn think?

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
          On the principle that one can never have too many DSCH symphony cycles (in reality, of course, one can - this one might be number 10, way too many), this set has just been delivered (considerably cheaper in France than the UK, including delivery to Scoterland). It might be the best-recorded, eclipsing Michael Sanderling, which is pretty good, and with some excellent orchestral playing. I was inclined to be a bit sceptical, based on the MusicWeb review, which seemed to be a bit too starry-eyed, but am so far much taken with it.

I'm not at all sure that it's worth the more-than-considerable price, in comparison with Janssons/Haitink/Kitaenko/et al, but, if you want a modern cycle, played by a Russian orchestra in excellent sound, this is the only show in town at the moment (Theodore Currentzis seemingly being unlikely to record the complete cycle in Russia, as opposed to Stuttgart).

Anyway, what does Bryn think?
          Too many other calls on my listening time at the moment. What I have heard, so far, via QOBUZ streaming, has impressed considerably. Clearly I have not been paying attention, since Sladkovsky was a new name to me. There is also a somewhat strange "Mahler x2" set of the 1st, 5th and 9th Symphonies in performances by both Kondrashin (re-releases) and Sladkovsky. Sladkovsky is genrally more expansive in terms of tempi there.

Comment

• mathias broucek
            • Nov 2010

Too many other calls on my listening time at the moment. What I have heard, so far, via QOBUZ streaming, has impressed considerably. Clearly I have not been paying attention, since Sladkovsky was a new name to me. There is also a somewhat strange "Mahler x2" set of the 1st, 5th and 9th Symphonies in performances by both Kondrashin (re-releases) and Sladkovsky. Sladkovsky is genrally more expansive in terms of tempi there.
            It’s an excellent set in terrific sound and VERY affordable from Qobuz! As is the Kondrashin set. Search for a Melodiya and Shostakovich

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
              It’s an excellent set in terrific sound and VERY affordable from Qobuz! As is the Kondrashin set. Search for a Melodiya and Shostakovich

Yes, the QOBUZ price, especially for those with a Sublime+ subscription, is a 'steal'. For the 96/24 option, Presto Classical £179.40, whereas the QOBUZ base price for 96/24 is £14.99 while the Sublime+ price is a mere £9.49!

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                Great recommendation, so many thanks for that. Going on what I have heard so far, it seems an absolute steal.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Great recommendation, so many thanks for that. Going on what I have heard so far, it seems an absolute steal.
                  Just added to 'My Sonos' selection from Deezer.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    Just added to 'My Sonos' selection from Deezer.

Be interested in your comments when you have had a listen. I have downloaded and burned the lot .For some reason 3 tracks didn't make it as far as media player, but I was able to add them in before burning.
                    Enjoyed symphonies 1 and 2 , but I don't know them terribly well.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Be interested in your comments when you have had a listen. I have downloaded and burned the lot .For some reason 3 tracks didn't make it as far as media player, but I was able to add them in before burning.
                      Enjoyed symphonies 1 and 2 , but I don't know them terribly well.
                      Good to see I’m not the last burner standing!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                        • Nov 2010

As well as the Tatarstan set (and the complete Kondrashin cycle referred to above), there is also the Melodiya DSCH SQ cycle with the Borodins, which includes Richter joining them in the Piano Quintet - yay! And the "Dmitri Shostakovich: All Symphonies box", which includes the elusive 15th conducted by Maxim S. All at ridiculously low prices.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          As well as the Tatarstan set (and the complete Kondrashin cycle referred to above), there is also the Melodiya DSCH SQ cycle with the Borodins, which includes Richter joining them in the Piano Quintet - yay! And the "Dmitri Shostakovich: All Symphonies box", which includes the elusive 15th conducted by Maxim S. All at ridiculously low prices.
                          If by "Dmitri Shostakovich: All Symphonies box" you refer to to the 110th Anniversary Edition, then where have you found it at a "ridiculously low" price? I paid a few pence under £75 for it in physical form from Brown's Books (via the amazonlco.uk marketplace) three years ago. Today it is listed at amazonl.co,uk as unavailable. Discogs lists but one copy available, and that at £154,67 plus p&p.

[I have since been advised by PM of its availability in CD quality from QOBUZ for all of £8.99! Now that is an absolute 'steal'.]
                          Last edited by Bryn; 10-02-20, 14:26. Reason: Update

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                            • Nov 2010

If by "Dmitri Shostakovich: All Symphonies box" you refer to to the 110th Anniversary Edition, then where have you found it at a "ridiculously low" price? I paid a few pence under £75 for it in physical form from Brown's Books (via the amazonlco.uk marketplace) three years ago. Today it is listed at amazonl.co,uk as unavailable. Discogs lists but one copy available, and that at £154,67 plus p&p.

[I have since been advised by PM of its availability in CD quality from QOBUZ for all of £8.99! Now that is an absolute 'steal'.]
                            Sorry, Bryn, I should have made it clear that I was talking about downloads from Qobuz. Another one - at the same price - is the Melodiya set of Shostakovich playing Shostakovich, including him in the piano part of his Piano Quintet.

Comment

Working...
                            X