• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    The sound of glee being stifled:

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      https://www.discogs.com/Various-Stud...elease/7585708

This was the one! The Boult Nutcracker Pas de deux was also excellent!
      No, I don't recognise that one. This https://retrogamesandfilms.com/the-e...ce-emi-seom-6/ is the one I was remembering with the Schubert Octet scherzo. It does have a good (bleeding) chunk of Barbirolli, the end his Mahler 5, but no Peer Gynt. That M5 track was indeed a potent influence on me, as was RVW's John Jayberd of Diss, the Elgar Wand of Youth items (Boult of course), and probably the Mozart pf concerto 15 movement (young Barenboim). All of these are still on the shelves in complete form, either as LP or CD.
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        On the whole, I would say they more than hold their own, though the EMI/Warner recording of the 6th is, perhaps, not quite up to his standard for the 1st, 5th or 9th.
        The live relay on Testament from the same time is very fine .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          The live relay on Testament from the same time is very fine .
          Yes, IIRC, EMI played around with Barburolli's intended order of the inner movements, for their issue.

Comment

JPC now have now put a price on the forthcoming Warner box, https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...s/hnum/9785002
            Slightly off topic, but the Michel Gielen CD boxes which pop up on that site seem possibly to be good value.

I have a number of Barbirolli recordings - maybe even some 78s. I really ought to play the Sibelius symphonies (EMI CDs) which, IIRC, are rather good. I do have the Berlin PO Mahler recordings on LP. The one which I really liked was the Introduction and Allegro etc. on EMI - LP, and subsequently also on CD. However, years after hearing that I heard other versions - and some are certainly not inferior - just different. I think the Tallis Fantasia is maybe the best thing on that record - beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
              I bought it when it was released on Phoenixa. It was cheap enough then.

Comment

I bought it when it was released on Phoenixa. It was cheap enough then.
                I also have that along with other Phoenixas Dvorak 7/8/9 and Tchaik 4/5/6.

Comment

Must have a listen, sometime. I do have a Barbirolli somewhere. His M9th, I think.
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                    Must have a listen, sometime. I do have a Barbirolli somewhere. His M9th, I think.
                    His Mahler 5 with the New Philharmonia, in the most recent remastering, is pretty much essential listening. Worth reading up on the jiggery-pokery of its editing history of the third movement. I won't spoil the fun of searching that out.

Comment

Having listened to the Sony 6 CD box of JB’s recordings 1938-42, I was struck by by the considerable differences between these and his later interpretations.
                      The first two Sibelius symphonies show many of Sir John’s qualities as we knew them in the 1960s - the expressive phrasing in particular - but the faster speeds are a revelation. I’m not sure which I prefer though.

Comment

His Mahler 5 with the New Philharmonia, in the most recent remastering, is pretty much essential listening. Worth reading up on the jiggery-pokery of its editing history of the third movement. I won't spoil the fun of searching that out.

is that really a big improvement on previous versions? Also, will that be in the big box, when it is released?

For me that is perhaps less an essential buy, but his Elgar 1 recordings are stunning - IMO. I think that’s the Symphony he does best - hope I’ve not mixed up with number 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          is that really a big improvement on previous versions? Also, will that be in the big box, when it is released?
                          The main thing is the horn edit in the third movement (see http://www.musicweb-international.co...li_4332902.htm for instance). I would expect it to be in the new big box which I am now seriously considering getting. I might wait to see if even better prices than the JPC.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

For me that is perhaps less an essential buy, but his Elgar 1 recordings are stunning - IMO. I think that’s the Symphony he does best - hope I’ve not mixed up with number 2.
                            I agree. He probably did Elgar 1 better than anyone. I like the 1957 Pye version the best.

Comment

Having listened to the Sony 6 CD box of JB’s recordings 1938-42, I was struck by by the considerable differences between these and his later interpretations.
                              The first two Sibelius symphonies show many of Sir John’s qualities as we knew them in the 1960s - the expressive phrasing in particular - but the faster speeds are a revelation. I’m not sure which I prefer though.
                              Just downloaded the set from Amazon - £7.99, I really prefer CDs and will do some selective burning but as I have some duplicates in the big NYPO box I am happy with this purchase!

Comment

The main thing is the horn edit in the third movement (see http://www.musicweb-international.co...li_4332902.htm for instance). I would expect it to be in the new big box which I am now seriously considering getting. I might wait to see if even better prices than the JPC.
                                I thought that had been fixed long ago - though admittedly some time after the original recording. Watford Town Hall, wasn't it?

Has it been modified again since?

Comment

Working...
                                X