X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Good Friday - listening

Although I am not a practising Christian I always tend to play the old Archiv Gardiner St Matthew Passion recording this morning of the year.

Any specific Good Friday listening for the rest of you ?
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Although I am not a practising Christian I always tend to play the old Archiv Gardiner St Matthew Passion recording this morning of the year.

An atheist writes: "A certain item from a work by Wagner springs to mind but my plan is to listen to Francis Monkman's music for The Long Good Friday in context."

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Possibly Opera Australia's DVD of 'The Mikado'.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Diamanda Galás might be appropriate today

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

I just go for the bl....ing obvious!

Prelude & Good Friday Music - just need to decide whether Jochum or Kempe!

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            I just go for the bl....ing obvious!

Prelude & Good Friday Music - just need to decide whether Jochum or Kempe!
            Me too.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Wagner: Parsifal Act 1

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

At the Thomanerkirche, Bach's church in Leipzig, they have a live stream of the St John Passion set up for 3pm on Good Friday. They are determined somehow to keep up a 170 year tradition, bring Bach fans throughout the world together and make up for the annual Leipzig Bachfest being cancelled. I haven't worked out exactly how they will be doing it but it seems that eight musicians will be actually in the church by Bach's grave (presumably at a suitable distance from each other) and other performers from around the world will be be added remotely. People at home are invited to join in the Chorales with the help of a programme sheet which will be available to download. The Icelandic tenor, Benedikt Kristjánsson, seems to have a taken on a large role, singing the the Evangelist and other roles and also conducting the virtual choir.

The live stream will be available from MDR Kultur. It will certainly be interesting to see how they manage it all.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

I will also sing the 2nd tenor part of ‘Morte Christe’ alongside my choir CD recording.

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

A few new purchases to catch up on: DSCH 11 BBCPO/Storgårds
                    and LVB Piano Trios Vol 1 Sitkovetsky Trio.

For some reason feel in the mood for Prokofiev Piano Sonatas.

Comment

• silvestrione
                      • Jan 2011

I listened to that version of the St Matthew last night. It felt more disturbing than usual, now why was that. But of course even words like 'sublime' and 'transcendent' don't do it justice.
                      I may listen to the first part in the Richter or Karajan (old) performance after lunch.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        A few new purchases to catch up on: DSCH 11 BBCPO/Storgårds
                        and LVB Piano Trios Vol 1 Sitkovetsky Trio.

For some reason feel in the mood for Prokofiev Piano Sonatas.
                        This is due to be delivered within the next few hours. Not quite sure what to expect of it in terms of transfer quality:

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

I posted something over on the Early Music/Baroque thread. Here's something else -

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            At the Thomanerkirche, Bach's church in Leipzig, they have a live stream of the St John Passion set up for 3pm on Good Friday. They are determined somehow to keep up a 170 year tradition, bring Bach fans throughout the world together and make up for the annual Leipzig Bachfest being cancelled. I haven't worked out exactly how they will be doing it but it seems that eight musicians will be actually in the church by Bach's grave (presumably at a suitable distance from each other) and other performers from around the world will be be added remotely. People at home are invited to join in the Chorales with the help of a programme sheet which will be available to download. The Icelandic tenor, Benedikt Kristjánsson, seems to have a taken on a large role, singing the the Evangelist and other roles and also conducting the virtual choir.

The live stream will be available from MDR Kultur. It will certainly be interesting to see how they manage it all.
                            PS 2pm our time! on now.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

Xylophone, football rattle?

Comment

Working...
                              X