X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

VPO Brahms Cycles

I have realized that I don’t have any Brahms recordings featuring the VPO dating later than Furtwangler. I’d like to rectify this and was perusing the cycles available and I don’t think I know any of them. I’m listening to Bernstein on Qobuz currently but I am looking for comments on the others.
    Barbiroli
    Bohm
    Bernstein
    Giulini
    Kertesz
    Kubelik
    Levine

Thoughts?
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Apparently Haitink recorded a Brahms cycle in Vienna which has never been issued.

I hope it’s still in the vaults somewhere.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      Apparently Haitink recorded a Brahms cycle in Vienna which has never been issued.

I hope it’s still in the vaults somewhere.
      I never knew that, Alison. Was he dissatisfied with it? The Boston SO cycle of the symphonies is a great favourite of mine but I share your hope that the VPO recordings are still in the vaults and see the light of day.

There aren't as many VPO Brahms cycles as I'd thought there would be. I have Barbirolli, excellent in 1 & 2, a little too slow in 3 & 4 but the 1960s vintage VPO play like angels for him. I also have Kubelik and Böhm. Kubelik's is more fleet of foot than Böhm and is in mono but it's a joy to hear the VPO in Brahms whoever is on the podium. Pity Karajan didn't quite get there.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

I have several favourite Brahms cycles.... sadly, none of them in Vienna....

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          I never knew that, Alison. Was he dissatisfied with it? The Boston SO cycle of the symphonies is a great favourite of mine but I share your hope that the VPO recordings are still in the vaults and see the light of day.

There aren't as many VPO Brahms cycles as I'd thought there would be. I have Barbirolli, excellent in 1 & 2, a little too slow in 3 & 4 but the 1960s vintage VPO play like angels for him. I also have Kubelik and Böhm. Kubelik's is more fleet of foot than Böhm and is in mono but it's a joy to hear the VPO in Brahms whoever is on the podium. Pity Karajan didn't quite get there.
          Right, I am specifically interested here in Brahms as played by the VPO. Karajan would have been nice. I have Kubelik with the Bavarians and would prefer someone else. Pace JLW, I am not expecting this to become a prefered cycle, and it’s too bad if there is a missing Haitink in there somewhere. Barbiroli got a terrible review that I dredged up, Bohm might be a safe choice, Giulini did an interminable B1 from Los Angeles. I also don’t have any Abrams by Bernstein so perhaps I will check off two boxes here

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

Gosh! A new thread!

The Carlos Kleiber Brahms 4 with VPO is very special. And there seems to be a No 2 which I've not heard.

Comment

• LHC
              • Jan 2011

Bernstein's cycle with the VPO is very slow and self indulgent, but they play magnificently for him and sound gorgeous, so if you primarily want the cycle for the VPO sound, rather than the interpretation, it might be worth considering.
              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini
                Don't the VPO record with living conductors any more?
                Recent Beethoven cycle with Nelsons.

I am very fond of the Kertesz VPO Fourth as that is how I got to know the work from a Decca Jubilee cassette- agree about the VPO/Kleiber 4 which is excellent . I like the VPO/Barbirolli 3rd a lot and the 2 and 4 it is 1 I find a bit slow.

Comment

• mikealdren
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini
                  Don't the VPO record with living conductors any more?
                  They've only ever recorded with living conductors!

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                    Bernstein's cycle with the VPO is very slow and self indulgent, but they play magnificently for him and sound gorgeous, so if you primarily want the cycle for the VPO sound, rather than the interpretation, it might be worth considering.
                    Having listened to substantial sections of the Bernstein set, I’m inclined to agree, although it has its moments.
                    Probably no more listening today, we need to monitor the riots in Chicago

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      Having listened to substantial sections of the Bernstein set, I’m inclined to agree, although it has its moments.
                      Probably no more listening today, we need to monitor the riots in Chicago
                      Although I'm not sure that the "VPO sound" isn't better suited to Bruckner rather than Brahms, the Kertesz cycle is worth investigating. The Kubelik is a bit ancient, recording-wise, and one gets the impression that the conductor never entirely got the measure of a notoriously difficult orchestra.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Some Karajan VPO Brahms here including Japanese issues........

Check out Orfeo Salzburg issues for other VPO Brahms....

Comment

• Alison
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                          They've only ever recorded with living conductors!

It was Roehre, once of this parish, who informed me. A great loss to the forum.

Apparently Philips also recorded L’enfant et les sortilèges.

Comment

• johnb
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                            The Kubelik is a bit ancient, recording-wise, and one gets the impression that the conductor never entirely got the measure of a notoriously difficult orchestra.
                            Many years ago Lady Barbirolli (Evelyn Rothwell) was interviews on R3 as part of programme on Barbirolli. She told of how JB was unhappy with the cellists that they had sent along for the rehearsal. During a break in the rehearsal, when the musicians had left the hall/stage/room, JB picked up one of the cellos and started to play. Whereupon one of the VPO management said something like "I'm sorry, I'll make sure you have better cellists in future and in the performance.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Maybe try Harnoncourt in the Requiem...?
                              Listen to unlimited or download Johannes Brahms : Ein Deutsches Requiem by Nikolaus Harnoncourt in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Comment

Working...
                              X