Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loris Tjeknavorian

Back in the early/mid 70s Tjeknavorian made a number of really good recordings for RCA with the National Philharmonic, RPO, LPO and LSO - mostly of Russian composers but also some of the Sibelius Syms (1 2 4 & 5) I think - there was a box of the complete Borodin orchestral works (The Symphonies are on CD, and Steppes and the P Igor orchestral bits) ) He then recorded for ASV and most of those have been available on CD. Most of the RCA recordings have never reappeared on CD - they would I feel make a very good Sony box.
    Last edited by cloughie; 26-06-20, 17:08.

I’d love to hear those Tchaik 4,5,6 - all done with different orchestras. His Borodin set is my first choice. Maybe Eloquence will delve (aren’t there some they’ve done by other artists, maybe I’ve got that wrong). You could never accuse him of being a Slow Loris (couldn’t resist.....).
    Last edited by Braunschlag; 26-06-20, 18:56.

Comment

I had his Borodin on lp and had to search hard to replace it on CD. The rest of the recordings that you mention are unknown to me, perhaps never released here. So whats the story with this conductor? he seemed immensely talented but whatever happened to him?

Comment

Moved to ASV ( anyone know why?). Big Khachaturian conductor and seems to have been back in Armenia for many years. Also a composer. His website is interesting as it includes references to those early RCA records. Interesting to note that Ken Wilkinson was engineer for the Borodin- was that a result of that short-lived Decca/RCA tie up I wonder?

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          I had his Borodin on lp and had to search hard to replace it on CD. The rest of the recordings that you mention are unknown to me, perhaps never released here. So whats the story with this conductor? he seemed immensely talented but whatever happened to him?

This tells a full story but...

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            We had the misfortune to see him at the Fairfield Halls in Croydon 40 or so years ago, conducting the most over-indulgent performance of the Sibelius 2nd symphony we'd ever heard. Some of the changes in tempo were excruciatingly exaggerated. I believe he'd hired the orchestra - the LSO? - for the evening. I guess it takes a special talent to ruin a work that normally brings out the best in orchestras.

Comment

Working...
            X