Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arthur Grumiaux edition

Decent review from Rob Cowan although he hasn't noticed the main problem with the set; there are 3 versions of the Beethoven concerto but the Galiera version (+ Haitink romances) are on disks 44 and 45 so the Davis version (+ De Waart romances) are missing. Decca are aware of the problem and I hope I'll get a new CD soon. I also don't really get his comparison with Heifetz, for me Heifetz's tone had an emotional intensity whereas Grumiaux was elegant and poised. Unlike Rob, I can't really imagine Grumiaux in the Elgar or Korngold, he didn't have Heifetz's romantic side - probably why he avoided the Sibelius too.

The other problems with the set for me are:
    1. The box is square so it doesn't fit on a CD sized shelf
    2. The CDs are packaged in card envelopes and the envelopes with 3 and 4 CDs are not easy to open.
    3. The CDs have not been remastered and some of the transfers are not as good as they should be by modern standards. I know that Philips recordings were not always in the Decca class but, compared with the original Vinyl, I'm sure some could sound better.

Having said all that, Grumiaux was one of the great players and the set is marvellous.

The term that always is used to describe his playing is Aristocratic. I agree that using Heifetz as a comparator is not apt. Nathan Milstein, perhaps. I believe I came across a review of some concerts featuring his trio that have been released. Are they included?

The packaging of these big box sets is indeed problematic. Finding space for them is a challenge as well. And if they are to be transferred to a Hard Drive, what to do with the booklets?

Comment

Interesting - though big and expensive. This somewhat cheaper set might suit some people - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Milestones-...6PV/ref=sr_1_2 under £10 -
      though I don't know if the recordings/transfers are any good.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Interesting - though big and expensive. This somewhat cheaper set might suit some people - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Milestones-...6PV/ref=sr_1_2 under £10 -
        though I don't know if the recordings/transfers are any good.
        I have that box and the transfers are not too bad. It's a shame, however, that only two of the Mozart sonatas are included. Where their numbers, "40 and 42" come from is something of a mystery to me. I thought only 16 survived to this day.

Comment

I paid £126 from Amazon, for 74 CDs that seemed a bit of a bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
            I paid £126 from Amazon, for 74 CDs that seemed a bit of a bargain.
            I think it's relative. The price is currently a bit higher than that - £134.23 - but a lot is going to depend on whether one really wants 74 CDs - or even just a moderate number of them. Prices from EU sources are probably comparable too - and we still haven't really figured out what companies like Amazon do with imports from the EU.
            In the past - pre "sh - you know what" days, there could sometimes be a substantial benefit in ordering from outside the UK, but I've still not dared to try that yet.

Comment

I agree Dave, it's only a bargain if you love Grumiaux's playing as much as I do and I partly funded it by selling by Grumiaux Mono recordings box in Ebay. At less that £2 per CD it's pretty good value and a few of the CDs have been near unobtainable for years. The real issue is that Universal have reissued many of the recordings in varied couplings over the years resulting in lots of duplications and it's taken for ever for them to issue this box in the UK.

Comment

Many thanks all. I did know about this disc problem. I had alerted Decca who were already aware of the hitch and who assured me that henceforth the problem was solved and they would supply discs where missing. I'd stick by the comparison with Heifetz, most especially in Mozart, and so would Lady Weidenfeld (agent for Arthur Rubinstein and Menahem Pressler) who dropped me an email after the programme. I personally could easily imagine Grumiaux in the Elgar, as in the Walton (which he did play, over here) - Korngold no, but Goldmark and Conus definitely yes. Milstein's suave style was something else again. What about Ehnes and Hahn? Nearer I think. The transfers compare favourably with their CD predecessors, vinyl as well. Best to all. Rob.

Comment

I guess I'm going to add it to my list of "possibles". It's not as if I don't have other large boxes to listen to though. I agree that for those who really want a large and in depth personal archive of Grumiaux's recordings to delve into this could be considered a bargain. Which are the performances/pieces which have been near unobtainable in recent years?

I should get back into listening - but I've hardly listened to any recordings for quite a while now - for various reasons.

Comment

Interesting comments Rob, I certainly agree with you about the parallels between Grumiaux and Hahn, I love both their playing but the Sibelius and Elgar elude Hilary too. I do think the key is the emotional content, they are certainly not cold players but neither do they wear their hearts on their sleeves.

Comment

I heartily welcome Rob Cowan here—his reviews of boxed sets are the first thing I read in each issue—but if Grumiaux is to be compared to any of the Auer pupils, I’ll stick with Milstein. I do like his Hiliary Hahn comparison, however

Comment

Much prefer Grumiaux to Milstein. Especially , his Beethoven and Brahms concertos.

Comment

Working...
                        X