No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saint-Saëns box set

Saint-Saëns CD collection:

Has anyone tried this 34 CD box set - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Saint-Saens...96HWHY7F&psc=1

Apparently - somewhere in the set - there might even be a recording with the composer playing - or perhaps conducting - but I couldn't spot it in the lists I found.

I probably don't need any more recordings of the symphonies, or even the piano concertos - but some of the other works are much less well known. I don't even know the violin concertos very well. Seems he wrote three, as well as a couple of cello concertos.
    I might put it on Santa's list.

The first violin concerto is a gorgeous piece. I’m sure this set was mentioned on Record Review on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      The first violin concerto is a gorgeous piece. I’m sure this set was mentioned on Record Review on Saturday.
      Seconded, Ricci's recording is my favourite, one of his best and I'm looking forward to getting the Decca reissue in his American Recordings box for Christmas along with his magnificent Sarasate, "Glory of Cremona" and "Bravura" recordings that have either had limited or no CD reissue.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        The 34 CD box set was discussed in RR at around ! hour 50 minutes in on BBC Sounds. Quite why that can't use proper indexing, as in a previous incarnation of the on-demand interface I can't understand. Seems to get a thumbs up - with some qualifications. There's obviously some form of glitch on one of the CDs which people have complained about. Is that something which Warner are offering to fix? Not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          The 34 CD box set was discussed in RR at around ! hour 50 minutes in on BBC Sounds. Quite why that can't use proper indexing, as in a previous incarnation of the on-demand interface I can't understand. Seems to get a thumbs up - with some qualifications. There's obviously some form of glitch on one of the CDs which people have complained about. Is that something which Warner are offering to fix? Not sure.
          The labelling on the Warner Ravel box was poor also!

Comment

I have the Martinon and Collard sets and the legendary Darre account of the Concertos - not sure I need the rest . As for Violin Concerto No 1 - I love KWC's version No 2 Ivry Gitlis is terrific on Decca. Chung and Perlman both excellent in No 3 .

There is of course also a Prom with Ida Haendel on You Tube in No 3 - fabulous playing

Comment

A very good set, from what I’ve heard. There’s some right gemstone be had!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                the legendary Darre account of the Concertos
                I was completely unaware of these performances - but was entranced by the movement from No. 2 played on RR. Investigating further in their separate Erato releases.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                  I was completely unaware of these performances - but was entranced by the movement from No. 2 played on RR. Investigating further in their separate Erato releases.
                  They are amazing. In fact ,I think I shall play one of them in a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                    Makes sense, and perhaps you have some way of checking out the Erato releases without buying the CDs - e.g. Tidal or Qobuz. On the other hand, if CDs, it might still be cheaper to buy the new box - depends what you want and how many of course.

I have put in a Santa request - will see what happens!

Comment

Just been checking this out. Looks attractive but decided not to go for it. I've just bought a good complete solo and duet piano edition over 5 CDs with Marylène Dosse. There seem to be only two discs here. I also recently got the recommendable and well-priced Hyperion Saint-Saëns song recital with François Le Roux and Graham Johnson which has 27 songs. The edition has an interesting but less generous selection.

I noticed on the Amazon site that the contents info on the back of the box has a small error, referring to CD 17-19, then CD 19-20.

Comment

The information of performers for each of the works included is on the Presto website. On a quick search, the only place I found it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          Makes sense, and perhaps you have some way of checking out the Erato releases without buying the CDs - e.g. Tidal or Qobuz.

Yes, they’re on Qobuz (whereas the Warner box is not, as far as I can see)
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                          X