Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dvorak Symphony No 9 from the New World

Too popular even for Building a Library it seems compared to works that comeback every few years.

Listening to that 1950s Karajan box I found there is a NewWorld with the BPO. I note no BAL on this symphony for a long while.

This record sent shivers down my spine. I found out it was because I knew it from its old HMV Concert Classics incarnation which my grandparents owned in the 1970s

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Too popular even for Building a Library it seems compared to works that comeback every few years.

Listening to that 1950s Karajan box I found there is a NewWorld with the BPO. I note no BAL on this symphony for a long while.

This record sent shivers down my spine. I found out it was because I knew it from its old HMV Concert Classics incarnation which my grandparents owned in the 1970s
    I have heard this work in Concert perhaps a dozen times, and have more recordings than I can count. You may be interested in a presentation that Gerald McBurney did with the CSO about the piece in their now defunct “Beyond The Score” series. I was there and it was riveting.
    Szell and Cleveland would be my Desert Island choice

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      I have heard this work in Concert perhaps a dozen times, and have more recordings than I can count. You may be interested in a presentation that Gerald McBurney did with the CSO about the piece in their now defunct “Beyond The Score” series. I was there and it was riveting.
      Szell and Cleveland would be my Desert Island choice
      Thank you RF. “Beyond The Score” - new to me. Its listed here, and shown as available to view, freely:
      https://csosoundsandstories.org/beyo...f-productions/
      UPDATE: I now see that is a broken web link. So not, apparently, available.

I have the Rowicki set, and a Bělohlávek (supraphon) - a gift from Czech friends. My first purchase, in those early years was the Zdenek Makal /LPO recording on Classics for Pleasure which struck me as a great interpretation and no mean recording. Being so well known, its a long time since I sought them out to listen to, let alone compare; I suspect I would still be very happy with the Makal.......

p.s. - RF - do you know of a way to access the works on the list of the “Beyond The Score” series - all of them, apparently? (Edited)
      Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 27-02-22, 15:04.

Comment

Royal Concertgebouw OrchestraKlaus Mäkelä - conductorAntonín Dvorák - Symphony No. 9 ‘From the New World’00:10 I. Adagio – Allegro molto13:05 II. Largo26:12 ...

I found this really impressive and certainly a rising star conductor.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
          Thank you RF. “Beyond The Score” - new to me. Its listed here, and shown as available to view, freely:
          https://csosoundsandstories.org/beyo...f-productions/
          UPDATE: I now see that is a broken web link. So not, apparently, available.

I have the Rowicki set, and a Bělohlávek (supraphon) - a gift from Czech friends. My first purchase, in those early years was the Zdenek Makal /LPO recording on Classics for Pleasure which struck me as a great interpretation and no mean recording. Being so well known, its a long time since I sought them out to listen to, let alone compare; I suspect I would still be very happy with the Makal.......

p.s. - RF - do you know of a way to access the works on the list of the “Beyond The Score” series - all of them, apparently? (Edited)
          I was just searching You Tube today to see if I could find the Dvorak BTS. Regrettably only a 10 minute excerpt. I will keep trying

Comment

I think you need Monteux
            Yup!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Yup!
              Thanks! ... ...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Going back to my opening post it must be the 1980s as it was definitely the HMV Concert Classics LP they had and it was good to hear it in this box coupled as then with Vltava. I hadn’t heard it for nearly 30 years but it sounded instantly familiar . Terrific performances that stayed at full price for 24 years from 1959 to 1983.

Comment

Going back to my opening post it must be the 1980s as it was definitely the HMV Concert Classics LP they had and it was good to hear it in this box coupled as then with Vltava. I hadn’t heard it for nearly 30 years but it sounded instantly familiar . Terrific performances that stayed at full price for 24 years from 1959 to 1983.
                  …and in that time also on HMV Concert Classics the Kempe and Giulini recordings ( both top notch) were also selling very well! VPO/Kertesz on Decca World of… costing even less!

Comment

I like this symphony, but I always avoid programmes in which it features.

It gets a lot of traction in the provinces.

Comment

I think posts 6 and 7 need to join the Franck symphony thread.

Comment

I listened to the wrong one, a 1970s version with Karajan and the BPO, in a different Warner box. Very fierce! I hadn't listened to the New World for years and years (too much exposure early on), and was struck by what an impressive powerful work it is. Would not listen to this Karajan again though!

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                          I listened to the wrong one, a 1970s version with Karajan and the BPO, in a different Warner box. Very fierce! I hadn't listened to the New World for years and years (too much exposure early on), and was struck by what an impressive powerful work it is. Would not listen to this Karajan again though!
                          Yes the 1957 one in the orchestral spectaculars from 1949-1960 boxis much better than the 1970s one I think.

Comment

Originally posted by ChandlersFord View Post
                            I like this symphony, but I always avoid programmes in which it features. It gets a lot of traction in the provinces.
                            ...and also some in the Metropolis.

I thoroughly enjoyed hearing it played brilliantly by the Vienna Philharmonic after Leonidas Kavakos's Korngold Violin Concerto at the 2019 Proms, the day after Haitink's farewell Bruckner 7 . Andrés Orozco-Estrada began the concert with The Noonday Witch.

Andrés Orozco-Estrada conducts the Vienna Philharmonic in a concert with a Central European accent. Dvořák’s ‘New World’ Symphony and folk-inspired The Noonday Witch join Korngold’s unashamedly Romantic Violin Concerto. Leonidas Kavakos is the soloist.

My 1972 pocket money could only afford the fiery NBC SO / Toscanini on a cheap RCA Victrola reissue (rec. Carnegie Hall, 2/2/1953), which was played to destruction in boarding school:

Comment

Oddly enough I rarely heard this symphony performed during my most intensive period of concert attendance (60s to 70s -19 that is) and rarely since too. Just luck of the draw I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                              X