Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete DG Abbado box - or is it?

The monster box just released claims to contain 'all the albums that Claudio Abbado made for the labels Deutsche Grammophon and Decca'.

However, there is a significant omission that passes, as far as I can find out from the books with the set, without comment.

In 2000 Abbado recorded a complete Beethoven symphony cycle with the Berliner Philharmoniker in Berlin. These recordings were issued but in the following year, 2001, Abbado and the BPO recorded another cycle in Rome for video on Euroarts. When DG came to issue the audio recordings of the latter set, Abbado expressed a wish that the 9th from the 2000 cycle be retained in preference to the Rome performance. That format is followed in the big box but the earlier set recorded in Berlin has not been included at all.

My view is that this decision is a mistake and that both the 2000 Berlin and 2001 Rome cycles should have been included for the sake of 'completeness'.

I don't know whether Abbado disowned the earlier set and asked for it to never be reissued but even if this was the case it surely needed an explanatory note to this effect in the accompanying booklets. It isn't even mentioned and has seemingly vanished apart from the 9th.

Fortunately, I have the earlier set (though not the Rome video cycle) but in my view DG should have made mention of what is a very significant omission from an otherwise seriously impressive box.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

I was wondering about the earlier Berlin cycle which after all was well reviewed at the time; I found the alleged upgrade slightly dubious.
    Last edited by Alison; 19-02-23, 22:13.

Comment

There are one or two other anomalies that could do with explanation. The Lucerne Festival Orchestra recording of the Bruckner Symphony No 1 (1890/1 Vienna version) originally issued on the Accentus label is included in the box but not with the original jacket cover. The Bruckner 4 also Lucerne/Accentus isn't there at all..

For some reason, the Mahler 8 recording is issued in the box but not with its rather impressive original jacket cover which had a fine photo of the crowded stage in the Philharmonie at a performance. It's replaced without explanation by a rather dull standard picture of Abbado in conducting mode with the words 'Mahler 8' above.

Comment

Is the earlier Beethoven cycle with the Wiener Philharmoniker included, or is that too jettisoned in favour of the final cycles with the BPO?
        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
        Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
          Is the earlier Beethoven cycle with the Wiener Philharmoniker included, or is that too jettisoned in favour of the final cycles with the BPO?
          The VPO cycle is there, I'm glad to say!

There's no need for anyone to be put off buying this set because of these anomalies - it really is very impressive indeed and makes the omission of the 2000 Beethoven recordings most odd. If Abbado requested that they never be reissued I can understand it, if not agree with it, but an explanation is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

I don't know whether Abbado disowned the earlier set and asked for it to never be reissued but even if this was the case it surely needed an explanatory note to this effect in the accompanying booklets. It isn't even mentioned and has seemingly vanished apart from the 9th.
            Although much was made at the time about the Rome concerts being of a 'revised' version/interpretation, there didn't seem to be that much of a difference between the two cycles. I still have the earlier one which still seems to be available. Download from Presto or buy from amazon.com so I don't think that Abbado issued any sort of definitive fatwah against it. So it seems rather odd not to have included it.

Although the box can be had quite a bit cheaper here in France, I would be buying it pretty much as an object of desire, given that I must have at least 80% of its contents already. So, tempted as I am, I'm resisting its siren charms. I might, though, succumb to the Bernard Haitink box, despite again having most of its contents already.

Comment

The artwork for the first Berlin cycle was quite attractive too.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                The artwork for the first Berlin cycle was quite attractive too.
                Better than that for the Rome cycle. Some of those jacket photos are a bit odd. Ironically, most of the photos used for the Berlin cycle are reproduced in the book that comes with the set.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  The VPO cycle is there, I'm glad to say!
                  Still the best Coriolan I’ve heard
                  Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Ah, but have you heard Furtwangler's 1943 live performance?

Comment

Not sure. I’ll have to truffle it out.
                      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

I doubt any of us has - the live sound recording equipment of the day didn't permit it!

Comment

NYT review from David Allen on this big box set of Abbado:

Comment

Working...
                          X