Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Praga Digitals at it again?

Back in August 2017, we had a brief discussion regarding the Praga Digitals "Genuine Stereo Lab" release of what purported to be stereo recordings of the Bartok String Quartets played by the Vegh Quartet in 1956. When challenged on the provenance of these "genuine stereo" recordings, they asserted that a stereo recording was made in tandem with the mono ones which were actually issued on LP. The claim was that the stereo recordings were made for the American market but not used at the time. No further evidence was offered. I remain unconvinced by their assertions. Yesterday, browsing among recordings of works by Varèse available to stream in high definition via QOBUZ, I found this:

The recordings come from three different sources, Vox, Vanguard and RCA Victor, none of which are credited anywhere in the booklet pdf. Praga Digitals also falsely claim that the recording of Ameriques is of the original version of 1921. In fact, it's the revised version of 1927. Abravanel never performed or recorded the original 1921 score (which, though interesting and since recorded by Chailly et al, Varèse rejected). So slapdash was Praga Digitals crediting that no mention is made of the soloist in Offrandes, Marie Therèse Escribano. Somehow this Praga Digitals release has gained a Diapason d’Or. Curiouser still, they claim that the recording of Nocturnal dates from 1966, some 2 years before the work was even prepared for performance by Chou Wen-chung from Varèse's unfinished sketches. Beware the claims of the decidedly dodgy Praga Digitals.

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Back in August 2017, we had a brief discussion regarding the Praga Digitals "Genuine Stereo Lab" release of what purported to be stereo recordings of the Bartok String Quartets played by the Vegh Quartet in 1956. When challenged on the provenance of these "genuine stereo" recordings, they asserted that a stereo recording was made in tandem with the mono ones which were actually issued on LP. The claim was that the stereo recordings were made for the American market but not used at the time. No further evidence was offered. I remain unconvinced by their assertions. Yesterday, browsing among recordings of works by Varèse available to stream in high definition via QOBUZ, I found this:

The recordings come from three different sources, Vox, Vanguard and RCA Victor, none of which are credited anywhere in the booklet pdf. Praga Digitals also falsely claim that the recording of Ameriques is of the original version of 1921. In fact, it's the revised version of 1927. Abravanel never performed or recorded the original 1921 score (which, though interesting and since recorded by Chailly et al, Varèse rejected). So slapdash was Praga Digitals crediting that no mention is made of the soloist in Offrandes, Marie Therèse Escribano. Somehow this Praga Digitals release has gained a Diapason d’Or. Curiouser still, they claim that the recording of Nocturnal dates from 1966, some 2 years before the work was even prepared for performance by Chou Wen-chung from Varèse's unfinished sketches. Beware the claims of the decidedly dodgy Praga Digitals.
    I avoid that label, after having p
    purchased a few SACDs from them that were just Melodiya mono recordings from the 50s. However, did you actually listen to the Bartok recordings? There were in fact a lot of dual mono/stereo recordings from the mid to late fifties that originally not released in stereo because of the paucity of ownership of stereo equipment

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      I avoid that label, after having p
      purchased a few SACDs from them that were just Melodiya mono recordings from the 50s. However, did you actually listen to the Bartok recordings? There were in fact a lot of dual mono/stereo recordings from the mid to late fifties that originally not released in stereo because of the paucity of ownership of stereo equipment
      I purchased the Vegh Bartok CDs. There is some sense of space (i.e. stereo) but no real placement of instruments. That, of course, could simply be down to microphone placement and polar characteristics but I found no significant improvement in sound field over the mono versions allegedly made in tandem (as heard in their Scribendum CD release).

Comment

Working...
      X