Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thomas Ades - Dante ballet

I see Mr McGregor made this a record of the week and I was very taken by the extracts he played. I see the Gramophone reviewer was a bit sniffy about some of it.

Anyone bought it or heard the whole ballet ? If so what do you think?

Not much interest here! I watched the ballet version on TV a couple of times, intrigued because I'm especially interested in Dante, and I did enjoy it. But not sure I'd want to be bothered with the music on its own.

Comment

Yes I noted the lack of interest - when was it on TV ? Is it still available to stream somewhere do you know ?

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
        . . . But not sure I'd want to be bothered with the music on its own.
        My reaction to everything I have heard of his, except his work as a piano accompanist in Janáček's Diary of one who disappeared, which was very fine.

Comment

I've just downloaded it and have rather taken to it, especially as accompaniment in the car...Like a lot of Ades, it's fun spotting the stylistic references, but it's played with great panache (and sound quality) so I can't really grumble. How well it wears is another matter maybe, but for now I'm enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
            I've just downloaded it and have rather taken to it, especially as accompaniment in the car...Like a lot of Ades, it's fun spotting the stylistic references, but it's played with great panache (and sound quality) so I can't really grumble. How well it wears is another matter maybe, but for now I'm enjoying it.
            Was the download from Bandcamp? I was quite surprised to see Nonesuch using that site for distribution.

Comment

Presto - my usual source.

Comment

As an admirer of Adès's orchestral and chamber music (and the majority of his operas, with the exception of The Tempest) I'm looking forward to hearing Dante, which I have reason to believe might be coming my way when I have my birthday in a couple of weeks or so. It's interesting to read the positive comments on it here: for me, Tevot and the Violin Concerto are among my favourite works by a contemporary composer - I'd love to know why he wasn't commissioned for the Coronation. Did he perhaps turn it down??

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                  It's interesting to read the positive comments on it here: for me, Tevot and the Violin Concerto are among my favourite works by a contemporary composer
                  You've just happened to name the two that are also my favourites by him - along with Totentanz. I think you'll enjoy Dante - it's full of typical Ades colour and excitement and it's really very infectious, with great orchestral writing and wearing its homages fully, but you sense with genuine affection.

Comment

Streaming now: no booklet/text of course.
                    Anyone know what is sung?

Comment

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
                      You've just happened to name the two that are also my favourites by him - along with Totentanz. I think you'll enjoy Dante - it's full of typical Ades colour and excitement and it's really very infectious, with great orchestral writing and wearing its homages fully, but you sense with genuine affection.
                      Thank you - my appetite is even more keenly whetted!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Streaming now: no booklet/text of course.
                        Anyone know what is sung?
                        Fulsome review in The Guardian that mentions pre-recorded voices from the Ades Synagogue in Jerusalem...

Comment

Fulsome review in The Guardian that mentions pre-recorded voices from the Ades Synagogue in Jerusalem...

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/20...-edward-watson
                          I have not read the review but did you intend the modern or the historical use of "Fulsome"?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            I have not read the review but did you intend the modern or the historical use of "Fulsome"?
                            Bit confused, I'm afraid: always thought it meant slightly overly enthusiastic, or similar.

Comment

Bit confused, I'm afraid: always thought it meant slightly overly enthusiastic, or similar.
                              No, it's used whenever Scots people need another drink: "Will ye fullsome more, lassie?"

Comment

Working...
                              X