Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So nobody owns a Sibelius cycle ? How odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      I have several to hand but none that I regard as an overall favorite as a survey (I don't think of composers' works such as symphonies as cycles).

Comment

Interesting discussion on the Sibelius 6 BAL thread as to whether this composer's symphonies are the most disparate and most difficult to produce a cohesive complete cycle of .
        I’d have to say the Vanska/Lahti set, so good in the pieces I like most plus it’s fascinating to have such a great performance of the original version of No. 5
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Like Bryn, I have a large number of complete cycles, all of which provide wonderful listening. Choosing between them would be invidious, pointless, and change from day to day. The only one I sold on was - I blush to admit - the EMI set by my all-time favourite conductor, whose name Barbirollians of all forumites does not need to be told.

(I retain his earlier partial Pye cycle, reissued by the B. Society, and a Chesky No.2 with the RPO which is breathtakingly good, so needn't be quite cast into outer darkness for heresy!)

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
            Like Bryn, I have a large number of complete cycles, all of which provide wonderful listening. Choosing between them would be invidious, pointless, and change from day to day. The only one I sold on was - I blush to admit - the EMI set by my all-time favourite conductor, whose name Barbirollians of all forumites does not need to be told.

(I retain his earlier partial Pye cycle, reissued by the B. Society, and a Chesky No.2 with the RPO which is breathtakingly good, so needn't be quite cast into outer darkness for heresy!)
            The Pye Golden Guinea (stereo) LP of the 5th and Pohjola's Daughter was one of my earliest LP purchases back in my youth. I now have them at least twice on CD (Barbirolli Soc. and Complete Warner box).

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post

I love that set despite some rather questionable tempos - except for the First- I think his earlier version of that is much better.

Comment

I collected all the Jarvi recordings with the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra for BIS in the 80s. I like them but have often noted that later recordings for BIS by Vanska surpassed them.

Comment

Aren't there a few threads where this has been kicked around? Regardless my favorite complete cycles are Berglund/Bournemouth, Davis/Boston, the two Vanskas, and Rouvali. I like the Barbirolli/Halle quite a bit but the Orchestral playing is a bit rough at times.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                    Aren't there a few threads where this has been kicked around?
                    There certainly are, e.g.

Comment

Age withering my memory it seems

Comment

I’d throw into the mix

BBCPO/Storgards

Orchestre de Paris/P Jarvi

CBSO/Rattle

Comment

Age withering my memory it seems

I’m tempted to combine those 3 with this current one - the ‘Sibelius cycle one-stop shop’… Does it seem a good idea to you, as thread-starter (of two of them )?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

I’m tempted to combine those 3 with this current one - the ‘Sibelius cycle one-stop shop’… Does it seem a good idea to you, as thread-starter (of two of them )?
                            Yes !

Comment

Yes !
                              Done !

Comment

Working...
                              X