What recording can you always tell who is playing ?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
    I can usually identify Jascha Heifetz, Yehudi Menuhin, Ida Haendel and Igor Oistrakh.
    You can usually identify Heifetz without even listening to the recording; if the timing is 5 minutes shorter than everybody else then it’s probably Heifetz.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfram View Post
      You can usually identify Heifetz without even listening to the recording; if the timing is 5 minutes shorter than everybody else then it’s probably Heifetz.

Or the core of his tone which is absolutely unmistakable . I honestly think I could spot him from just a G major scale .

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
        Or the core of his tone which is absolutely unmistakable . I honestly think I could spot him from just a G major scale .
        There have been a lot of replies like that. How many of us have put it to the test? I think this is harder than you imagine (e.g., piano tone), though often age of recording and repertoire give a big helping hand. One definite one is Gould in Bach, though.

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
          There have been a lot of replies like that. How many of us have put it to the test? I think this is harder than you imagine (e.g., piano tone), though often age of recording and repertoire give a big helping hand. One definite one is Gould in Bach, though.
          For clarification I could obviously not spot a pianist from g major scale . This comment applies to the violinist Heifetz who had a very distinctive tone and restrained vibrato. He also had a refreshing habitat of playing in tune.

Comment

I can tell Anne-Sophie Mutter, particularly in the last 20 years, owing to the slightly febrile tone/phrasing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
              For clarification I could obviously not spot a pianist from g major scale . This comment applies to the violinist Heifetz who had a very distinctive tone and restrained vibrato. He also had a refreshing habit of playing in tune.
              Yes, indeed. I
              I’ve just bought a Lyrita issue capturing the first british performance / broadcast of a British string concerto by its foreign dedicatee. The performance had character and interest but ‘hit and miss’ tuning from the distinguished soloist forced me to turn to a solid but ‘in tune’ performance by a Welsh player.

Comment

Working...
              X