Complete Mahler symphony cycles - Svetlanov bargain?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete Mahler symphony cycles - Svetlanov bargain?

I'm not usually keen on complete Mahler symphony cycles but I've just seen that Presto is offering the Michael Gielen cycle on Hanssler at 20% off (£77.20) but I'm also fascinated to see that they have a Svetlanov cycle for £34.50. That might be very interesting.

This page lists all recordings of Symphonies 1-9 by Gustav Mahler (1860–1911).

Does anyone have an informed opinion about the Svetlanov Mahler symphony cycle please?

I can't really help you, but it's likely to quite sumptuous in the Russian way. If this is to your taste, and you don't mind French horns played with a rather obvious vibrato, then consider it. Incidentally, I have the Maazel/VPO set (the next one down on that list) and it's a bit of a mixed bag. Amazing orchestral sounds, as you would expect, but it must be the most matter-of-fact version of the 8th every to be committed to disc.
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 20-12-10, 00:26.

Comment

I love Maazel's 1st and 4th but I had his 5th and 6th and found them disappointing.
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

I haven't heard any of Svetlanov's Mahler but this review is probably fair.
        www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/DEC10/Mahler_symphonies_Svetlanov_2564688862.htm

Comment

Many thanks for the review link Curalach. If resources were not stretched I'd be very tempted; after all a little idiosyncrasy can be a wonderful thing.

I'll keep dreaming of the complete release of Wyn Morris' recordings instead

Comment

On the general topic of Mahler cycles, I never cease to be surprised at how many recorded cycles there are. As they often call for large forces, they must be very expensive to produce and the market isn't quite as healthy as we might wish, yet new ones keep appearing.

Comment

I'm very fond of the Michael Gielen cycle, it was quite cheap to download from amazon recently .

Comment

On the subject of Russian Mahler there is also a cycle from Kondrashin out there. Has anyone heard that? I was bowled over by a live 7th with the Concertgebouw from 1979 on the Tahra label and wonder of the complete set is worth investigation.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  On the subject of Russian Mahler there is also a cycle from Kondrashin out there. Has anyone heard that? I was bowled over by a live 7th with the Concertgebouw from 1979 on the Tahra label and wonder of the complete set is worth investigation.
                  Have you encountered a complete cycle by Kondrashin? I didn't think he'd ever recorded 2 or 8.
                  I have 1 (his last concert), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (two recordings) and 9. He was a marvellous Mahler conductor.

Comment

There's no complete cycle from Kondrashin, but this is the closest you'll find:

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                      There's no complete cycle from Kondrashin, but this is the closest you'll find:

Oops, sorry, I thought it was complete. Yes that's the one, IGI. One for my New Year wish list. Thanks also to Makropolus
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

You will not be disappointed, Petrushka. I got the 3rd (with the Russian Language vocal contributions) when I appeared on a pair of MK heavy weight vinyl discs. The pressings were dire, but you could hear how magnificent the performance was. I was overjoyed to hear it anew in this boxed set. This time you get to also hear a recording of the relevant movements from the 3rd in German, from rather different forces.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          I got the 3rd (with the Russian Language vocal contributions).
                          I'd love to hear that! I don't know the Svetlanov or Kondrashin Mahler recordings at all. For a real bargain it'd be hard to beat Gary Bertini's cycle - some of the best performances available on disc, in excellent recorded sound, and all for £18 at the time I bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
                            For a real bargain it'd be hard to beat Gary Bertini's cycle
                            I agree, a very fine set of performances which I would recommend to anyone.

Comment

Working...
                            X