Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Yesterday’s charity shop haul:

King’s College Choir/Willcocks – Six Byrd Motets each paired with another composer’s setting of the same text (EMI)

Athena Ensemble – Nielsen, Wind chamber works (Quintet etc) (Chandos)

Schubert – Männerchöre (Songs for Male Voice Choir)/Voorberg (Acanta)

Emmerich Kalman – Gräfin Mariza (Operetta)/Marszalek – highlights. Cast including Fritz Wunderlich. (Acanta)

An interesting selection, particularly the last to add to my collection of obscure operettas.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

A non-charity-shop haul for once, but this being Cornwall it was from a bookshop...

Two Naxoses:

Weinberg Cello Sonatas ( 2 cello/pf, 2 solo cello)

Respighi La primavera; Quattro liriche su poesie popolare armene; La pentola magica

The Weinberg strikes me as worthwhile but not quite distinctive (= non-Shoster?) enough. That seems to be the conventional view of him. But I may check out his Cello Concerto which I find buried in a large Rostropovich box won in an EMI competition years ago

Now on to the Respighi, a composer I'm getting into a bit more deeply after long settling for his Roman Trilogy, The Birds, Ancient Airs and Dances without digging any deeper. Loved his orchestration of the Bach C minor passacaglia & fugue at the Proms last year though!
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Don Petter

Today from the junk shop: 'The Axe Manual' (Complete piano works of Harrison Birtwistle, played by Nicholas Hodges) for £1.

Hmm, still in its shrink wrap, which might be significant - have I been overcharged? (I'm not normally the greatest fan of contemporary music.) Time will tell.

Comment

• Osborn

Have you been overcharged, Don Petter?

Not really; it'll make an excellent bird scarer when glinting & spinning on a bit of string - you'll more than get your £1 back on a bumper fruit & veg crop

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
            Have you been overcharged, Don Petter?

Not really; it'll make an excellent bird scarer when glinting & spinning on a bit of string - you'll more than get your £1 back on a bumper fruit & veg crop
            I gather you're not a Birtwistle fan. I'll give it a go anyway.

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Good steer on that Brian release, Nethers.

There is also that recent disc of late fifties performances of the Ninth and Eleventh to put
              on the shopping list.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

HMS Pinafore - Decca Phase 4.

I'd heard somewhere that this is the worst G & S recording ever, because of the sound effects, such as seawater and seagulls. These didn't worry me in the least, but the very flat Phase 4 acoustic is more problematic - this from the recording company that has issued so many opera recordings with such a fine sense of depth.

It's a pity that Decca could not have done something really exciting with all that technical wizardary.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Three CDs arrived today. The John Tilbury/Keith Rowe double album "duos for Doris", and a CD of Khachaturian's 1st (revised version) and 3rd Symphonies (Tjeknavorian). Opposite extremes! Tilbury and Rowe playing more quietly than I have ever heard them (especially Rowe) play before (the album is dedicated to Tilbury's mother , Doris, who died 2 days before the recording), and what must be one of the noisiest, brashest, most kitsch symphonies of all time, Khachaturian's 3rd. I do have a soft spot for his 1st, however, and am please to alt last hear it in the revised version, rather than the original (as conducted by Gauk) that I was used to from my teens.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

After a very nice win on the horses this afternoon I've treated myself to Kubelik's recording of Schoenberg's Gurrelieder which I had on LP and which I unaccountably missed when it appeared on CD. This was always my favourite version and it will be good to make its acquaintance once again. Just ordered from Amazon Marketplace.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Winterrreise with hurdy-gurdy accompaniment. Certainly different but very appealing.

Comment

• BeethovensQuill

Now on to the Respighi, a composer I'm getting into a bit more deeply after long settling for his Roman Trilogy, The Birds, Ancient Airs and Dances without digging any deeper. Loved his orchestration of the Bach C minor passacaglia & fugue at the Proms last year though![/QUOTE

LeMartinPecheur

Respighi is a composer i admire greatly for his orchestration technique can i suggest to you 3 works for further investigations if your interested 1st and in my opinion Respighi's best work the Concerto Gregoriano

Then the Metamorphoseon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Respighi-Bel...=pd_sim_m_h__5

Finally the Adagio Con Variazioni http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swan-Philhar...9&sr=1-1-spell

All 3 works are different in tone to the Roman tone poems but they stay in the memory longer, well worth it if your interested in Respighi.

all the best

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

I found that Harold Moore shop near Oxford Street on Saturday! They have a good contemporary selection.
                          I also went to the Oxford Street HMV to buy Shostakovich String Quartet no.14 and 15 (I hear 15 is a reet good larf!)
                          And Bax Symphony no.2
                          And Lutoslawski Symphony no.3.

They will be revealed on my holiday in West Wales next week!
                          3VS

Comment

• Curalach

Arrived this morning: Henze Symphonies 1-6 BPO and LSO cond.Henze.
                            This is a two disc set from Brilliant via HMV.com at £6.99.
                            I had some of these on LP in the 60s no doubt at full price. How blessed we are to be able to obtain a body of work like this at such trifling cost.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
                              Arrived this morning: Henze Symphonies 1-6 BPO and LSO cond.Henze.
                              This is a two disc set from Brilliant via HMV.com at £6.99.
                              I had some of these on LP in the 60s no doubt at full price. How blessed we are to be able to obtain a body of work like this at such trifling cost.
                              Agreed: but what's the accompanying documentation like? As good as the original sleeve notes?

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                                Agreed: but what's the accompanying documentation like? As good as the original sleeve notes?
                                Probably not. It will take a visit to the attic to compare!
                                The booklet notes are by Malcolm MacDonald and copyrighted 2010. They extend to 3.1/2 pages covering all 6 works with a further 2 pages for track listings.
                                Seems adequate at the price.

Comment

Working...
                                X