Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    If my memory serves that was a Saga LP with George Hurst conducting. There were some really good Saga LPs - who owns them now and have any come out on CD other than the English Songs sung by JSQ?
    Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Janet Baker Schumann Schubert and Brahms CD Ref1142z at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!

And, glory be! https://www.heritage-records.com/sho...concertos-1-6/

Last edited by Bryn; 17-01-19, 18:25.

Comment

If you Google "heritage records" "saga" (replete with quotation marks), you will find one or two others. I well remember the Ireland Chamber Music LP.

Comment

Isn't this one - though without the similar cover - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bart%C3%B3k.../dp/B00E5D1BUQ

and maybe also the quintet on this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reginald-Ke.../dp/B017TA947S

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Isn't this one - though without the similar cover - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bart%C3%B3k.../dp/B00E5D1BUQ
          Same original source, but not via Saga. Like the Fine Arts Quartet's complete Beethoven String Quartets, they were Concert-Disc recordings.

Comment

Just tried to order something from MDT (free UK postage at the moment). When I tried to pay I got the message: Minimum order amount is £9,999,999,999,999,999,931,398,190,359,470,212,947 ,659,194,368.00

Somewhat beyond my budget.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              Just tried to order something from MDT (free UK postage at the moment). When I tried to pay I got the message: Minimum order amount is £9,999,999,999,999,999,931,398,190,359,470,212,947 ,659,194,368.00

Somewhat beyond my budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                If you Google "heritage records" "saga" (replete with quotation marks), you will find one or two others. I well remember the Ireland Chamber Music LP.
                I think this might be another - https://www.amazon.co.uk/J-S-Bach-Go.../dp/B07116WCL9 Millicent Silver, harpsichord.

Again, seems to be another via the Concert Classics route. Another I was looking for was Thea King's Mozart clarinet quintet, but the Saga version was with the Aeolian Quartet, the later CD version with the Gabrieli.

Comment

The Newstone Bach Brandenburgs are to be found on QOBUZ, so I expect other Heritage transfers are also there.

Listen to unlimited or download J.S. Bach: Brandenburg Concertos 1-6 by Harry Newstone in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Listen to unlimited or download John Ireland: Violin Sonata No. 2 - Fantasy-Sonata for Clarinet and Piano - Piano Works by John Ireland in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    Looking at both the Hänssler/SWR (2011) and SWR Classic (2018) release notes, all I can see is: 13-15.01.81 Hans Rosbaud Studio Baden-Baden. Where does it say live, rfg?
                    The NDR 3/81 Mahler 1st, briefly touched on (unspecified) in the notes, was live of course, and all too famously so, as the conductor died, aged 67, a few hours afterward...

But in any case, the Leningrad Phil recording (which the SWR note writer seems unaware of) certainly feels much more live and alive! If you love the reading do at least put the Russian one on a shortlist somewhere... I guess the only problem some might have with it is the swift andante (13'26 SWR, 12'40 Leningrad...)...
                    I agree, I just reread the liner notes and it clearly states a studio recording. I had reread the review in Fanfare after listening to the recording and perhaps it was the critic that made the claim. Maddeningly, I can’t find that issue at the moment...

Comment

Just delivered from Presto in large, flat corrugate card package, the Butt Messiah, Connolly/Smith/RSO Berlin/Jurowski Lied von der Erde SACDs + (the reason for the size and shape of the packaging) Mario Aschauer (Bärenreiter 2019) edition of Beethoven's Diabelli Variations (sheet music/score, 308 x 242 mm) with extensive Preface, Notes on Performance Practice, and Critical Commentary. All three purchased items at very competitive prices totaling £28.05.

Comment

The Psalms album from St John's College; the latest three releases of violin concerti in the Naive series. All very pleasant!

Comment

Nielsen: Complete Symphonies (LSO, Ole Schmidt) The first complete Nielsen Symphonies set, recorded in 1974. I found a "Used: Very Good" set on amazon.co.uk marketplace for £6.98 including p&p. IIRC, the Four Temperaments was a library choice. Even the cardboard outer sleeve is in fine condition.

Comment

Just bought a download. It's a Kindle book: Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann from Vintage in a good modern translation, £0.99 in Kindle daily deal. Quick!

Comment

Working...
                            X