X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Rudolf Serkin Beethoven Box on Sony

I bought the ultra budget box of Serkin in the 5 Piano Concertos and about 20 of the Sonatas. All the recordings date from the early 60s to early 70s.
    This is a most enjoyable set. I somehow never heard much of Serkins playing except for a few treasured recordings (his performance of the Trout Quintet from the Marlboro Festival has been a favorite for years). Serkin never seems like he is going through the motions. I particularly enjoy the two versions of the Choral Fantasy that are included. He plays them both in an almost maniacal style that fits this crazy quilt piece and makes me enjoy it for once on it's own terms, and not just because it sounds like a sketch for the 9th Symphony.
    There a couple of quibbles. The remasterings are very detailed. It almost seems like the had a mike at Serkins's feet to hear every pedal kick. And Serkin provides a fair amount of vocal obligatto which is captured quite distinctly.
    Still, a fantastic bargain, and great Beethoven.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

I was briefly led to believe Sainsbury's were offering the set at £10.99 but it turned out to be high data rate mp3s. Rarewaves at £16.93 including p&p (amazon.co.uk marketplace) seemed to be the most economical I could find. I have many of the recordings in their LP re-issue manifestation. Looking forward to renewing my acquaintance with them.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

I bought this box a couple of years ago but to my shame I have only got round to listening to it recently. I enjoyed the concerto performances a great deal and didn’t quite understand the critical disapprobation of the recording of the Third Concerto. A bit of a revelation for me,however, has been how alive and interesting Serkin makes the earlier piano sonatas.

Highly recommended if you can find a copy.
      Last edited by Barbirollians; 06-03-21, 00:26.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I hopefully will!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

There is this late set available from Germany - though I don't know how it compares with the other sets, and I also don't know what the costs of getting things from the EU even via Amazon are now. Have we got a view on that yet?

https://www.amazon.de/Rudolf-Serkin/...4517495&sr=8-3 9 CDs - some Beethoven, some Mozart, and some Brahms.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            There is this late set available from Germany - though I don't know how it compares with the other sets, and I also don't know what the costs of getting things from the EU even via Amazon are now. Have we got a view on that yet?

https://www.amazon.de/Rudolf-Serkin/...4517495&sr=8-3 9 CDs - some Beethoven, some Mozart, and some Brahms.
            Also available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rudolf-Serk...4517495&sr=8-3

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

I’ve been playing through the Columbia (er, Sony)set mentioned in the first post quite a bit lately, and discussing it another discussion group. I didn’t realize it’s been 9 years since I bought it.
              The DG set you reference is available from Amazon US for $35. I remember critics being down on These in general, but the contents are tempting-all those Mozart Concertos with Abbado, and the last 3 Beethoven Sonatas. I thought I had remembered a set of Beethoven Concertos with Barenboim conducting as well, but perhaps that was Rubinstein.
              The biggest oddity of the Columbia (oops again) set are the sounds of Serkin humming along. My present system is pretty resolving and catches these vocalizations all to well. Serkin and Glen Gould could have been choir mates.
              It’s a pity that DG didn’t get Serkin and Abbado in the Brahms Concertos. I’ve been playing the Serkin/Szell First Concerto lately. It is a great antidote for all the recent recordings that turn the first movement into a slab of dried out marmalade. It isn’t the total timing, as such, which is around 21 minutes. It’s the way that the line of momentum, the trajectory of the movement, doesn’t seem to get lost in Brahms byways.
              I’ve also got Serkin’s Sony box of Mozart concertos, with Szell and Ormandy as the Conductors. Perhaps I should compare the contents with the DG, which seems more extensive.
              Btw, you haven’t heard Beethoven’s Choral Fantasy until you have heard Serkin. Two versions are included in the Sony set. He really believed in it, played the solo part demonically, and the chorus always seems to be singing as if their lives depended on it

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

The Fifth with Bernstein is terrific too.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                  ........... Btw, you haven’t heard Beethoven’s Choral Fantasy until you have heard Serkin. Two versions are included in the Sony set. He really believed in it, played the solo part demonically, and the chorus always seems to be singing as if their lives depended on it
                  Thanks for the recommendation, worth looking out (streaming).. Yes, very spirited and committed. A work I would like to sing some day (came close once, but in the event it didn't appear on the programme of the said concert).

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

I think I prefer the earlier Choral Fantasia which does indeed underline the zanier side of the piece - than the one with Peter Serkin conducting.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

Played through the Mozart set, there are some good performances there but many are compromised by boxy mono sound, making that DG set more attractive...

Comment

Working...
                      X