X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Carl Nielsen Symphonies

Nielsen's music is still a relatively rare commodity in the Concert Halls here. I remember Henry Fogel, former CEO of the Chicago SO and a neighbor of mine, telling me how difficult it was to get the 5th Symphony programmed here.
    I received an early exposure in my teens. The Scandinavian Conductor and Nielsen champion Sixten Ehrling was Conductor - emeritus of my hometown Orchestra, the Detroit Symphony. I heard performances of 3, 4, and 5 as a teenager and college student and I just assumed that Nielsen's music was part of the standard rep.
    I really enjoy both of Blomstadt's cycles, with the Danish Radio SO and San Francisco. Bernstein did a great 3, and there are many good 4 and 5s to choose from.
    Is Nielsen more frequently played in the U.K. than here? Scandinavian composers have fared better on your side of the pond.
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Richardfg

There are usually opportunities to hear Nielsen's symphonies in the UK, as also Sibelius. However Nielsen 1 and 2 might be quite hard to find, as also some of his other music - Aladdin for example. Sibelius 1 and 6 are also relatively rarely performed. I don't think I've ever heard either of these composer's first symphonies performed live.

Having said that, even a "popular" composer, such as Tchaikovsky has works which do not often get an outing. Tchaikovsky's symphonies 1-3 are not often performed. I think I've only heard one live performance of any of these - number 3 Polish - my least favourite. I'd really like to hear Winter Daydreams and the Little Russian in concert. I have heard Manfred though.

Comment

• amateur51

Sir Colin Davis conducted a Nielsen symphonic cycle with the LSO at London's Barbican Centre fairly recently and the recordings of the live performances were released on LSO Live!

The London Symphony Orchestra inspires hearts and minds through extraordinary music-making – with concerts at home in London at the Barbican Centre and LSO St Luke's, on tour around the world, and online.

I'd say that Nielsen's symphonies nos 4 & 5 are well-established in British concert life but the rest have some way to go.

Happy hunting!

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

The SFSO/Blomstedt recordings really are superb and have stood the test of time as a central recommendation . Love Lenny's 3 & 5 and Barbirolli's 4 too .

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

SFSO/Blomstedt good but needs remastering, just a little hasty in parts... I suspect his earlier Danish RSO one would sound very fresh now, and there are Toshibas available too! But I've never yet heard that cycle. LSO/Schmidt is excellent throughout, revelatory in No.6, pretty good sound on the Regis incarnation. The Brilliant Box with Kuchar/Janacek PO is a brilliant bargain, especially in 1-3, perhaps just lacking a little firepower here and there, but with such a beautiful and dynamic recording it's one of the best. At the price, unmissable. With the Gothenburgers, the Myung Whun-Chung 1-3 and 5 are stunning, almost unsurpassable, top-notch BIS sound, but 4 & 6 with Jarvi are at an audibly lower emotional temperature... I haven't heard the later DG Jarvi cycle but it didn't review very well in the G., or the Penguin Guide.

There are a few curate's eggs of cycles aren't there? Schonwandt, so good in 2&3, less impressive elsewhere...

The recent NYPO/Gilbert disc of 2&3 got a lukewarm review from David Fanning in the Gramophone (12/2012), lacking in both sonic and musical qualities, "rather less than the sum of some admirable parts..."

Saw a terrific 4th here in Liverpool last year with the RLPO and Dausgaard!

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            SFSO/Blomstedt good but needs remastering
            They're digital recordings; why would they need remastering?

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Richardfg

There are usually opportunities to hear Nielsen's symphonies in the UK, as also Sibelius. However Nielsen 1 and 2 might be quite hard to find, as also some of his other music - Aladdin for example. Sibelius 1 and 6 are also relatively rarely performed. I don't think I've ever heard either of these composer's first symphonies performed live.

Having said that, even a "popular" composer, such as Tchaikovsky has works which do not often get an outing. Tchaikovsky's symphonies 1-3 are not often performed. I think I've only heard one live performance of any of these - number 3 Polish - my least favourite. I'd really like to hear Winter Daydreams and the Little Russian in concert. I have heard Manfred though.
              a progamme of Tchaikovsky 1 and Sibelius 1 would surely have them spilling out onto the pavements.....
              Sorry, OT.

(Edit, heard an amateur orchestra playing Winter Daydreams just the other week. great stuff.)
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• PJPJ
                • Nov 2010

......LSO/Schmidt is excellent throughout, revelatory in No.6, pretty good sound on the Regis incarnation.
                Still the recorded cycle I return to more often than any other. Berglund, RCA, paces very well, too.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                  They're digital recordings; why would they need remastering?
                  Well, if you have to ask...
                  They AUDIBLY need remastering, being a little dry and constricted, lacking atmosphere and live-ness, compared to the best. Chung on BIS and Kuchar on Brilliant are both streets ahead of those double deccas for bloom, acoustic presence and atmosphere, and sheer dynamic openness as the levels rise. "There's more "there" there" - and I can't remember who I stole that from.

Just comparing No.6 (i) with Kuchar and SFSO/Blomstedt... the Kuchar has both splendour and delicacy, draws you right into the hall, and is, for me, musically superior too.

Comment

• Parry1912
                    • Nov 2010

They AUDIBLY need remastering, being a little dry and constricted, lacking atmosphere and live-ness, compared to the best.
                    Are you suggesting the addition of some more reverberation?

Or do you have something else in mind?
                    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                      Are you suggesting the addition of some more reverberation?

Or do you have something else in mind?
                      Remastering ... Look, just Google it, OK?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        The SFSO/Blomstedt recordings really are superb and have stood the test of time as a central recommendation . Love Lenny's 3 & 5 and Barbirolli's 4 too .

Yes, barbirollians, comnpletely agree there! Lovely rsound and recording here.

I have Ormandy as well but I think Blomstedt fairs better.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Thomas Roth

The SFSO Blomstedt is by far the finest cycle yet and there is no need to remaster it. The sound is perfectly fine and gives a fair picture of the hall. Maybe Gilbert can reach the same heights, or even higher. His first SACD/CD is wonderful and the sound is fantastic. I sometimes laugh out loud when I read the sound ratings in Gramophone or from some other British listeners - what kind of equipment do you own? But then, many of you like Rattle as well, so....

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

SFSO/Blomstedt good but needs remastering, just a little hasty in parts... I suspect his earlier Danish RSO one would sound very fresh now, and there are Toshibas available too! But I've never yet heard that cycle. LSO/Schmidt is excellent throughout, revelatory in No.6, pretty good sound on the Regis incarnation. The Brilliant Box with Kuchar/Janacek PO is a brilliant bargain, especially in 1-3, perhaps just lacking a little firepower here and there, but with such a beautiful and dynamic recording it's one of the best. At the price, unmissable. With the Gothenburgers, the Myung Whun-Chung 1-3 and 5 are stunning, almost unsurpassable, top-notch BIS sound, but 4 & 6 with Jarvi are at an audibly lower emotional temperature... I haven't heard the later DG Jarvi cycle but it didn't review very well in the G., or the Penguin Guide.

There are a few curate's eggs of cycles aren't there? Schonwandt, so good in 2&3, less impressive elsewhere...

The recent NYPO/Gilbert disc of 2&3 got a lukewarm review from David Fanning in the Gramophone (12/2012), lacking in both sonic and musical qualities, "rather less than the sum of some admirable parts..."

Saw a terrific 4th here in Liverpool last year with the RLPO and Dausgaard!
                            There is an excellent Blu Ray of Dausgard and the Danish Radio Orchestra in the 3rd. The same Disc has Brahms 1, Sibelius 5, and the New World Symphony.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              a progamme of Tchaikovsky 1 and Sibelius 1 would surely have them spilling out onto the pavements.....
                              Sorry, OT.

(Edit, heard an amateur orchestra playing Winter Daydreams just the other week. great stuff.)
                              I love both of those pieces. Sibelius 1 turns up frequently on programs here but not the Tchaikovsky .

Comment

Working...
                              X