Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vaughan Williams: The symphonies

As with the Carl Nielsen Symhpnoy thread, there has been an embryonic start of RVW's great Symphonic canon. I have Vernon Handley's and Sir Andrew Davis's. i kinow people have discussed some cycles, but it be quite interesting to see their views in more depth?

I must be missing something here with the AD cycle, which some people find that the 6th is the best one?
    Last edited by BBMmk2; 07-03-16, 09:40.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    As with the Carl Nielsen Symhpnoy thread, there has been an embryonic start of RVW's great Symphonic canon. I have Vernon handlkey's and Sir Andrew Davis's. i kinow people have discussed some cycles, but it be quite interesting to see their views in more depth?

I must be missing something here with the AD cycle, which some people find that the 6th is the best one?
    The only cycle I have is the Boult HMV-ASD one, but I continue to fill up my shelves with lots of single discs. So at the minute I have the following, with favourites highlighted:

1. Haitink, Boult Decca and ASD, Previn.
    2. Previn, Hickox (orig version), Handley, Boult ASD & Decca, Barbirolli Pye, Haitink, Sir Henry Wood.
    3. Boult Decca, HMV and a live prom, Handley. Fond memories of the Previn too.
    4. Boult Decca and HMV, handley, del Mar (BBC MM), Berglund, RVW
    5. Boult Decca and HMV, Gibson. Again, fond memories of the Previn.
    6. Boult Decca, HMV and prom (I was at it but sadly I don't think it's great), Berglund
    7. Boult Decca and HMV
    8. Boult x 2, Haitink, Handley
    9. Boult HMV, Haitink
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

I have LSO/Previn and BBCSO/Andrew Davis. Previn's set is a runaway winner and am surprised it's not on your shelves, BBM!

I'd welcome any comment on Boult's second set http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vaughan-Will...6780183&sr=1-1. A real bargain by the look of it.

The only snag is getting yet another Sea Symphony, a work I find really difficult to take (sorry to all fans but...).
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

1. I have Handley, Previn and Haitink, of which I prefer the last because Handley's soloists are too often overpowered. I haven't listened to the Previn.

2. I have Handley, Previn (1972), Haitink and Hickox (original 1913 version). I prefer Handley because he keeps it moving, but Previn is excellent also.

3. I have Previn, Handley and Haitink. The first wins hands down in this one.

4. I have RVW, Previn, Haitink, Berglund. The last was a recent BaL winner. Frankly, none is completely satisfactory. Berglund slows down in two tricky passages in the finale (the composer drives on here and it sounds messy) and rushes the final bars.

5. I have Previn (RCA), Haitink, Handley, Barbirolli (1944 - Dutton transfer - and 1963) and Gibson. The transfer of the earlier Barbirolli is unsatisfactory, as is the recorded balance on his later version. I have yet to hear the Gibson. I very much like Handley and Previn (the latter more expansive) but have heard Haitink only once.

6. I have Previn, Haitink, Andrew Davis, Berglund and Hickox. The last was a BaL winner but I find that the recording lacks some of the necessary bite. Therefore I prefer Davis.

7. I have Previn and Haitink. I prefer the latter but Previn has the spoken superscriptions.

8. I have Previn, Haitink, Handley and Hickox. There is little to choose between them in my view.

9. I have Previn and Haitink. Previn is very convincing, but I have heard Haitink only once.

Comment

I'm sort of hanging on to see if the BBC is going to release the Andrew Manze & BBCSSO performances in any form (ie as commercial cds or MM cd)

Comment

I have Boult, Boult, Previn and Handley and I agree that Previn is the finest set. A pity Barbirolli didn't record them all.

Comment

My first real introduction to these symphonies was the Decca Boult set, although I was already familiar with No. 6 through its first recording, again with Boult on 78s. This was because we used it at school as incidental music to a production of Dr Faustus !

Both the complete set and No.6 with Boult were given excellent CD reissues, the latter on the Dutton label. Dutton are also to be thanked for RVWs ownrecording of No. 4, which is stunning.
              The EMI stereo set with Boult is very recommendable as well, particularly for No. 6, although some critics found it lacking in tension in that last ppp movement.

Of individual versions, I love Previn's recording of No. 3, it captures the rather unearthly quality of the music in a very haunting way. Handley does a wonderful Job with No. 5, and I would not like to be without Barbirolli either, not to mention his first ever recording of No. 8. I marginally prefer Boult in the Antartica, it conjures up memories of visiting the Ross Ice Shelf for me, Haitink is very good.

Bernstein is terrific in No. 4, coupled with an interesting American take on The Serenade to Music.

Hickox is in a special place with his Chandos recording of the original unrevised version of the London Symphony, perhaps its not for everyday listening, but fascinating

I've commented elsewhere on the disappointment I feel with the Andrew Davis cycle, but his Proms recording of No. 9 is superb, as is the EMI Boult.

Like many, I find the Sea Symphony less interesting than the others, but there is still something thrilling about that blazing opening.

Symphonies aside, could I also mention Job? One of my first LPs was Boult's mono Decca recording which had wonderful solo violin playing during Elihu's Dance. Boult recorded Job no less than four times, it must have had a special appeal for him. The recordings are ;- BBC SO 1946, LPO 1953, LSO 1972 ? and the LSO again on the Everest label.

One final comment. During my days in radio the 6th Symphony appeared in the schedules rather more frequently than it does today.Before the broadcast, technical staff were given strict instructions all the way down the line that on no account should the level be adjusted during the last movement. This was because there was a rule that if the signal peaked less than 2 on the ppm for more than 2 minutes it had to be raised, and naturally that would have ruined the effect. Imagine what Optimod does today, when it seems that nobody cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                I don't think you are missing much, Bbm - it's a good cycle of interpretations, and at the most recent price a genuine bargain. The Sixth is, I think, the best reading in that set (rather than "of all").

But IMO there are many better versions on offer - I have the mono Boult (never bettered as performances), Handley and Haitink, all of whom deliver real and very different performances of these magnificent works. It's been many years since I heard the complete Previn set, but I still have nos 1 (like Pet and ferretfancy, I find this a work that does very little for me ) 2, 3, 5, & 7 all on cassette: great performances all!

What they all have in common is their ability to overcome the pitfalls of the recording studio: these feel like the performances are being created at the moment of creation. Davis' sounds "studio-bound": the contrast with his Live Proms Ninth is very telling - lithe and powerful, the performers put everything they have into the work. None of the "careful" approach I feel marrs the studio recordings - or the artificial balances ferret mentions on the Nielsen thread.

I quite liked the Slatkin cycle when I first heard it - 'tho' obviously not enough to actually buy it! And if anyone were to find an off-air recording of Barbirolli complete set ... that'd be worth a Knighthood!
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

VW's Prom performance of his Fifth on Somm is well worth listening to - the orchestra responds with some rapt playing.

Comment

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                    VW's Prom performance of his Fifth on Somm is well worth listening to - the orchestra responds with some rapt playing.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/vaughan-william...iams-somm.html

... the studio recording of the Fourth is overwhelming, too!

Comment

Well, it looks as though there are three further cycles that I will have to purchase The hHitink, Boult andPrevin. I think all these are worth their wieght in gold!

Thank you Petrushka foir reminding me of AP's cycle!!
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I seem to be in the minority here, but of you asked me to choose between A Sea Symphony and Eine Alpensinfonie to take to my desert island, I would choose the former.

Comment

I do rather like The Sea Symphony. The 'blazing opening', etc. I think one of the best parts of this symphony, is 'On the Beach, at Night Alone'.
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Unless I've missed it the excellent Slatkin cycle has not had a mention. Although the recordings are not as good I've always preferred the earlier Boult 1-8 on Decca to the later EMI set. Handley very good not only the RLPO set but also LPO 2 and 6 done earlier and also Bryden Thomson on Chandos very worth a listen. Back in time a couple of NYPO 4ths from Bernstein and Mitropulos and a 6th from Stokowski. My order of preference like to like less is 5 3 2 6 4 7 8 9 1.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Unless I've missed it the excellent Slatkin cycle has not had a mention.
                              You missed it! (#8, beginning of last "paragraph")

Although the recordings are not as good I've always preferred the earlier Boult 1-8 on Decca to the later EMI set.
                              - the Ninth, recorded at around the same time (the composer, who supervised the recording sessions of the other Symphonies, died on the day the sessions for the Ninth started) was recorded for EVEREST and is available with the DECCA cycle in some re-issues.

My order of preference like to like less is 5 3 2 6 4 7 8 9 1.
                              Mine would be similar: 5 3 6 4 7 9 (Job) 2 8

- still waiting for the performance/recording of No1 that takes the scales from my ears! Maybe the Thomson, whose cycle I've never heard
                              Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 29-12-12, 15:52.

Comment

Working...
                              X