X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    And he uses the 1889-90 version as edited by Nowak, rather than the 'pick and mix' of the 1889-90 and 1887 versions as edited by Haas (with linking passagework by the editor.)
    Some people would consider that a downgrade....

Comment

• Karafan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
      Just in passing, the Bruckner 8 that is this month’s freebie with BBC MM is very good indeed. OK, the BBC SSO aren’t the Berlin Phil, but their playing is excellent. And Runnicles is a top-notch Bruckner conductor (as he is of Wagner), as the same combo’s 7th on Hyperion a few years ago also demonstrated. I’ve seen Karajan and Haitink perform the 8th live, and Runnicles is worthy of mentioning in the same sentence. Worth the price of the mag even if you don’t usually buy it.
      He conducted the 8th in a live Radio 3 concert very recently from City Halls, Glasgow - very fine performance!
      "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
        Some people would consider that a downgrade....
        Hmm. From what Haas wrote to what Bruckner did, eh? At least Brickner was in a position to say "no" to Schalk and co. and as far as Deryck Cooke is concerned, did, when it came to what was in the 1890 score.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Listened to the 1887 original in the Tintner recording today very enjoyable - all the versions leave me ambivalent, I can understand why Haas sought to reinstate parts of that version that were cut albeit as Bryn says unlike with Schalk et al Bruckner was not around to put in his three pennorth.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Somewhat vexed about Haas, Nowak, 1887 etc etc.....? Then try -

Bruckner Symphony No.8 (1892 Ed. Haslinger).
            Vienna SO/Volkmar Andreae rec.1953 Music & Arts CD 2009 from complete cycle).
            Listen to unlimited or download Bruckner : 9 Symphonien by Wiener Symphoniker in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Thrillingly taut, urgent and cogent, this 72’ 1892 8th is one the greatest on record. This First-Published Edition has numerous refinements of pace, dynamics and orchestration which are compelling to the listener, especially if you know Haas or Nowak well. Yes, it is Schalk-influenced but Bruckner authorised the publication (refusing some of the suggested cuts) and it was for many years the main performing version, used by Kna, Furtwangler and others.
            (For detail see Griegel/Marques, or best of all, delve into Korstvedt’s magisterial study of No.8 - CUP 2000).

A miracle of restoration by Aaron Z. Snyder, the orchestral strings/wind/brass clarity is remarkable, the brass snarling in their brilliance, power and penetration, yet without a hint of rhetorical grandiloquence. Andreae’s judging of the varying tempi is flowingly natural; and with the sound of old Vienna, especially in those lovely strings, it sounds like it was simply meant to be. In 1953, remember. In the blood.

Sometimes a bit too quick? Not really. Timings not due to consistently fast tempi, but the variation and flow.
            The answer, as ever….. give it time….
            It grips you from the first bar and never lets go. I discovered it a few years ago and it has remained my favourite 8th of all

​"This score surely deserves serious attention and - is it too much to hope? The passionate creative energies of modern-day conductors." (Korstvedt).

(OAE/Rattle, Bergen SO/Dausgaard..... dreaming, dreaming is free....
            ...or Currentzis....all on one valueformoney disc of course....)
            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 21-04-20, 14:12.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              Somewhat vexed about Haas, Nowak, 1887 etc etc.....? Then try -

Bruckner Symphony No.8 (1892 Ed. Haslinger).
              Vienna SO/Volkmar Andreae rec.1953 Music & Arts CD 2009 from complete cycle).
              Listen to unlimited or download Bruckner : 9 Symphonien by Wiener Symphoniker in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Thrillingly taut, urgent and cogent, this 72’ 1892 8th is one the greatest on record. This First-Published Edition has numerous refinements of pace, dynamics and orchestration which are compelling to the listener, especially if you know Haas or Nowak well. Yes, it is Schalk-influenced but Bruckner authorised the publication (refusing some of the suggest cuts) and it was for many years the main performing version, used by Kna, Furtwangler and others.
              (For detail see Griegel/Marques, or best of all, delve into Korstvedt’s magisterial study of No.8 - CUP 2000).

A miracle of restoration by Aaron Z. Snyder, the orchestral strings/wind/brass clarity is remarkable, the brass snarling in their brilliance, power and penetration, yet without a hint of rhetorical grandiloquence. Andreae’s judging of the varying tempi is flowingly natural; and with the sound of old Vienna, especially in those lovely strings, it sounds like it was simply meant to be. In 1953, remember. In the blood.

Sometimes a bit too quick? Not really. Timings not due to consistently fast tempi, but the variation and flow.
              The answer, as ever….. give it time….
              It grips you from the first bar and never lets go. I discovered it a few years ago and it has remained my favourite 8th of all

​"This score surely deserves serious attention and - is it too much to hope? The passionate creative energies of modern-day conductors." (Korstvedt).

(OAE/Rattle, Bergen SO/Dausgaard..... dreaming, dreaming is free....
              ...or Currentzis....all on one valueformoney disc of course....)
              Thanks, as ever, for another very valuable recommendation. I did not know about these recordings. I have now listened to No 8 on Spoty and it was a powerful experience, especially Adagio - flowingly natural, as you put it, and catching Bruckner's marking: "Feierlich langsam; doch nicht schleppend".

I had hardly heard of Volkmar Anrdeae and read up a bit. Interesting life and commanding huge respect at the time. Eg his reminiscence: "When Gustav Mahler, who had heard one of my concerts, invited me to be his successor as conductor of the New York Philharmonic, I was unable to obtain a leave of absence from the Swiss Army, of which I was an officer." Quoted from Fanfare review here.

Now for the Te Deum ...

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

That diminuendo on the bare-bones brasses' annunciation of death in (i) is quite something isn't it? And the gloriously swinging bounce Andreae gets when those trumpets add their thrilling quickening momentum in the final coda! The 1892 orchestration really does seem to make the piece even more beautiful. But it's the playing and the leading that makes it work so well.

Some excessive indiscipline in the 9th notwithstanding (Vienna 1950s... well... you know...never as bad as that infamous Scherchen stereo Eroica though) the Andreae is a terrific experience throughout..a precious link to an older tradition..... the 3rd (1890 Rattig) isn't played in my favourite edition but gets an amazing performance, in the 1st movement especially....and as I've often said, the Andreae 1st has longsince been my go-to...
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 21-04-20, 14:27.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                  He conducted the 8th in a live Radio 3 concert very recently from City Halls, Glasgow - very fine performance!
                  Delighted to see you posting again Karafan.

Comment

Working...
                  X