Stanford & Parry (1st recs on period instruments [!]) : The King’s Consort’s 100th CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keraulophone
    • Nov 2010

Stanford & Parry (1st recs on period instruments [!]) : The King’s Consort’s 100th CD

Andrew McGregor, ex-choral scholar (he reminded us again) and alto in Guildford Cathedral Choir, praised this 100th recording by The King’s Consort, the first on their new record label. The excerpted orchestral version of Sir Charles Villiers Stanford's Magnificat in A sounded resplendent, albeit with a more 'operatic' top line than we're used to; the music can take it!

At last some competition for David Hill's Winchester Cathedral Choir / Waynflete Singers / Bournemouth SO versions of choral-orchestral Stanford, Parry, Elgar (et al) cathedral classics, one of the initial batch of Argo CD releases (1991), though that one will, for me, always remain special for the superb quality of the boys' voices in the Winchester Cathedral acoustic, especially in that beautiful tune from Parry's Judith, 'Long since in Egypt's plenteous land'.

I Was Glad - Sacred Music of Stanford and Parry
    STANFORD: Magnificat and Nunc dimittis in A; Magnificat and Nunc dimittis in G; Magnificat and Nunc dimittis in Bb; Magnificat and Nunc dimittis in C
    PARRY: I was glad (1911 version); ‘Coronation’ Te Deum (1911); Blest pair of Sirens
    PARRY (orch. ELGAR): Jerusalem
    The King’s Consort, Choir of The King’s Consort, Carolyn Sampson (soprano), David Wilson-Johnson (bass), Robert King (conductor)
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

For reasons mentioned in the thread on Platform 3 I won't be buying a CD conducted by Robert King .

Comment

• Keraulophone
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      For reasons mentioned in the thread on Platform 3 I won't be buying a CD conducted by Robert King .
      I hadn't noticed your post on P3 when I put mine up, Barb. I'm inclined to agree with MrGG and Petrushka in that thread, although the two threads (re NYCGB & CE from Bramdean) that I contributed to on this unsavory topic, both swiftly closed down, incidentally, did attest to my position on such matters.

Some may agree with you that: "These types of offences are not those that I find easy to say simply someone has served their time. Anyway I won't be buying any of his CDs not matter how much they are raved about". It's clearly up to each of us to weigh the issues.

Comment

Working...
      X