Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Amateur51, just to let you know that there was also a reissue of Malcolm Binns in Hummel Piano Sonatas, from the same L'Oiseau Lyre vintage years:

Well worth a listen. Oh, that we could have more from the wonderful Florilegium catalogue!

Comment

• amateur51

Many thanks for the Hummel suggestion, MickyD

By way of exchange, and all brought to you by the magick that is Spotify, I suggest that you should type in 'Alexei Lubimov Beethoven' into the Spotify search box - and lo! you will find a CD that isn't even released until March '11 apparently, of Beethoven's 3 last piano sonatas on the Zig Zag Terrtories label, which tells us that the instrument used is an Alois Graf Pianoforte of 1828

Quelle richesse, as they say!

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Through the Night, this morning:
        1:01 AM
        Beethoven, Ludwig van (1770-1827)
        Sonata for piano No.24 (Op.78) in F sharp major
        Andrea Lucchesini (fortepiano - a copy of an instrument built in 1824 by the piano maker Conrad Graf)
        [Jonathan Swain said a copy of LVB's own]

1:12 AM
        Sonata for piano No.29 (Op.106) in B flat major "Hammerklavier"
        Andrea Lucchesini (fortepiano - a copy of an instrument built in 1824 by the piano maker Conrad Graf)

Interesting perhaps to those posting here. I enjoyed it.
        Last edited by kernelbogey; 04-02-11, 20:58. Reason: Missed Op106 out

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

Thanks for these recommendations - Alexei Lubimov once did quite a few Mozart fortepiano pieces for Erato in the 80s, but I haven't heard of him since.

Ah, Conrad Graf - in my opinion, the loveliest fortepianos of all. That original 1824 instrument can be heard in resplendent form on a reissue of the Beethoven violin sonatas by Jaap Schroder and Jos van Immerseel - a 3 cd set which I recommended a few weeks ago which is now available at a very attractive price.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            Thanks for these recommendations - Alexei Lubimov once did quite a few Mozart fortepiano pieces for Erato in the 80s, but I haven't heard of him since.
            A few? I have the boxed set of the complete Mozart Piano Sanatas played by Lubimov:

It can be found, new, form an amazon.co.uk marketplace supplier for £16.44 including UK p&p.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              Through the Night, this morning:
              1:01 AM
              Sonata for piano No.24 (Op.78) in F sharp major
              [Jonathan Swain said a copy of LVB's own]

1:12 AM
              Sonata for piano No.29 (Op.106) in B flat major "Hammerklavier"

Interesting perhaps to those posting here. I enjoyed it.
              Damn it. I meant to catch those on HD Sound. Must try the lower resolution version offered by the on demand iPlayer.

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                A few? I have the boxed set of the complete Mozart Piano Sanatas played by Lubimov:

It can be found, new, form an amazon.co.uk marketplace supplier for £16.44 including UK p&p.
                ...and what do you think of them, Bryn? I never got to hear them first time round.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Micky, it's awhile since I spun any of them but I recall finding them somewhat less engaging than the Brautigam recordings on BIS which I got shortly after, and which rather took over in terms of my Mozart keyboard sonata listening. Lubimov used three instruments for the set. The earlier sonatas were played on a modern instrument based on a 1788 Stein, numbers 7 to 9 (K309, 311 and 310) use different one based on various Stein instruments, and the later sonatas use one based on an Anton Walter c. 1795. I must get back to the Lubimov discs soon.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Micky - for what it's worth - like Bryn it's been a while since I listened to them - but - unlike Bryn - I recall finding them more engaging than Brautigam. Indeed I remember being surprised by how wonderful the Brautigam Haydn - and particularly the Beethoven - were... precisely because I had been a bit underwhelmed by the Brautigam Mozart as compared to the Lubimov Mozart.

If you can get it cheaply - and for a six-CD box at say £17 I think this is the case - then certainly go for it. Of course, you need the Brautigam for the Variations and other works...

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

I ought to add that if searching for the Lubimov at amazon.co.uk you should use the search terms "mozart" "sonatas" and "lubimov". They will lead you to the listing with the best third party price on it. The box is listed more than once, and at quite different prices.

Oh, and I also have the Anthony Newman survey of the Mozart sonatas on fortepiano. Probably best avoided unless you want something really quite idiosyncratic.
                      Last edited by Bryn; 05-02-11, 18:02.

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

Thanks, Bryn and Vinteuil, for all this information. At one point in the 1980s I collected two thirds of the Mozart sonatas recorded by Temenushka Vesselinova on fortepianos for Accent - do you remember that cycle? I am missing the third box, but to be honest on listening to it again, I find her rather hard driven.

To complicate matters further, I see that Harmonia Mundi have embarked on a complete cycle with Kristian Bezuidenhout, and it looks like he is throwing in other works too - variations, etc. So far I have seen nothing but rave reviews for these new recordings, so am wondering if I'm better off waiting!

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                          Thanks, Bryn and Vinteuil, for all this information. At one point in the 1980s I collected two thirds of the Mozart sonatas recorded by Temenushka Vesselinova on fortepianos for Accent - do you remember that cycle? I am missing the third box, but to be honest on listening to it again, I find her rather hard driven.
                          Volume 3 is available as a download at amazon.co.uk for just under £14. I don't have any of them though.

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

I have just come to the end of the final disc of this superb set. I should maybe have made a note of which discs I particularly enjoyed, but am in such an exquisite haze after a whole week of wonderful music that I think I'll start all over again!

Comment

Working...
                            X