The Bach Cello Suites - Further Versions ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

Thank you all for many helpful suggestions. I have been tempted, tested on utube & ultimately declined many interesting choices. So, the ultimate, for me anyway, was what I had originally hoped for;

1. Heinrich Schiff £ 5.47 @ Amazon & very exciting. Great praise from many quarters. He treats them as dances, no excess religiosity as per Isserlis. Although I delight in both aspects ( & a giveaway price too ! )

2. Jaap ter Linden £11.99 also Amazon. I am aware of the existencs of two versions, with thanks to those who have raised the matter. There is a difference but with the unavailability of the earlier version this is still well worth having. Obtained after much searching through Amazon & sold by Top-Music-UK.

Grateful thanks to all. I know both versions, the warmth & great respect of Jaap ter Linden & the excitement & unadulterated sense of fun emanating from Schiff. I have fond memories of watching him at a concert wrestling with the Kodaly sonata - needless to say, he won !

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

I managed to find an extract of Jaap ter Linden's earlier Harmonia Mundi recording - it has a very cavernous acoustic, maybe even too much for me, who usually likes such things. From a recording perspective, I would say the second Brilliant recording was the one to go for.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by gamba View Post
        Thank you all for many helpful suggestions. I have been tempted, tested on utube & ultimately declined many interesting choices. So, the ultimate, for me anyway, was what I had originally hoped for;

1. Heinrich Schiff £ 5.47 @ Amazon & very exciting. Great praise from many quarters. He treats them as dances, no excess religiosity as per Isserlis. Although I delight in both aspects ( & a giveaway price too ! )

2. Jaap ter Linden £11.99 also Amazon. I am aware of the existencs of two versions, with thanks to those who have raised the matter. There is a difference but with the unavailability of the earlier version this is still well worth having. Obtained after much searching through Amazon & sold by Top-Music-UK.

Grateful thanks to all. I know both versions, the warmth & great respect of Jaap ter Linden & the excitement & unadulterated sense of fun emanating from Schiff. I have fond memories of watching him at a concert wrestling with the Kodaly sonata - needless to say, he won !
        Another satisfied customer. Next!
        It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• gamba
          Late member
          • Dec 2010

Thanks Micky - glad to hear.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Heinrich Schiff does the best Bark yellow sweets ever. No-one comes close - Nuff said.

Update - I listened to a Scandinavian bloke doing 'em on Testify (premium, no ads) a while back. He was brill, can't remember his name.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
              Heinrich Schiff does the best Bark yellow sweets ever. No-one comes close - Nuff said.

Update - I listened to a Scandinavian bloke doing 'em on Testify (premium, no ads) a while back. He was brill, can't remember his name.
              Was it Truls Mørk, Beefy?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Ouch! Has anyone else just heard one Richard Tunnicliffe sawing his way through the Sarabande of no 6 on In Tune? Fingernails on blackboards.....

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  Ouch! Has anyone else just heard one Richard Tunnicliffe sawing his way through the Sarabande of no 6 on In Tune? Fingernails on blackboards.....
                  Very sorry to hear that, RT - he's lovely 'live'

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                    Yes. I was part way through cooking a chilli con carne and had to rush to mute the radio.

I had heard good reports of his recent recording on Linn. I can't believe it was his choice of cello - he'd swapped instruments for the 6th suite - the playing just sounded, well, rough.
                    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Working...
                    X