Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

I've just heard a clip of the new London Haydn Quartet Op.33 set and think it sounds superb, will definitely be adding it to the shopping list this month.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

The LHQ Op. 33 set arrived today, as did the EMI Wagner Great Operas box. Listened to the start of Rienzi in the car during the drive home. Now for some of the Haydn in comfort.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
        The Eybler Quartet's Haydn op.33 disc is wonderful. Not that I expect many Haydnists are in the market for a new HIP op.33, having ordered the London Haydn Quartet's new release, but it really is exquisitely played and the recording has superb detail and balance. I believe the Eyblers are made up of members of Tafelmusik.
        Thanks for posting the YouTube link. I have grabbed the aac file from it and put it on a USB stick, along with mp3s made from the same movement played by the Festetics, Mosaïques and LHQ. I listened to each a couple of time during the drive to work today. Both the Eybler Quartet and LHQ play at a clear presto. However, by comparison, neither the Mosaïques not Festetics get much up tempo of Allegro. The Eybler recording appears much closer miked than the LHQ. On the latter recording the sound of the Wyastone concert hall contributes to the more lively presence. The LHQ sound is quite 'prickly' compared to that of the Eyblers. I am now even more tempted to add the Eybler CDs to my HIPP Op. 33 selection, though I do feel the LHQ has the edge. I would put a bit more effort into saving their CDs from a burning house, I think.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Thanks for posting the YouTube link. I have grabbed the aac file from it and put it on a USB stick, along with mp3s made from the same movement played by the Festetics, Mosaïques and LHQ. Both the Eybler Quartet and LHQ play at a clear presto. However, by comparison, neither the Mosaïques not Festetics get much up tempo of Allegro. The Eybler recording appears much closer miked than the LHQ. On the latter recording the sound of the Wyastone concert hall contributes to the more lively presence. The LHQ sound is quite 'prickly' compared to that of the Eyblers. I am now even more tempted to add the Eybler CDs to my HIPP Op. 33 selection, though I do feel the LHQ has the edge.
          Cheers, Bryn. A really useful comparison, as I can't afford either set at present, but am able to listen to Eybler on Qobuz, whereas I'm restricted to samples for the Hyperion LHQ set. (Why, oh, why, don't they allow streaming? (Royalty issues, surely) If they did, I'd buy more of their discs!)

I would put a bit more effort into saving their CDs from a burning house, I think.
          and other 'back-slapping' emoticons.
          It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• reinerfan
            • Nov 2010

I shall be interested to learn how the London Haydn Quartet's take on Op.33 turns out. I bought the Op.17 and Op.20 sets but was put off by the rather sober-sides performances and the hurdy-gurdy sound.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Just resurrecting this old thread to see if anyone here would like to spice up the can of worms recently opened at amazon.co.uk re. the Haydn 'Harlequin' box.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

What a coincidence! After a few 'Haydn free' months, I've put on the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra's Symphonie 22, 63 & 80.

Very fine playing.

Comment

• verismissimo
                  • Nov 2010

Just resurrecting this old thread to see if anyone here would like to spice up the can of worms recently opened at amazon.co.uk re. the Haydn 'Harlequin' box.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1ABV...MxSXKVRELD2XWS
                  I presume the thinking at Universal went something like: 'Well, that issue of Hogwood's incomplete set of Haydn symphonies didn't go so well. Maybe people only want to invest in complete sets, so let's raid our HIPP back catalogue and put together a mix 'n' match with enough newness to appeal both to some new people and the diehards.'

Personally I doubt it will do any better in terms of sales. The only artist that has withstood continuous recycling in recentish years has been Callas. And even she had dipped dramatically in terms of sales.

Comment

Working...
                  X