Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven String Quartets on record

I am entering serious virgin territory here, but I am conscious of a serious gap in my collection of recorded music, namely, the Beethoven String Quartets and Grosse Fugue, which I am anxious to get to know far better than I do now!

May I plea for recommendations for the best - and well recorded - complete cycles of these great works which will not at the same time break the bank?

Originally posted by LaurieWatt View Post
    I am entering serious virgin territory here, but I am conscious of a serious gap in my collection of recorded music, namely, the Beethoven String Quartets and Grosse Fugue, which I am anxious to get to know far better than I do now!

May I plea for recommendations for the best - and well recorded - complete cycles of these great works which will not at the same time break the bank?
    Hi Laurie

For me, there are three aspects to this: 1) historical; 2) performance type (historically-informed, etc.), and 3) audio quality (superaudio, digital, analogue).

1) I like the Budapest String Quartet in their earliest recordings (1920s, 1930s) - they play with limited vibrato and the sound is really not bad for the time. There's also something unique in their playing - something ineffable - call it "feel" or some "emotional quality" - but it is lovely to hear. However, their discs seem hard to come by; the Busch Quartet are also a must-hear in some of the middle ('Razumovsky') and late quartets. Sound can be variable. Available on EMI and more recently Dutton. Of the post-war quartets, of which they are legion, I own some by the Quartetto Italiano who did a complete cycle, but the vibrato puts me off at times.

2) If you like period instruments (gut strings) and judicious use of vibrato, the Quatuor Mosaïques remain the touchstone in the early quartets (op.18). Available on Naïve.

3) In modern digital sound, I like the Hagen Quartett, who began a cycle on DG and have now begun re-recording on another label (reviewed none too favourably on last week's 'CD Review'). They, too, use limited vibrato. Lots of people seem to rate the Artemis Quartet's complete cycle (Virgin Classics) - very slick playing, faultless, but perhaps lacking in the above mentioned "feel". Another highly-rated quartet have just begun a complete cycle - Belcea Quartet - in super-audio sound, too. I believe our Bryn is a fan.

I don't own a complete cycle as I have never found one I have warmed too in total; therefore, I have various discs of various quartets, each offering something unique about these eternal works. My suggestion would be try and stream them first via Spotify/YouTube, etc., and see what type of playing pulls you in.

If I had to nominate a single disc for an entry point, though, I would recommend the below disc by the Borodin Quartet, from an earlier incomplete cycle (they recorded a complete one on Chandos later). Superb playing, superb sound, and my entry point into the quartets. It gives you a flavour of the middle and late works (so different!) and has the best slow movement I've yet heard in the gorgeous op.132. Possibly the most listened to disc in my collection.

Happy listening!
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Alban Berg Str QT

Comment

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
        Hi Laurie

For me, there are three aspects to this: 1) historical; 2) performance type (historically-informed, etc.), and 3) audio quality (superaudio, digital, analogue).

1) I like the Budapest String Quartet in their earliest recordings (1920s, 1930s) - they play with limited vibrato and the sound is really not bad for the time. There's also something unique in their playing - something ineffable - call it "feel" or some "emotional quality" - but it is lovely to hear. However, their discs seem hard to come by; the Busch Quartet are also a must-hear in some of the middle ('Razumovsky') and late quartets. Sound can be variable. Available on EMI and more recently Dutton. Of the post-war quartets, of which they are legion, I own some by the Quartetto Italiano who did a complete cycle, but the vibrato puts me off at times.

2) If you like period instruments (gut strings) and judicious use of vibrato, the Quatuor Mosaïques remain the touchstone in the early quartets (op.18). Available on Naïve.

3) In modern digital sound, I like the Hagen Quartett, who began a cycle on DG and have now begun re-recording on another label (reviewed none too favourably on last week's 'CD Review'). They, too, use limited vibrato. Lots of people seem to rate the Artemis Quartet's complete cycle (Virgin Classics) - very slick playing, faultless, but perhaps lacking in the above mentioned "feel". Another highly-rated quartet have just begun a complete cycle - Belcea Quartet - in super-audio sound, too. I believe our Bryn is a fan.

I don't own a complete cycle as I have never found one I have warmed too in total; therefore, I have various discs of various quartets, each offering something unique about these eternal works. My suggestion would be try and stream them first via Spotify/YouTube, etc., and see what type of playing pulls you in.

If I had to nominate a single disc for an entry point, though, I would recommend the below disc by the Borodin Quartet, from an earlier incomplete cycle (they recorded a complete one on Chandos later). Superb playing, superb sound, and my entry point into the quartets. It gives you a flavour of the middle and late works (so different!) and has the best slow movement I've yet heard in the gorgeous op.132. Possibly the most listened to disc in my collection.

Happy listening!
        Wow, Thropplenoggin, I am impressed and most grateful! I will go straight to Amazon for the Virgin Borodin Op 132. Is there a similar top recommendation for Op 131?

Comment

Originally posted by LaurieWatt View Post
          Wow, Thropplenoggin, I am impressed and most grateful! I will go straight to Amazon for the Virgin Borodin Op 132. Is there a similar top recommendation for Op 131?
          Alas, Laurie, I am still searching for the perfect op. 131. I will see what others recommend. As for op.135, another gem in the late quartets, I'd recommend the Hagen's earlier recording on DG: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...398175&sr=8-10

It's available s/h on disc but is hard to find at a reasonable price, though can, of course, be downloaded. Has the opening of the third movement ever sounded more exquisite? Has that lovely "breathy" quality in spades...
          It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
            Alas, Laurie, I am still searching for the perfect op. 131. I will see what others recommend. As for op.135, another gem in the late quartets, I'd recommend the Hagen's earlier recording on DG: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...398175&sr=8-10

It's available s/h on disc but is hard to find at a reasonable price, though can, of course, be downloaded. Has the opening of the third movement ever sounded more exquisite? Has that lovely "breathy" quality in spades...
            Can't wait! Thank you. L

Comment

I am very happy with my LPs of the Amadeus Quartet, but I suppose some may now find them a bit old fashioned. I also very much like the Alban Berg Quartet in the middle quartets.

'The Rough Guide to Classical Music' (which as I've said before, is very informative and not at all rough) recommends the Lindsay, Vegh and Emerson Quartets for the complete set.

Comment

I remain delighted with the accounts by the Artemis Quartet on Virgin Classics.

Comment

I've listened to lots, and find my complete set of the Quartetto Italiano about as close to perfection as one can get this side of Paradise. Maybe too refined for those who like a few rough edges, but for me their late quartets in particular are ethereally beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                    I've listened to lots, and find my complete set of the Quartetto Italiano about as close to perfection as one can get this side of Paradise. Maybe too refined for those who like a few rough edges, but for me their late quartets in particular are ethereally beautiful.
                    I agree, RT - magnificent playing. Of currently performing quartets, I have been impressed by performances from the Belcea, Leipzig and Henschel quartets (I don't have recordings by them but I'm referring to live concerts I've attended and R3 broadcasts).

Comment

I have the Op 130 with the Grosse Fugue played by the Smetana Quartet on Supraphon LP.
                      I don't know if it is available on cd but I can't recommend the old recording highly enough.

Comment

I've grown up with the Quartetto Italiano's complete cycle of Beethoven quartets. When they were released through the 60s and 70s they were considered the benchmarks by which other quartets were measured. They still sound fabulous today. Among contemporary groups, I would endorse the enthusiasm for the Belceas.

Comment

I am partial to the Hungarian Quartet. Virtually every Quartet with a recording contract has had a go at these works. You may want to sample some on Spotify and then see which agrees with you the most

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                            I am partial to the Hungarian Quartet. Virtually every Quartet with a recording contract has had a go at these works. You may want to sample some on Spotify and then see which agrees with you the most
                            Excellent suggestion, rfg

Comment

Having seen a couple of their performances at their recent complete cycle, I'd suggest the new Belcea set, only vols 1 and 2 so far but the rest soon. Excellent recordings too.

Comment

Working...
                              X