X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Odd CD cover

I just stumbled upon this one. http://www.musicweb-international.co...ISSACD1894.htm

Can anyone think of a reason why the CD cover shows someone with an axe and a very large tree trunk? Perhaps if it was an abstract image I wouldn't be concerned, but it's not, so I wonder what it's go to do either with Mozart or the artists on the CD.
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    I just stumbled upon this one. http://www.musicweb-international.co...ISSACD1894.htm

Can anyone think of a reason why the CD cover shows someone with an axe and a very large tree trunk? Perhaps if it was an abstract image I wouldn't be concerned, but it's not, so I wonder what it's go to do either with Mozart or the artists on the CD.
    Would be more appropriate for Pink Floyd's 'Careful with that axe Eugene'

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

there was a thread months and months ago about strange CD covers, but I wouldn't know how to find it

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

Getting rid of the deadwood of past performance practice?

Comment

• whitecot
          • Jan 2013

From further down in the review:

The choice of photo for the cover of this release may seem surprising, but it is part of a series: ‘From Forest to Concert Hall – build your own fortepiano’. As us country bumpkins can see, the man on the log is not wielding an axe, but what might technically be described as ‘a dirty great mallet’. This is for hammering in wedges with which to split a linden tree, which we are told is the raw material for the heads of the hammers which strike the strings.

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            there was a thread months and months ago about strange CD covers, but I wouldn't know how to find it
            Like this you mean?

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by whitecot View Post

The choice of photo for the cover of this release may seem surprising, but it is part of a series: ‘From Forest to Concert Hall – build your own fortepiano’. As us country bumpkins can see, the man on the log is not wielding an axe, but what might technically be described as ‘a dirty great mallet’. This is for hammering in wedges with which to split a linden tree, which we are told is the raw material for the heads of the hammers which strike the strings.
              Ah - thanks for the clarification. I didn't read the whole review, and indeed my first sight of the cover was on Amazon. As I'm still not absolutely sure that copying links from that site doesn't sometimes include my id (I don't want even the slightest possibility of you guys buying more CDs on my behalf - I can do that well enough myself!), I often look for alternative sites which won't, so all I checked was the image of the cover, not the text.

Re the mallet/axe distinction - I'm not expert enough to tell, given the rather blurry nature of the image when I first looked at it.

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                Like this you mean?
                the very one - how clever of you

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

First find your chosen tree to build the framework of the instrument you are to build:

then chop it down and set to work accessing the wood:

then check the specification/measurements of the original you are deriving your design from ...
                  Last edited by Bryn; 16-05-13, 08:23.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by whitecot View Post

Even for a marketing dept, it's a bit of a stretch to think that anyone is going to be so riveted by the cover art that they will buy the whole series just to find out how to make an Fp.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                      Even for a marketing dept, it's a bit of a stretch to think that anyone is going to be so riveted by the cover art that they will buy the whole series just to find out how to make an Fp.

Presumably if a modern piano was the instrument of choice there would be pictures of an iron ore mine, smelting, etc. (If my memory serves the previous thread had suggestions that there should be pictures of sheep - or is it goats? - being slaughtered to provide the gut for strings)

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Just ordered:

from MDT via the amazon.cop.uk marketplace (slightly cheaper than buying directly from the MDT site).

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

It's not a classical music CD but the cover from the Barry White album 'Sings for Someone You Love' is terrible. I'm not even sure which part of the human body that piece of flesh is taken from. Link:

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                            It's not a classical music CD but the cover from the Barry White album 'Sings for Someone You Love' is terrible. I'm not even sure which part of the human body that piece of flesh is taken from. Link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barry-White-...ds=barry+white
                            How do you know it's human? How do you know it's "real"?

Comment

Working...
                            X