• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
    Now this is very frustrating. I'd mentally put Keilberth in the "dull Kapellmeister but good at Wagner" box and so have largely ignored him, even when spotting cheap copies of the Orfeo Bruckner....

Now I want to investigate but everything seems v expensive!
    Try that nice cheap 'Arabella' linked to in my post above...

PS here's the link again

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Strauss-Arab...rauss+arabella
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 22-05-13, 12:01. Reason: Adding link
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• verismissimo
      • Nov 2010

Just taken delivery of (and spinning) the inexpensive 1952 Gotterdammerung. Exciting!

And ordered the Arabella as instructed by Cali.

Comment

• visualnickmos
        • Nov 2010

Keilberth is a conductor I have no listening experience of whatsoever. Am I right in assuming he is pretty much pre-stereo days?

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
          Keilberth is a conductor I have no listening experience of whatsoever. Am I right in assuming he is pretty much pre-stereo days?
          Possibly - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Keilberth - though his Bayreuth Flying dutchman is definitely in stereo and very well worth hearing. I also think the Dvorak cello concerto with Hoelscher is/was stereo, though he also lived in a period when fake stereo was being played with for domestic consumption.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
            Just taken delivery of (and spinning) the inexpensive 1952 Gotterdammerung. Exciting!
            Which one are you referring to, verismissimo?
            Last edited by Guest; 29-05-13, 21:01. Reason: Clarification - less is more

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

You could always waste a few euros here - http://www.classicalmusicmobile.com/..._search=Search

6 euros should do it.

Comment

• verismissimo
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Which one are you referring to, verismissimo?
                This one, am: http://www.amazon.co.uk/G%C3%B6tterd...rung+keilberth

BTW the 1955 Ring cycle on Testament is in stunning stereo. A really great cycle IMO.

Comment

• verismissimo
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I had his recording of Arabella with Lisa della Casa and DF-D on cassette and played it to death - great stuff. Given a good-looking reissue at good value lately http://www.amazon.co.uk/Strauss-Arab...rauss+arabella

Bought this on your recommendation, Cali. Conducting superb and Della Casa ideal.

Comment

• slarty

there are also the following CDs available on Orfeo
                    Beethoven Coriolan Ov Symphonies 7&8 Bayerischen Runfunks Symphony Orchestra 1967 stereo
                    Mozart K 550 and Brahms 2 BR Symphony Orchestra 1966 stereo

there are also the following complete performances on You Tube.
                    Beethoven Sym9 NHK Symphony Orchestra Tokyo 25.12.1965 live stereo
                    Brahms Sym 1 NHK Symphony Orchestra Tokyo 14.5.1968 live stereo
                    Bruckner Sym 4 NHK Symphony Orchestra Tokyo 21.5.1968 live stereo
                    Also his Die Frau Ohne Schatten, also recorded by DG at the newly reopened Bayerisches Staatsoper in 1963 is now available for pennies from Brilliant Classics.

His 1955 Tannhäuser from Bayreuth is also available from Orfeo in fine sound.
                    his 1954 Tannhäuser from Bayreuth can be Heard- on youtube. Different protagonists Vinay 54 and Windgassen 55.

someone of his Teldec Recordings are still available from Japan.
                    One of the great conductors, he never gave a poor performance.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

Has anybody got the Keilberth Der Freischutz? Some of the vocal balances are a little odd, but I have a soft spot for the Wolf's Glen scene, which comes over well on CD.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                        Has anybody got the Keilberth Der Freischutz? Some of the vocal balances are a little odd, but I have a soft spot for the Wolf's Glen scene, which comes over well on CD.
                        IMO Keilberth's Wolfsschluchtszene and Matacic's rendition are the most impressive on record.

Comment

• gradus
                          • Nov 2010

As recommended up-thread, the 1963 live Meistersinger from the re-opening of the Munich opera house is an affectionate performance to gladden the heart with some lovely singing from Claire Watson and Jess Thomas as well as Hotter as Pogner. Its in stereo too.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Try that nice cheap 'Arabella' linked to in my post above...

PS here's the link again

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Strauss-Arab...rauss+arabella
                            Caliban: many thanks for that steer! My copy arrived yesterday and I've just spun it - delightful (bar the Act III cuts and the track-summary instead of full libretto, but fortunately one from an LP set was to hand).

One very surprising thing though - after 40+ years this set has at last pretty much persuaded me that DF-D really was a great singer, and one I can even enjoy listening to...in this set at least!

[Previously, respect yes, toleration sometimes, but not a lot more...]
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Just had a look at that - £32! I don't know what it was 2 years ago, when Pet posted the link. However, Presto have it for about £10 less

Comment

Working...
                              X